Windows 10: USB Wi-Fi adapter not showing on tray

Discus and support USB Wi-Fi adapter not showing on tray in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Latest driver installed, StarTech USB300WN2X2D, Mediatek/Ralink RT3572L ​ [img] 18087 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LarryWind, Aug 20, 2015.

1. LarryWind Win User

USB Wi-Fi adapter not showing on tray

Latest driver installed, StarTech USB300WN2X2D, Mediatek/Ralink RT3572L

USB Wi-Fi adapter not showing on tray [​IMG]

:)

LarryWind, Aug 20, 2015
  2. Teddy2016 Win User

Wireless usb adapter

Hi!

I just plug in the usb adapter and let windows search for drivers, I do not use the disk that came with the wireless plug. Use the connection manager in system tray to configure the adapter. There is also Wi-Fi in start > settings > network & Internet >
    Wi-Fi

Teddy2016, Aug 20, 2015
  3. No mobile Hotspot option in my desktop computer.

Hi MercyMonica,

to check if your desktop PC is equipped with the wi-fi adapter, go to Device Manager> network adapters, check if it is present. Or post the screenshot.

If the wi-fi adapter is not present, you can purchase and install a compatible wi-fi usb adapter (usb key wi-fi) for Windows 10.

Note: What DaveM121 claims is not true, mobile hotspot must be able to work even if the Wi-Fi adapter driver does not support the hosted network.

Mobile hotspot and hosted network use completely different network protocols.

franco d'esaro, Aug 20, 2015
  4. USB Wi-Fi adapter not showing on tray

Is this a driver for Windows 10? I am waiting for one from D-Link for my USB Wi-Fi adapter.

alkaufmann, Aug 20, 2015
  5. LarryWind Win User
    no, the driver it's for windows 8 but it works, the only problem is can't connect/switch from tray list

LarryWind, Aug 20, 2015
  6. When I upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro my driver and the Wi-Fi management software seemed to work too. My system works much better since I uninstalled the software and remove that device. I know D-Link is working on a Windows 10 driver and I will wait for it.

alkaufmann, Aug 20, 2015
  7. LarryWind Win User
    November version fixed this

LarryWind, Dec 17, 2015
  8. USB Wi-Fi adapter not showing on tray

Just tried to install my DWA-182 adapter on the latest Windows 10 Pro build, the D-Link driver install program got stuck in the middle of the install. I had to end that task and now whatever it did won't uninstall. :-(

alkaufmann, Dec 17, 2015
  9. As a fellow Canadian, I assume you are going to the D Link Canada support site to get the driver for the DWA - 182. For some strange reason the U.S. site has driver 3.03 B04 while the CDN site has 3.05. That's the driver as long as you have firmware C (not A) on your adapter, which you can read from the box it came with.

That 3.05 driver is a Windows 10 driver, at least that's what D Link told me and if you unzip the driver files you will see a directory for Win 10 x64, x86. But you are right, the driver won't install. Why? Because it's not digitally signed. I explained this to D Link in a 35 minute chat. Finally they started to listen and said they would investigate and get back to me. Still waiting.

What does work (all the time) are Brinks Windows 10 tutorials. If you search, he has one somewhere on how to install a digitally UNSIGNED driver. You restart in trouble shoot mode and select the option (7 maybe) to install an unsigned driver. I did that to see if the 3.05 would install. I didn't want the software, just the driver and wanted to make sure the files from the d link windows 10 X64 driver got installed. I unzipped the driver files, device manager, have disk and pointed to the unzipped win 10 x64 d link driver. It took a while, but it installed. So now it says I have D Link driver 1030.0.505, 2015 installed and to no surprise to me it says "not digitally signed". Thank you Brink.

The driver works but I find it flakey. It causes slow shut down as "Switch USB 2.0/3.0" often hangs at shutdown. My system only supports 2.0 so in the advanced driver options I set it to USB 2.0 instead of automatic. That helped a bit but I still find shutdown/restart slow with the d link driver.

My laptop (older that my Alienware) has wireless on the motherboard. No issues at all. I find Windows 10 drivers for USB wireless to be a nightmare. Microsoft needs to have a chat with these manufacturers. Nothing about Windows 10 can be enjoyed when one constantly has connectivity issues because of poor or no wireless USB drivers released by the manufacturers.

specialkone, Dec 17, 2015
  10. Yes I went to the CA d-link website and got the latest driver for my "A1" adapter. What I will try is connect the laptop with an Ethernet cable and then connect the adapter. Maybe Microsoft will just install the driver.

alkaufmann, Dec 17, 2015
  11. Oh, firmware "A". That's unfortunate. I had an Asus N53 adapter. It was causing me problems, very slow downloads. I bought the D Link DWA-160. I asked D link when a Win 10 driver would be available. Kept getting "No ETA" from them. Not good. I asked them what adapter has windows 10 drivers as I can still return the DWA -160. They told me DWA-182 but get the adapter with firmware C, which is what I have.

That CDN site has a floating chat window. I assume you have or will ask them when a Windows 10 driver for firmware A will be out. Honestly hope you won't or didn't get the "No ETA" response. No drivers or drivers where the digital signature has expired. Man, Microsoft needs to give D Link a tutorial.

specialkone, Dec 18, 2015
  12. Yeah, I got A'd by D-Link. *Sad

I just plugged in the adapter and then went into the device manager to update the driver. I browsed to the location where I had unzipped the driver and selected the Win8.1 x64 folder. Windows installed that driver and I got a 866.5 Mb/sec connection. I rebooted a couple of times and it seems to be working. *Party Maybe the latest Windows build 11082 changed something. Right now the only thing I don't have is the D-Link management software and I don't care about that.

As usual after working for several re-starts it worked fine and then it stopped working. No reason why.

Ak

alkaufmann, Dec 18, 2015
  13. USB Wi-Fi adapter not showing on tray

I think there might be a UAC Windows 10 issue in running the D Link setup file. I believe there is yet another Brink tutorial for that. I don't care either as I don't want the management software installed. I told D Link that even their install CD with the C firmware adapter won't run under Windows 10 (perhaps UAC). They said "what?"

I'm getting 32.2MBPS download speed which I believe is 3.9 megs per second. My plan from my provider is 25MBPS speed so I'm happy with those results. I did notice, however, that my speed is much slower under 2.4G band as opposed to 5G because of interference. In advanced driver options you can set it to 5G preferred or perhaps do that with your provider's software to see where you get the best performance.

specialkone, Dec 18, 2015
  14. I gave up on the Dlink DWA-182 A1 version; I doubt Dlink will put out a new driver for a product they no longer sell. I just bought myself a C1 version on Boxing Day - it was too cheap to resist. *Smile It installed, it connects every time I boot up and I am getting 867mbps connections. I also have not suddenly lost the Internet connection while downloading.

Also for a long time my laptop has not been shutting down properly and it always resumes and I blamed Windows 10. All of a sudden my laptop shuts down properly and I think it is because of the newly installed Windows 10 64bit driver from Dlink. You need to be wary of 8.1 drivers that you are told work with Windows 10.

alkaufmann, Dec 26, 2015
  15. I couldn't agree more. When I bought the D Link DWA 160 I noticed the box said Windows 8.1. I called the sales clerk at Staples who said he "thinks" it will work with Windows 10. Wasn't good enough for me so he called the manager who went in the back office, came back and said it will work on Windows 10. Didn't occur to me that he likely was just talking to his wife, finishing his lunch or flipping a coin on the yes/no answer he would give me. My desktop wouldn't even shut off with the DWA 160 and its "Windows 8.1" driver.

Before returning the DWA 160, I went to the driver download sites of manufacturers, D Link, Asus and Netgear, looking for Windows 10 drivers. There was the D link DWA 182 version C, Netgear WNDA 3100 V2&V3 and I believe the Asus AC 51 AC600 adapters with Windows 10 driver downloads. Staples had the DWA 182 so I got that. I have no connection problems with the 182 and the windows 10 driver although I'm still looking for a signed version of the driver. I do still get the message "Switch USB 2.0/3.0 is preventing shutdown" but it only takes a few seconds for Windows 10 to shut it down and close properly.

And indeed, I suspect many people upgrading to Windows 10 with lost connectivity and shut down issues will be thinking it's a Windows 10 issue when in cases like this it's obviously USB wireless manufacturers' Windows 8 drivers causing the problem. To add to that, you have stores telling you that the Windows 8 driver will work just fine with Windows 10. Not always the case.

IMHO this is a serious issue. I'm sure people especially on this site have more impressive start menus than I have, but I love my start menu. I have Cortana tracking certain stocks, at a glace I see the price of oil, important news, traffic in my area, etc. None of these Windows 10 features will work if you can't connect to the internet which is why I keep saying Microsoft needs to step in and have a chat with these manufacturers or produce a list themselves of USB wireless adapters that will work with Windows 10. If they produce such a list, I haven't seen it.

specialkone, Dec 26, 2015
Thema:

USB Wi-Fi adapter not showing on tray

1. USB Wi-Fi adapter not showing on tray - Similar Threads - USB adapter showing

2. Wi-Fi Adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi Adapter: My laptop will no longer connect to the Wi-Fi. The network adapter says it is enabled but is not connected. I have tried device manager to uninstall and reinstall the network adapter. However that does not work. My question is how do I get it connected even though it says...
  3. Wi-Fi Adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi Adapter: My laptop will no longer connect to the Wi-Fi. The network adapter says it is enabled but is not connected. I have tried device manager to uninstall and reinstall the network adapter. However that does not work. My question is how do I get it connected even though it says...
  4. USB Wi-Fi adapter showing up as removable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Wi-Fi adapter showing up as removable: Running a fresh install of Windows 10 version 21H1, fully updated.I'm using a USB Wi-Fi adapter because my motherboard's Ethernet port stopped working after a lightning struck my home.This adapter currently shows up as a removable device which it is, but I'd like to trick...
  5. Wi-Fi adapter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wi-Fi adapter: My comuter says it has a Wi-Fi adapter but I can't get Wi-Fi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-adapter/b9617a96-78c2-46d9-874b-409565f9036c
  6. Wi-Fi adapter

Wi-Fi adapter: My laptop won't connect to WiFi. I opened the 'Device Manager' and don't see my wifi adapter. Not when I 'scan for hardware changes' or when I 'show hidden devices'. It's no longer available. My wifi adapter is... Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter...
  7. USB tethering disables WI-fi adapter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB tethering disables WI-fi adapter: Standard hook up is wirelessly connect to an Epson vs230 Projector and then use usb tethering with an Android Phone for internet access. My wife is a teacher and has been using this setup for the last year and a half in her classroom. Coincidence or not, I did just install...
  8. Wi-Fi 802.11ac USB Adapter Recommendations

Wi-Fi 802.11ac USB Adapter Recommendations: Howdy Folks, *Smile I'm looking for Wi-Fi 802.11ac USB Adapter Recommendations for my Desktop PC. I have an internal 802.11n wireless network card (2006 era) that isn't giving me anything near the ethernet cable speed of 450 Mbps from the Xfinity router 2 rooms away. - After...
  9. No Wi-Fi Adapter

No Wi-Fi Adapter: There is no Wi-Fi option/icon, nor Airplane mode. No Wi-Fi Adapter in Device Manager. My Windows is up to date, and so is all my Drivers. I've run the Network Troubleshooter multiple times. I've tried setting up a new network. I've reset the Network Adapters, reset my router,...
  10. Usb Wi-Fi adapter not working

Usb Wi-Fi adapter not working: I've recently bought a nano usb wi-fi adapter and on it's packaging it says it's only compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7. Indeed its drivers don't work on Windows 10 9879, the device is recognized but it doesn't work. Is there a way around this? Any help will be greatly...