Windows 10: USB (Thumbdrive) has Explorer automatically opening

Discus and support USB (Thumbdrive) has Explorer automatically opening in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Here's something absolutely startling that's been happening lately. When I insert a USB drive into my computer, close down Windows Explorer, put the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Maggidon, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Maggidon Win User

USB (Thumbdrive) has Explorer automatically opening

Here's something absolutely startling that's been happening lately. When I insert a USB drive into my computer, close down Windows Explorer, put the machine to sleep and then decide it's had enough rest so awaken it, Windows Explorer will automatically pop up.
    If I remove the device (USB drive) then put the computer to sleep, awaken it, Windows Explorer does not open. Should I have the Fire Department on speed dial or is there a logical or illogical reason for this happening? Should the latter be the case, then is there a way to stop that or is this normal? Please type very slowly in order for me to understand. Thanks.

:)

Maggidon, Jul 5, 2016

2. 4GB thumbdrive only shows 2.22MB capacity in File Explorer...

Hello. I have a 4GB thumbdrive, but File Explorer only shows that it has 2.22MB capacity. Any ideas? (There is a version of Linux on this thumbdrive, in bootable disk mode.) Thanks.

PlainDavid, Jul 5, 2016
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 5, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Go to Control Panel (View by: Large Icons) > AutoPlay.

Set the Removable Drive to "Take No Action".
    USB (Thumbdrive) has Explorer automatically opening [​IMG]

See how it goes. Let us know.

5. Maggidon Win User
    Oh my, I think your fix fixed it. Permit me to ask this before I retire to sleep, where it previously asked "choose a default" ... once the selection is made, there is no going back to each of those areas under "removable drive" pictures, videos, music, mixed content and putting it back to "choose a default" correct? Not that I need to and also I do not see that option listed, I thought I'd ask for question's sake. Thank you for the help. In the early morning, I'll give this a whirl again and if it still works, I'll mark this as solved. Again, thank you so much for helping me out.

Maggidon, Jul 5, 2016
  6. derekimo Win User
    derekimo, Jul 5, 2016
  7. Maggidon Win User
    Thank you Arc for the help. Your instructions worked perfectly. As to my last question, I'm glad you pointed that out for I would have had to go to great lengths to look at the bottom of the Window and see "Reset all defaults." Sometimes I wonder how I can perceive there's a computer in front of me!????!
    Anyway, glad you came in on this. Thank you again!!!

Maggidon, Jul 5, 2016
  8. ARC
    Arc Win User

You are welcome. *Smile
    The second one is @derekimo, not me. *Smile

9. Maggidon Win User
    Thanks for pointing that out Arc. USB (Thumbdrive) has Explorer automatically opening :)
    Sorry for that oversight derekimo. I seriously appreciate your help. Thank you so much!!! USB (Thumbdrive) has Explorer automatically opening :)

Maggidon, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. USB (Thumbdrive) has Explorer automatically opening - Similar Threads - USB Thumbdrive has

2. How do I open up a thumbdrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I open up a thumbdrive?: I cannot open up my thumbdrive to make sure files are there https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-up-a-thumbdrive/4e4a071b-5300-42b9-9f83-19e0cebf9b40
  3. How do I open up a thumbdrive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I open up a thumbdrive?: I cannot open up my thumbdrive to make sure files are there https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-up-a-thumbdrive/4e4a071b-5300-42b9-9f83-19e0cebf9b40
  4. How do I open up a thumbdrive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. File explorer automatically opens

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer automatically opens: Yes, i would like to know how to stop my file explorer to open up whenever i open my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-automatically-opens/e46b39ed-2e4c-4647-a870-2a9f5d6355af
  6. File explorer automatically opens

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer automatically opens: Yes, i would like to know how to stop my file explorer to open up whenever i open my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-automatically-opens/e46b39ed-2e4c-4647-a870-2a9f5d6355af
  7. USD thumbdrive

in Windows 10 Customization
    USD thumbdrive: How do I show a connected USB drive on the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usd-thumbdrive/b54c8a33-fb59-48b5-af63-1032122b64f4
  8. Cannot read files on unlocked bitlocker usb thumbdrive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot read files on unlocked bitlocker usb thumbdrive: Hi, I am trying to adapt to the new security restrictions put together by my company which means that all external devices harddrive or thumbdrives need to be bitlocker encrypted to receive files from my computer. However I am faced with a problem after encrypting on a...
  9. downloading to a thumbdrive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    downloading to a thumbdrive: I am trying to download an update for my Garmin onto a thumbdrive to transfer to my car. It begins the process but stops at 4.5%. Any thoughts on why I cannot complete the download?...
  10. File Transfer From PC To USB Thumbdrive Using Windows Explorer Has Problems.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File Transfer From PC To USB Thumbdrive Using Windows Explorer Has Problems.: I've been trying to transfer folders from my PC (folder on desktop) to my 2TB USB thumbdrive. I have a folder on my desktop that had about 20-30 folders that had anywhere between 1GB to 4GB in each one. Transferring them to the thumbdrive resulted in some of the folders on...