Use chrome/google as default for search results

Discus and support Use chrome/google as default for search results in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; How can I -Use chrome/google for search results Currently when we type anything into the taskbar search, it launches Edge + Bing to give the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by madmax2, Jul 22, 2015.

1. madmax2 Win User

How can I
    -Use chrome/google for search results

Currently when we type anything into the taskbar search, it launches Edge + Bing to give the results.

I would like it to use google and my chrome browser cos I find it gives better results.

:)

madmax2, Jul 22, 2015
  2. IanJohn Win User

Microsoft Edge Google search problem

Personally solved problem of not being able to use google search in Edge by following steps.

1. Assumed the problem with using google in Edge is because windows 10 is still in beta.

2. Installed Google Chrome.

3. Set Google Chrome as the default browser in Windows 10.

4. Pinned Google Chrome to taskbar.

5. Removed Edge and IE from the taskbar

6. Google search now working well in Chrome.

IanJohn, Jul 22, 2015
  3. William Kochevar Win User
    Microsoft Cortana not using default browser when doing a Bing search

Also, I am not interested in using Google to search with Cortana. All I want is for Cortana to open Google Chrome to present the results of the Bing search using Google Chrome instead of Microsoft Edge. I prefer a Microsoft Bing search over a Google search.
    If there is a way to do this, I would really like to know. Thanks.

William Kochevar, Jul 22, 2015
  4. Slartybart Win User

Settings > Sytem > Default apps

Set Chrome as your default browser,

[​IMG]

then check Chrome settings Search to make sure it is set to Google.

[​IMG]

Slartybart, Jul 22, 2015
  5. madmax2 Win User
    I have done what you said and it is launching chrome but still showing bing search result.
    I have checked that google is the default search in chrome

==

madmax2, Jul 22, 2015
  6. swarfega Win User
    You can't change the search provider because as it states Cortana is powered by Bing.

But you can change the default browser.

Open the new settings app. Type in "default" in the search bar and click on "default app settings". Scroll down to Web browser and click on it. You can then chose which browser you want to have open.

If you have Hey Cortana enabled you could say something like "search for apple pie recipe using google" and that should worko. Not tried it myself (I'm too afraid).

swarfega, Jul 23, 2015
  7. Slartybart Win User
    If you mean Search in Windows - it's hard coded to Bing ... Cortana requires it.

Slartybart, Jul 23, 2015
  8. Slartybart Win User

That would be a neat trick - I await with baited breath ... I turned off Cortana and will not turn it back on because it requires an MS account sign-in.

Slartybart, Jul 23, 2015
  9. kenC Win User
    I changed to Duckduckgo. I'm on a tablet at the moment so can't describe exactly. First open the search engines home page, in your case Google. Then go to settings and default apps in W10 look for advanced and options to change search. You should now find Google listed. That's how I remember it anyway ☺

10. swarfega Win User
    They must've changed it as there is no advanced option.

swarfega, Jul 23, 2015
  11. kenC Win User
    I'll have a look tonight.

12. fracking4oil Win User
    Look all you like, but you won't find a way to change it from Bing to anything else. This is MS's way of getting more people to use Bing. At least in the U.S. Bing is just as good as Google, so no big deal for us, but it sucks for those markets that Bing sucks in.

fracking4oil, Jul 23, 2015
  13. bro67 Win User

Try Bing2google. You do need Chrome to run the extension.

bro67, Jul 23, 2015
  14. bro67 Win User
    The sad thing is that Yahoo now uses Bing for their searches.

bro67, Jul 23, 2015
  15. kenC Win User
    OK back on my laptap now.

Open Edge browser and bring up the home page of the search engine you want, eg Google.
    Now click the 3 dots in the top right corner of Edge and scroll down to 'Settings' - then Advanced Settings and scroll down to 'Search in the address bar with' Click on 'Add New' If you're lucky you should see Google listed. Make it the default.
    Works for me with Duckduckgo - good luck !

Warning: I've got Cortana switched off. If you use it these settings may not work since it uses Bing although it may just switch to Bing when you use it

Thema:

Use chrome/google as default for search results - Similar Threads - chrome google default

1. How to stop "Google Chrome is not your default browser" message

in Windows 10 Support
    How to stop "Google Chrome is not your default browser" message: Since upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I receive message "Google Chrome is not your default browser" every time I open Google Chrome. I select "Don't show this message again", but still get the message Same situation when I start Chrome in Incognito mode How can I...
  2. Google Chrome is not your default browser problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Google Chrome is not your default browser problem: I'm having a persistent problem with Google Chrome. Although Windows 10 says Chrome is the default browser, Google Chrome itself does not "believe" it, and I keep getting the "Google Chrome is not your default browser" notification when I bring up the browser. In settings it...
  3. Google Chrome keeps becoming Default Browser when computer restarts

in Windows 10 Support
    Google Chrome keeps becoming Default Browser when computer restarts: Every time I restart my computer, Google Chrome is defaulted, and not Firefox. I always set Firefox as the default. Is there a condition that changes this all the time? 99280
  4. Windows 10 not allowing to change default browser to google chrome

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 not allowing to change default browser to google chrome: I recently re-installed windows 10. Have tried every way to change default browser from Edge to Chrome, to no avail. Even changed the default by file type, HTML, Htm, to open with google chrome. Under Apps & Features, google is listed as my browser, but in Default apps-Web...
  5. Can one define a Google Chrome App as default app for a filetype?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can one define a Google Chrome App as default app for a filetype?: I would like to define a Google Chrome app (aka. Google Chrome extension) called "Readium" as default handler for .epub files (an ebook format), because I consider it better than Edge (which handles these files by default) for this purpose. Now, I was able to define Chrome...
  6. HTML5 by default: Google’s plan to make Chrome’s Flash click-to-play

in Windows 10 Support
    HTML5 by default: Google’s plan to make Chrome’s Flash click-to-play: HTML5 by default: Google’s plan to make Chrome’s Flash click-to-play Google will be taking another step towards an HTML5-only Web later this year, as the systematic deprecation and removal of Flash continues. In a plan outlined last week, Flash will be disabled by...
  7. Google Chrome Roll-out plan for HTML5 by Default

in Windows 10 Support
    Google Chrome Roll-out plan for HTML5 by Default: Four months ago we announced that we’d be moving to HTML5 By Default to offer a safer, more power-efficient experience. As a reminder, this change disables Adobe Flash Player unless there’s a user indication that they want Flash content on specific sites, and eventually all...
Use chrome/google as default for search results solved