Windows 10: USB3 disk keeps restarting after being put to sleep

Discus and support USB3 disk keeps restarting after being put to sleep in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a WD USB desktop drive that is connected via a controller card to my desktop computer. I have windows 10 set to put all disks to sleep after 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Snodon, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Snodon Win User

USB3 disk keeps restarting after being put to sleep

I have a WD USB desktop drive that is connected via a controller card to my desktop computer.
    I have windows 10 set to put all disks to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity.
    This works ok, but the USB disk keeps waking up of its own accord, when it is not being accessed.

I have "USB safely remove" utility installed, which will shut the disk down completely ok and then it does not wake up on its own. Is there a way to stop windows powering the disk up unless it is being accessed please.

Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.15063 build 15063 + a lot of work to make it look like Win 7 and not going to change *Smile

Thanks

:)

Snodon, Dec 21, 2018

2. Recognize disk 4 GIGAS with USB3 on USB2

Hi Manuel,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community.

I understand your concerned. Let me help you to fix the issue.

To understand the issue better, please provide us more information.

• When you say ‘’ It do not show the disk, like the others. The letter is g:’’ what exactly do you refer to?
    • Are you trying to format the USB external drive?
    Meanwhile, I suggest you to go to the device manger and check if the device is detecting.Ttry the below steps and check if this helps.

• Press Windows key + R and type
      devmgmt.msc
      and hit the Enter.

• Go into Device Manager and expand Universal Serial Bus controller.

• And right click on the device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node related to USB external device and remove them at a time.

• Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.
    Hope it helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Dec 21, 2018
  3. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue USB3 disk keeps restarting after being put to sleep :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Dec 21, 2018
  4. USB3 disk keeps restarting after being put to sleep

Display will not sleep.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience caused to you and will help you solve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Click on Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left navigation pane, click on Power & sleep.
    • In the right pane, select the time limit for the system to go to sleep from the drop down list.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 21, 2018
Thema:

USB3 disk keeps restarting after being put to sleep

1. USB3 disk keeps restarting after being put to sleep - Similar Threads - USB3 disk keeps

2. Laptop restarts instead of sleep after being idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop restarts instead of sleep after being idle: I recently reinstalled windows 10 on my Acer One 14 Z1-471 laptop. After a week or so it stopped going to sleep after being idle, instead it restarts every time. I'm sceptic of a thing that I updated drivers from a 3rd party app but I don't know if it's the cause or not. It...
  3. Laptop restarts instead of sleep after being idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop restarts instead of sleep after being idle: I recently reinstalled windows 10 on my Acer One 14 Z1-471 laptop. After a week or so it stopped going to sleep after being idle, instead it restarts every time. I'm sceptic of a thing that I updated drivers from a 3rd party app but I don't know if it's the cause or not. It...
  4. Laptop restarts instead of sleep after being idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  5. Putting PC to sleep causes restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Putting PC to sleep causes restart: Hi all, I've been running into an issue where choosing "Sleep" on my PC causes it to crash and restart. The three logs I keep getting in Event Viewer are:Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC00000D4.The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down...
  6. Putting PC to sleep causes restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Putting PC to sleep causes restart: Hi all, I've been running into an issue where choosing "Sleep" on my PC causes it to crash and restart. The three logs I keep getting in Event Viewer are:Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC00000D4.The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down...
  7. Putting PC to sleep causes restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Computer crashing after being put in sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer crashing after being put in sleep mode: I put my computer in sleep mode quite often and have never had a problem. But for the past couple of days, my computer crashes blue screen with a windows stop code when I put it to sleep. It doesn't happen the first time I put it to sleep -- only the second time?!? I've...
  9. Computer restarts after being put to sleep.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer restarts after being put to sleep.: Hi all, I'm having a bit of an issue with my laptop running Windows 10. Whenever I put the computer to sleep (either via the start menu, low battery or by pressing the 'power' button which I've set to put the computer to sleep), often when I go to wake the computer it will...
  10. Windows not waking up after being put to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows not waking up after being put to sleep: Hi all, Wondered if you could help. I have a few laptops after the in place upgrade to 1909. When they are not used for a period they go to sleep. But they don’t wake up. You have to hold Down the power button to force them to turn off. Bios update and other driver updates...