Windows 10: USBs encrypted with BitLocker To Go causes Windows 10 machines to hang

Discus and support USBs encrypted with BitLocker To Go causes Windows 10 machines to hang in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi Months ago we configured BitLocker To Go (BTG) group policies which worked flawlessly for 1000+ users until around 13-Dec when Windows Defender was... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by mrsh, Jan 16, 2019.

1. mrsh Win User

USBs encrypted with BitLocker To Go causes Windows 10 machines to hang

Hi

Months ago we configured BitLocker To Go (BTG) group policies which worked flawlessly for 1000+ users until around 13-Dec when Windows Defender was updated from version 4.14.17639.18041-0 to 4.18.1812.3-0. Since then when a BTG USB drive is inserted it causes Windows 10 v1803 (OS Build 17134.523) machines to hang for 10 minutes before finally prompting the user for the BTG password which then allows access to the drive contents. This issue does not affect Windows 7 machines.

we've tested temporarily disabling Windows Defender fixes the issue but this is far for ideal and only for troubleshooting purposes obviously:-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\DisableAntiSpyware set it to 1 to disable Windows Defender

Also rolling back this update to the Inbox CAMP version by running the following command fixes it too but also far from ideal:
    "%programfiles%\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -resetplatform
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe (v4.13.17134.320)

Is there a proper fix for this issue please?

Best regards
    Scott

:)

2. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Jan 16, 2019
  3. Bitlocker encrypted external/USB drive on Windows 10 Home

Before I do something I would regret, I'd like to know whether USB drives, encrypted with Bitlocker on a Windows 7 Ultimate machine, can be accessed on a Windows 10 Home computer or tablet? I understand the Home edition has certain limitations when it comes
    to encryption.

Anubis2000, Jan 16, 2019
  4. USBs encrypted with BitLocker To Go causes Windows 10 machines to hang

Device Encryption not avaiable

Hello Fraczek,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Are you referring to BitLocker Drive Encryption?
    • What preventing you from doing this?
    • Did you get any error message or code while doing this?

Before you come up with the above information, suggest you to refer the article

Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption
    and see if it help you.

Do refer the article
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide
    and check if it help you with the required information.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jan 16, 2019
Thema:

USBs encrypted with BitLocker To Go causes Windows 10 machines to hang

1. USBs encrypted with BitLocker To Go causes Windows 10 machines to hang - Similar Threads - USBs encrypted BitLocker

2. Bitlocker encrypted USB install disk.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encrypted USB install disk.: Is it possible to encrypt a USB stick with Bitlocker and use it for windows installation?I tried it, but my system cannot detect the boot volume.When it's possible, what are the requirements for that?Thanks in advanceGeorg...
  3. Bitlocker encrypted USB install disk.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker encrypted USB install disk.: Is it possible to encrypt a USB stick with Bitlocker and use it for windows installation?I tried it, but my system cannot detect the boot volume.When it's possible, what are the requirements for that?Thanks in advanceGeorg...
  4. Bitlocker encrypted USB install disk.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. BitLocker encryption on USB flash drives?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker encryption on USB flash drives?: I just got myself a 64gb USB flash stick drive and would like to encrypt it with BitLocker encrypting the ENTIRE drive which is the way I prefer it to be. Is it safe to just encrypt the USB stick BEFORE adding data to it? Or, will it also be fine to add the data first and...
  6. Bitlocker encrypting Recovery Drive on wrong machine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker encrypting Recovery Drive on wrong machine: I moved a non-windows hard drive from the Bitlocker device to a different device with Windows but no Bitlocker. I chose the 'encrypt everything' option in BL when I was messing around with it. submitted by /u/gjdhzcnq [link] [comments]...
  7. USBs encrypted with BitLocker To Go causes Windows 10 machines to hang following Windows...

USBs encrypted with BitLocker To Go causes Windows 10 machines to hang following Windows...: Hi Months ago we configured BitLocker To Go (BTG) group policies which worked flawlessly until around 13-Dec when Windows Defender was updated from version 4.14.17639.18041-0 to 4.18.1812.3-0. Since then when a BTG USB drive is inserted it causes Windows 10 v1803 (OS Build...
  8. Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go

Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go: Hey All, Recently my company provided me with a Windows 10 SOE image as part of a UAT. The image includes Symantec Endpoint Encryption which utilizes Bitlocker for encryption. I went through all of the motions with the C:\ drive to be encrypted and even printed the...
  9. Bitlocker: Encrypted USB no access

Bitlocker: Encrypted USB no access: Hello, I have a usb that has been encrypted using bitlocker, I can connect this usb to my desktop and I can input the password and access the usb. However on my laptop and other computers, when I plug in the usb I do not get the prompt to input my password and instead just...
  10. Reading a BitLocker Encrypted USB in Windows 10 Home

Reading a BitLocker Encrypted USB in Windows 10 Home: I recently under went the free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and now find I can't read a BitLocker encrypted USB. Windows file explorer does not recognise the drive and there is no where I can enter the password. Can anybody help. Many thanks 20892