Windows 10: USBs for storage do not show in File Manager

Discus and support USBs for storage do not show in File Manager in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; USB ports for storage devices seem to be disabled. WIN 10 Home OS and recently installed an internal Samsung EVO 860. USB ports for monitor, mouse,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Khaos2, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Khaos2 Win User

USBs for storage do not show in File Manager

USB ports for storage devices seem to be disabled. WIN 10 Home OS and recently installed an internal Samsung EVO 860. USB ports for monitor, mouse, and keyboard are all working, but my storage devices don't show up despite updated drivers and regedit confirmed to have correct values. Help please!

:)

Khaos2, Oct 17, 2020
  2. Zuzas Win User

Windows 10 showing USB storage device that does not exist

Again, thank you very much for your reply and trying to help me.

I did exactly as you suggested. Entered registry editor and deleted those 2 entries you listed. After that, i restarted my PC.

Everything is the same, the drive is still showing. It appears on the device manager list as "Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device".

Any kind of information you need me to provide, just ask.

Zuzas, Oct 17, 2020
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    All USB storage devices have code 39 error

Hi Ilya,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• Do you get same error codes in the Device manager too?
    • Does this issue occurs in other hardware components like keyboard and mouse?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Do you get same error when you connect your extenal hard drive to a different computer running Windows 10?

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to check in Device Manager and check if you get the same error code. If yes follow link and perform the troubleshooting steps suggested under
    Code 39

Error codes in Device Manager in Windows.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/310123#bookmark-39

Do let us know if the same code 39 shows under all USB storage devices. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Oct 17, 2020
  4. Gino Des Win User

My USB Backup drive does not show in My Computer window.

Hi Meran,

A few possible reason can cause your external drive to not show in File Explorer. To diagnose and fix this issue, we suggest that you check the Disk Management window. To open it, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the Start button.
    • Select Disk Management.
    • Alternatively, you can search diskmgmt.msc in Cortana.

Examine the list of drives in the Disk Management window and look for your external drive. Even if it doesn’t show up in File Explorer, it should appear here. If the drive appears, it may not be appearing in File Explorer because it needs to be assigned
    a drive letter. To do this, right-click the partition on the drive in Disk Management and select
    Change Drive Letter and Paths.

If you don’t see the drive in the Disk Management window at all, we suggest that you try connecting the drive to a different USB port or use a different USB cable. We also recommend that you avoid using USB hubs, and connect the drive directly to your computer.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

Gino Des, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

1. USBs for storage do not show in File Manager - Similar Threads - USBs storage show

2. USB Attached SCSI UAS Mass Storage Device is showing no media in Disk managment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Attached SCSI UAS Mass Storage Device is showing no media in Disk managment: I have attached a new NVME M2 SSD in external casing and connected it to computer it is showing it in Device manager and Disk management . but in disk management it shows No media , as a result i am not able access drive .i am using windows 10 and it's updated....
  3. USB Attached SCSI UAS Mass Storage Device is showing no media in Disk managment

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Attached SCSI UAS Mass Storage Device is showing no media in Disk managment: I have attached a new NVME M2 SSD in external casing and connected it to computer it is showing it in Device manager and Disk management . but in disk management it shows No media , as a result i am not able access drive .i am using windows 10 and it's updated....
  4. USB Attached SCSI UAS Mass Storage Device is showing no media in Disk managment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. usb drive not showing in device manager or disc management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb drive not showing in device manager or disc management: when i plug in my flash drive it doesn't show in the finder. when i attempt to resolve the issue which requires me to find the drive with device manager/ disc management the drive isn't shown in either. the port is working because i can see other flash drives i plug into it....
  6. usb drive not showing in device manager or disc management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    usb drive not showing in device manager or disc management: when i plug in my flash drive it doesn't show in the finder. when i attempt to resolve the issue which requires me to find the drive with device manager/ disc management the drive isn't shown in either. the port is working because i can see other flash drives i plug into it....
  7. Storage Spaces and Disk Management do not show Storage Space drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces and Disk Management do not show Storage Space drives: I was using the non-SSD drives shown as a Storage Space. I can see them in Device Manager and if I use the Get-PhysicalDisk command, but I can't see them in Storage Spaces and Disk Management. It appears that two of the drives have failed, the ST3000DM001-1CH166 ATA Device...
  8. USB storage not showing up in file explorer (and is suddenly without letter)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB storage not showing up in file explorer (and is suddenly without letter): Hey After a lot of searching on google and a lot of troubleshooting i still cant figure out my USB problems. It is regarding a Datatraveler 3.0 USB stick, it shows up in device manager. It shows up in in disk management too, but without name and letter. If i try to give it a...
  9. Kindle paperwhite fails to show as USB storage

Kindle paperwhite fails to show as USB storage: My Kindle 32GB e-reader does not appear as a drive in Win 10 when plugged in via USB, so I cannot transfer files to it from my local library. Likewise it does not appear in Calibre. However Ican see it using the Win 10 disk management app, where it appears as a drive with...
  10. File Explorer, Storage, USB Connection

File Explorer, Storage, USB Connection: Hello. Since a few days i've been transfering songs from my PC to my Android phone via USB. At the beginning everything was fine, but, when i tried to transfer a single file, it seemed to me that it wasn't copied. Since then...file explorer identifies only 394 songs out of...