Windows 10: Use chrome/google as default for search results

Discus and support Use chrome/google as default for search results in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How can I -Use chrome/google for search results Currently when we type anything into the taskbar search, it launches Edge + Bing to give the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by madmax2, Jul 22, 2015.

1. madmax2 Win User

Use chrome/google as default for search results

How can I
    -Use chrome/google for search results

Currently when we type anything into the taskbar search, it launches Edge + Bing to give the results.

I would like it to use google and my chrome browser cos I find it gives better results.

:)

madmax2, Jul 22, 2015
  2. IanJohn Win User

Microsoft Edge Google search problem

Personally solved problem of not being able to use google search in Edge by following steps.

1. Assumed the problem with using google in Edge is because windows 10 is still in beta.

2. Installed Google Chrome.

3. Set Google Chrome as the default browser in Windows 10.

4. Pinned Google Chrome to taskbar.

5. Removed Edge and IE from the taskbar

6. Google search now working well in Chrome.

IanJohn, Jul 22, 2015
  3. Microsoft Cortana not using default browser when doing a Bing search

Also, I am not interested in using Google to search with Cortana. All I want is for Cortana to open Google Chrome to present the results of the Bing search using Google Chrome instead of Microsoft Edge. I prefer a Microsoft Bing search over a Google search.
    If there is a way to do this, I would really like to know. Thanks.

William Kochevar, Jul 22, 2015
  4. Use chrome/google as default for search results

Settings > Sytem > Default apps

Set Chrome as your default browser,

Use chrome/google as default for search results [​IMG]

then check Chrome settings Search to make sure it is set to Google.

Use chrome/google as default for search results [​IMG]

Slartybart, Jul 22, 2015
  5. madmax2 Win User
    I have done what you said and it is launching chrome but still showing bing search result.
    I have checked that google is the default search in chrome

==

madmax2, Jul 22, 2015
  6. swarfega Win User
    You can't change the search provider because as it states Cortana is powered by Bing.

But you can change the default browser.

Open the new settings app. Type in "default" in the search bar and click on "default app settings". Scroll down to Web browser and click on it. You can then chose which browser you want to have open.

If you have Hey Cortana enabled you could say something like "search for apple pie recipe using google" and that should worko. Not tried it myself (I'm too afraid).

swarfega, Jul 22, 2015
  7. If you mean Search in Windows - it's hard coded to Bing ... Cortana requires it.

Slartybart, Jul 22, 2015
  8. Use chrome/google as default for search results

That would be a neat trick - I await with baited breath ... I turned off Cortana and will not turn it back on because it requires an MS account sign-in.

Slartybart, Jul 22, 2015
  9. kenC Win User
    I changed to Duckduckgo. I'm on a tablet at the moment so can't describe exactly. First open the search engines home page, in your case Google. Then go to settings and default apps in W10 look for advanced and options to change search. You should now find Google listed. That's how I remember it anyway ☺

10. swarfega Win User
    They must've changed it as there is no advanced option.

swarfega, Jul 22, 2015
  11. kenC Win User
    I'll have a look tonight.

12. Look all you like, but you won't find a way to change it from Bing to anything else. This is MS's way of getting more people to use Bing. At least in the U.S. Bing is just as good as Google, so no big deal for us, but it sucks for those markets that Bing sucks in.

fracking4oil, Jul 22, 2015
  13. bro67 Win User

Try Bing2google. You do need Chrome to run the extension.

bro67, Jul 22, 2015
  14. bro67 Win User
    The sad thing is that Yahoo now uses Bing for their searches.

bro67, Jul 22, 2015
  15. kenC Win User
    OK back on my laptap now.

Open Edge browser and bring up the home page of the search engine you want, eg Google.
    Now click the 3 dots in the top right corner of Edge and scroll down to 'Settings' - then Advanced Settings and scroll down to 'Search in the address bar with' Click on 'Add New' If you're lucky you should see Google listed. Make it the default.
    Works for me with Duckduckgo - good luck !

Warning: I've got Cortana switched off. If you use it these settings may not work since it uses Bing although it may just switch to Bing when you use it

Thema:

1. Use chrome/google as default for search results - Similar Threads - chrome google default

2. Google Default Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google Default Search: Soooo I screwed up and decided to try microsoft rewards. Not sure why, probably boredom. Now bing is my default search EVEN IN CHROME. How do I make it Google again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-default-search/f9b24ff7-941d-4113-abde-9c5e18c67f0f
  3. Google Default Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google Default Search: Soooo I screwed up and decided to try microsoft rewards. Not sure why, probably boredom. Now bing is my default search EVEN IN CHROME. How do I make it Google again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-default-search/f9b24ff7-941d-4113-abde-9c5e18c67f0f
  4. Google Default Search

in Cortana
  5. google chrome default program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    google chrome default program: Hello.I notice that when choose for example google chrome as the default browser when reopen settings is unmarked.Is that normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-chrome-default-program/770337ee-d87b-451c-86bf-87bb7c49a36d
  6. google chrome as default browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    google chrome as default browser: Hello!I'm having a strange repeting problem and I don't know what is causing it. I set google chrome as my default browser and yes when I open it, it's chrome that I see. The problem is when I open a new tab: it switches browser for no reasons. I ofter opens bing or yahoo...
  7. google chrome as default browser

google chrome as default browser: Hello!I'm having a strange repeting problem and I don't know what is causing it. I set google chrome as my default browser and yes when I open it, it's chrome that I see. The problem is when I open a new tab: it switches browser for no reasons. I ofter opens bing or yahoo...
  8. google chrome as default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    google chrome as default browser: I have been using Google Chrome as my default browser forever, however now the last few days every time I click on the icon to launch it, it won't open. I have tried everything! I have uninstalled and reinstalled it at least 6x and still nothing has worked.Is or has anyone...
  9. strange Google Chrome search results

strange Google Chrome search results: Hello folks, I recently upgraded my desktop from Win 7 to Win 10 (clean install) but I think that's irrelevant to the issue I'm having. My search results in Google Chrome using Google search look strange (see attachment). When I perform the search on the same machine in...
  10. Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows: How to: Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows How to Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows In Google Chrome, you can use the address bar (omnibox) as a search box. It automatically uses Google by default, but you can set another...