Windows 10: USB wi-fi dongle for desktop PC

Discus and support USB wi-fi dongle for desktop PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I live in the UK and recently decided to upgrade my home system. I previously used a Dell PC in my conservatory and an identical one in the main house,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sean5302, Oct 17, 2018.

1. sean5302 Win User

USB wi-fi dongle for desktop PC

I live in the UK and recently decided to upgrade my home system.
    I previously used a Dell PC in my conservatory and an identical one in the main house, upstairs in an office (small bedroom).
    The office has a phone socket that runs outside the house and is joined to the BT cable via a star connection.

The upgrade to BT fibre broadband now gives 37Mbps in the conservatory, but the guy from BT Openreach disconnected my office feed as he said it's no longer allowed to star wire.

How can I get a signal to my office PC, as it's too cold to use the conservatory in the winter?
    I thought about using a wi-fi dongle and want to get something decent, compatible with Win 10, please.
    I could run about 40 metres of cable from the router, but it's messy and hard to hide. Much better if wi-fi is any good.

:)

sean5302, Oct 17, 2018
  2. RogHil43 Win User

Desktop and Laptop Doesn't Detect Dongle Plugged into TV

I recently purchased a Wi-Fi Miracast dongle from Amazon, but neither PC detects it.
    On the PC end, I have a Wi Fi cable which plugs into a USB port,. I do not have Wi Fi on the desktop but do on the
    laptop but still,nothing works.

I have heard that the HDMI dongle and the Wi Fi cable yo USB, doesn't require PC Wi -Fi, is this correct?

One other point, Miracast did not come with Windows 10, even though I have done a couple of clean installations.

RogHil43, Oct 17, 2018
  3. vgkfan83 Win User

I think he means a Wi-Fi Antenna Cable.

vgkfan83, Oct 17, 2018
  4. RogHil43 Win User

There were two components in the package, HDMI dongle , and a Wi Fi cable which plugs into a USB port of the PC..
    There is no built in Wi Fi in my desktop, but there is in my laptop. I have no idea of the frequency the dongle works on, due tack of information that came with it.

RogHil43, Oct 17, 2018
Thema:

1. USB wi-fi dongle for desktop PC - Similar Threads - USB dongle desktop

2. wi-fi wi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wi-fi wi: I just want to use the wi-fi on my second computer without a cable. my computer uses windows 10 and it keep saying fix the cable! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-wi/fabd5a5d-b3b2-4ae1-8f34-3c5b98d4e10f
  3. wi-fi wi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wi-fi wi: I just want to use the wi-fi on my second computer without a cable. my computer uses windows 10 and it keep saying fix the cable! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-wi/fabd5a5d-b3b2-4ae1-8f34-3c5b98d4e10f
  4. wi-fi wi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. using wi fi dongle on windows 10

using wi fi dongle on windows 10: dear sirs, I have a dongle and sim card using 3 network. The dongle E353U worked fine on windows Vista. Now I've upgraded to Windows 10 the dongle is not working. Is there a solution to this problem. yours, M.A.Magrs....
  6. Modem/Wi-Fi/PC

Modem/Wi-Fi/PC: Can you, using a RJ45 male to 3 way female splitter (at the Modem), combine hard wiring (Ethernet Cat-5) to a Wi-Fi router, and to two PC's? IOW, can I use both Wi-Fi and Ethernet cabling on a PC at the same time? I'm trying to maximize my download speeds for gaming. Thanks...
  7. No Internet using tethering and Wi-Fi dongle

No Internet using tethering and Wi-Fi dongle: Howzit we lost the Internet connection on our Windows 10 v1909 computers this morning. So I bust out my handy dandy USB Wi-Fi dongles in order to connect to my phone’s tethering. Previously once I had joined the tethering's Wi-Fi signal, I got Internet service straight...
  8. Desktop Shortcut for Wi-Fi Properties

Desktop Shortcut for Wi-Fi Properties: Windows 10 Pro 1903, OS Build: 18362.449 (shortly: .476) - Howdy Folks, I'm looking for the procedure to create a desktop shortcut for "Wi-Fi Properties" (attached). Thanks in advance to all who read this post and all who reply! *Cool 144580
  9. USB wi-fi dongle for desktop PC

USB wi-fi dongle for desktop PC: I live in the UK and recently decided to upgrade my home system. I previously used a Dell PC in my conservatory and an identical one in the main house, upstairs in an office (small bedroom). The office has a phone socket that runs outside the house and is joined to the BT...
  10. Usb Wi-Fi adapter not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb Wi-Fi adapter not working: I've recently bought a nano usb wi-fi adapter and on it's packaging it says it's only compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7. Indeed its drivers don't work on Windows 10 9879, the device is recognized but it doesn't work. Is there a way around this? Any help will be greatly...