Windows 10: Use a closed laptop as a computer?

Discus and support Use a closed laptop as a computer? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have an external keyboard and screen, but I want to use my laptop as my "computer". Is it possible to set the laptop so that you can close it but it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MaxLis, Jun 6, 2020.

1. MaxLis Win User

Use a closed laptop as a computer?

I have an external keyboard and screen, but I want to use my laptop as my "computer". Is it possible to set the laptop so that you can close it but it will still run and not go into standby or lock up?

Many thanks in advance.

:)

MaxLis, Jun 6, 2020
  2. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, Jun 6, 2020
  3. Suman_B Win User
    Monitor settings when close laptop lid

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, we would need some information.

1. What is the version and
      build of you operating system? In the Search box, type
      winver to get this info.
    2. May I know the Make and the model of the computer and external monitor?
    3. Are you aware of any changes made on your computer before this issue occurred?

We also suggest following the steps below and check if it makes any difference.

Since you are facing issue with the Secondary monitor, I would suggest you to
    Troubleshoot external monitor connections in Windows 10
    and check if it fixes the issue.

Additionally refer this article on Second
    screen or Projector mode does not persist after you close and reopen a laptop lid

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Suman_B, Jun 6, 2020
  4. Use a closed laptop as a computer?

Win 10 - computer won't lock or sleep when lid is closed

Hi Shari,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Please follow the methods mentioned below:

Method 1: Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.

• Select on Control Panel.

• Click on Power Options. On the left, click on "Choose what closing the lid does". Click on the drop down menu for "When I close the lid" and choose "Sleep" or "Hibernate.

Method 2: I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.

Method 3: If the above method doesn’t help, I would suggest you to
    reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back with their default settings. Follow the steps.

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Let us know if the issue is resolved or if you require further assistance.

ThofikhAhamad, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

Use a closed laptop as a computer?

1. Use a closed laptop as a computer? - Similar Threads - closed laptop computer

2. Computer crashes when laptop lid closes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashes when laptop lid closes: I like keeping my laptop closed while I listen to music or videos in the background. However, my computer randomly started immediately crashing when I close it and automatically restarts my entire system. I have looked through my power options, updated my display drivers,...
  3. Computer crashes when laptop lid closes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer crashes when laptop lid closes: I like keeping my laptop closed while I listen to music or videos in the background. However, my computer randomly started immediately crashing when I close it and automatically restarts my entire system. I have looked through my power options, updated my display drivers,...
  4. My laptop goes to sleep with using an external monitor with the laptop lid closed trying to...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My laptop goes to sleep with using an external monitor with the laptop lid closed trying to...: Hello, I'm trying to use my laptop on an external monitor with the lid closed but my laptop keeps trying to log out and sleep. This only happens when something is in Full-screen or is trying to use the Dedicated Nvidia GPU on the laptop instead of the integrated APU display...
  5. Apps closing when laptop lid is closed

Apps closing when laptop lid is closed: I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface and all my open apps force close when the laptop lid has been closed overnight. I've checked all previous solutions posted on this site and nothing works. Very Annoying, can someone help resolve asap? ? It really shouldn't be this...
  6. Closing the lid of my laptop results in computer shut down

Closing the lid of my laptop results in computer shut down: Hi to the forumThe last few days my laptop started to behave abnormally. Whenever I try to lower or even touch the angle of the lid when open it immediately starts shutting down! My power settings have been forever set so that closing the lid would put the laptop in sleep...
  7. New laptop issue with closing lid while using external display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New laptop issue with closing lid while using external display: Hi, I recently bought a new MSI gaming laptop to replace my old one but I'm stumped trying to fix an issue I'm experiencing when closing the laptop lid when connected to an external display. I'll try to be as descriptive as I can. Basically, when I connect my laptop to my TV...
  8. How to keep using an external monitor with laptop lid closed

in Windows 10 News
    How to keep using an external monitor with laptop lid closed: [ATTACH]If you want to keep using an external monitor with the laptop lid closed, then this article will be handy for you. There is no […] This article How to keep using an external monitor with laptop lid closed first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. program closing while using

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    program closing while using: A program closes when I open parts of it to use. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-closing-while-using/47173f37-ea99-4eef-ab1d-472c088766d4
  10. Laptop closes programes when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop closes programes when lid is closed: This past few days whenever i close the laptop lid with the laptop is still on whenever i later return to the laptop open the lid all programes that i had opened even the web browser are closed, anyone offer any help to fix this so that all programs that were opened remain...