Windows 10: USB3 Port - Some undetected drives

Discus and support USB3 Port - Some undetected drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have read multiple help from all over the place. Seems there is no fix for undetected drives. I have an ASUS laptop. I have 2 identical 16G USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GarryCross, Jun 1, 2019.

1. USB3 Port - Some undetected drives

I have read multiple help from all over the place.

Seems there is no fix for undetected drives.

I have an ASUS laptop. I have 2 identical 16G USB drives one is detected, 1 not. I have 2 different 500GB external HDD's. One detected, one not. All 4 are detected OK in 2 other PC's with USB3 ports.

If I plug these devices into the other non usb3 port, they work. Same cable for both external drives, so not cable. Works in another pc anyway.

I have tried various help.

Uninstall in Drives in Device manager. They dont show up there to uninstall.

Format in Disk Management. They dont show up there.

Uninstall and reinstall all USB stuff in Device manager.

Restart computer.

Update drivers. All in various order over a few years.

All drivers are updated. I can never get any driver updates. Always says up to date.

Some websites say click on Other in Device manager and click on USB and update driver, I DONOT have Other.

Change USB Hub Properties > allow turn off to save power.

This has been an issue with various devices in this laptop for at least a couple of years.

:)

GarryCross, Jun 1, 2019

2. Wireless Mouse stops working when external HDD plugged in to USB3 port

I have a minor but annoying problem and can't find a solution....

My wireless mouse stops working when an external USB3 HDD is plugged in to USB3 port. The mouse is about 3 feet away from the receiver.

My mouse is a Logitech M310.

• I don't have the problem if a USB 2 external HDD is connected to either a USB2 or USB3 port.
    • I have moved the mouse receiver to different ports on both the front and back of the computer but this doesn't change anything.
    • If I move the mouse very close to the receiver (a couple of inches), it works so it seems that the wireless range is reduced when the USB3 HDD is plugged in.
    • If I connect a wired mouse, it works fine.
    • I have 2 USB3 ports and the problem is the same on both.
    • If the USB3 HDD is connected to a USB2 port, the mouse works normally.
    • I changed the battery in the mouse but this didn't help.
    • the USB3 HDD is a WD Passport that is self powered through the USB port.

Any suggestions?

dsscottage, Jun 1, 2019
  3. USB3 Ports not working correctly after Win 10 Anniversary Ed Update

Hi,

I have a problem with my USB3 ports. Prior to upgrading to the Anniversary edition of Windows 10, both my USB2 and USB3 ports worked fine. If I plugged in my external USB3 drive into a USB2 port, the white light on the drive illuminated and the drive operated using USB2. If I plugged the same drive into a USB3 port, then the blue light on the drive illuminated and the drive operated at the higher speed of USB3.

Having updated my system to the Anniversary edition of Windows 10, I can only make the external drive operate on USB3 if it is plugged into a USB3 port when I power the PC up, or reboot. If I power up the PC with the drive disconnected and then plug it into a USB3 port at a later time, then it only operates as a USB2 device.

Can anyone suggest why the USB3 drivers only seem to load when the PC powers up with a USB 3 device connected??

Regards,
    Mike

Mike Craft, Jun 1, 2019
  4. USB3 Port - Some undetected drives

Windows 10 continually mounting and unmounting USB3 connected external Hard Drive and USB3 Memory stick.

Hi Delboy,

We would like to know if this problem only happens with your USB3 hard drives and USB3 port?

Let us help you isolate this issue. Since you mentioned above that the problem occurs after the last update, we suggest that you perform these steps and see if it helps:

Uninstall Windows update.

We don’t usually recommend that you remove any installed updates. However, if you must remove an update, you can do so from the update history.
    Here's how:

• Select Start button and select Settings.
    • Click on Update & Security.
    • Click on Windows Update.
    • Select Advanced options and click on
      View your update history
    • Click on Uninstall updates.

We will be waiting for your response.

Acelyn Alc, Jun 1, 2019
Thema:

USB3 Port - Some undetected drives

1. USB3 Port - Some undetected drives - Similar Threads - USB3 Port undetected

2. Should I be able to mount usb2 hard drive in usb3 port?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should I be able to mount usb2 hard drive in usb3 port?: Tried to mount a usb2 hard drive in a usb3 port just now with no joy. Not positive, but I think I've done this before. Running version 20H2 and there was a recent update. My laptop also has a usb2 port but it's in an inconvenient location. Should usb2 drive in usb3 port be...
  3. Should I be able to mount usb2 hard drive in usb3 port?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I be able to mount usb2 hard drive in usb3 port?: Tried to mount a usb2 hard drive in a usb3 port just now with no joy. Not positive, but I think I've done this before. Running version 20H2 and there was a recent update. My laptop also has a usb2 port but it's in an inconvenient location. Should usb2 drive in usb3 port be...
  4. 7 port usb3 hub surface book 3

7 port usb3 hub surface book 3: Hi I purchased an Anker usb3 powered hub with 7 ports+3IQ but SB3 displays an error message stating it can only handle 5 ports... The hub has exactly 5 usb devices connected to it leaving 2 empty and only 3 are relayed and working while the other 2 devices won't connect....
  5. undetectable files on backup drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    undetectable files on backup drive: My Win10 system crashed a couple days ago, and I tried to back up the data before reinstalling in case anything gets wiped. I was stuck at the recovery console, or whatever that emergency command prompt that you can use when safe mode fails to load is called in Win10 that...
  6. USB3 cables - some are great, some suck, why?

USB3 cables - some are great, some suck, why?: Dell laptop with USB-C ports. As far as I know, the 3.1 drivers are on and the box is happy. Device is a simple external, usb-powered carrier with a 256GB SSD in it. ALSO a USB3 type-C port. Plug in cable A (1-meter, C to C) and start copying data (standard drag and drop in...
  7. my hard drive is undetectable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    my hard drive is undetectable: hello, this's the second time i face this problem is the same week, first it happened with my laptop Asus i was in a cafe on wifi everything seems to work fine, then my laptop shows a blue screen with a ":" and it goes off, when i turn it on it boots to BIOS and when i try...
  8. USB3 ports on Logilink PCI ExpressCard are not work

USB3 ports on Logilink PCI ExpressCard are not work: Okay, I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro 64Bit to windows 10 Pro 64bit. Everything ran smooth and fine. But my USB3 ports mounted on a Logilink product (Art. PC0058) PCI ExpressCard 2xUSB3 work only as power supply. The error indicated by device manager point to USB Root hub...
  9. BIOS not detecting USB3 pen drives in USB3 Hub

BIOS not detecting USB3 pen drives in USB3 Hub: When I open the BIOS the pen drives plugged into the USB3 hub are not listed in the "Boot priority settings", however, if a pen drive is plugged directly into the PC USB3 or USB2 port it appears in the "Boot priority settings". Once booted into Windows 10 all USB2 and USB3...
  10. Some USB port does not recognise drive

Some USB port does not recognise drive: I have a WD Passport 1TB drive, on two my pc's USB 3 ports, it just won't get recognised. Once the cable is plugged in, the power light on the drive lights ON , not blinking, and nothing else happens. Any idea to fix or diagnose this. The USB ports otherwise seems to work...