Windows 10: Use chrome/google as default for search results

Discus and support Use chrome/google as default for search results in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hmm mine still uses bing after doing your instructions. It works in the search page on Edge but not in the taskbar search. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by madmax2, Jul 22, 2015.

1. swarfega Win User

Use chrome/google as default for search results

hmm mine still uses bing after doing your instructions. It works in the search page on Edge but not in the taskbar search.

swarfega, Jul 23, 2015
  2. kenC Win User

I think it's only meant to change the default search engine for the internet (address bar)
    I'm sure someone will come up with something for the Taskbar search.

3. NUS
    Nus Win User
    I've always had Cortana and the taskbar search turned off, never used it, don't need or want to use it.

Turned it on to have a quick play with this.

I got half the way there by adding an entry to the hosts file. The search then goes to Google, only trouble is it appears Google doesn't like having bing.com as the domain name in the URL, it just returns the 404 page...

A bit of browser tweaking should fix that, i.e. that bing2google chrome plugin.

I use Firefox, so can't verify. There's a bing2duck add-on but I can't be bothered to mod it at the mo.

Definitely an easily fixable 'problem' though.

4. madmax2 Win User

Yes, this is the issue I want to fix.

No matter what engine you change it to in the browser.

The taskbar search will always use Bing.

This is crap because Bing results are just not as good google.

And therefore the taskbar search won't be as good.

Always I wonder if there could be any anti trust laws with this?

madmax2, Jul 23, 2015
  5. madmax2 Win User
    Bing results are crap compared to google.

I have tried it many times already.

Hope there is some antitrust issues that will force microsoft to let us change the search engine in taskbar search.

madmax2, Jul 23, 2015
  6. More likely they would disable web search...

Olivir2014, Jul 23, 2015
  7. The taskbar search will always be Bing, its part of Cortana its not a generic web search

Similar to 'OK Google' on Android this is tied to google search and cannot be changed

paulsalter, Jul 23, 2015
  8. Tony K Win User

MS had a Bing vs Google page going about 2 years ago where one could compare the results. The results were near identical.

Then there's Bing points where MS shares at least some of the wealth we make them. Google? Nada.

This....

Use chrome/google as default for search results [​IMG]

vs this.....

Use chrome/google as default for search results [​IMG]

Hmm....Seems to me Bing offers a whole lot more.

Tony K, Jul 23, 2015
  9. swarfega Win User
    So your saying Bing has a whole lot more because it has a nice photo on it? The two are fairly comparable in terms of what services they offer.

swarfega, Jul 23, 2015
  10. Web search is web search - it's a matter of preference on how the results are presented.

I found Bing and Google results nearly identical, but Google's presentation is more the way I think (or it's just habit and familiarity)

Search algorithms have improved greatly over the past 20 years, back then different search engines jockeyed for first place (best results, fastest, etc). As with so many things with computers, Search is just a commodity now.

As far as what apps MS includes in it's OS, PaulSalter said it best:
    I'm just glad that Windows Search is still there.

Slartybart, Jul 23, 2015
  11. STEVAE Win User
    i'm not trying to be offensive, but this is a little ridiculous. i really don't understand this thread. cortana is a m$ product, which has bing, another m$ product built into it. where is the confusion in this? google has many products as well, with other google products built into them. what you are saying is like going to burger king to order a whopper, and then telling them that you prefer mcdonald's fries, or just expecting to get them. seems to me that this should have been clear from the start.

STEVAE, Jul 23, 2015
  12. George Win User
    *Ditto

George, Jul 23, 2015
  13. Use chrome/google as default for search results

Perhaps a different analogy would be purchasing a Ford automobile with a Ford radio in it and only getting one station - radio Ford. Or not being able to choose the brand of tires.

It is what it is and probably won't change anytime soon, if ever.

Slartybart, Jul 23, 2015
  14. madmax2 Win User
    I think these analogy are not correct because with cars
    you can change the radio to your own brand or the tires to your preferred brand since these are standard parts.

If someone can find a hack later on, hopefully this thread would get updated.

My understanding with cortana is it has to do with the voice assistant.
    It should not have anything to do with doing a web search.

Taskbar websearch, you should be allowed to change to your own search provider.

What they are doing now is similiar to what they did with the anti trust issue that they got sued on.

United States v. Microsoft Corp. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Even though they are not a monopoly on search, they are using their OS to try to regain some market share in search
    by forcing us to use only their Bing engine in the taskbar search

madmax2, Jul 24, 2015
  15. Tony K Win User
    I just spent 15 minutes in Edge note mode answering this and lost the page. Not doing it again. I suggest you study my Bing page above again and open one to fiddle with it. Lots more than just a blank white page.

Tony K, Jul 24, 2015
Thema:

1. Use chrome/google as default for search results - Similar Threads - chrome google default

2. Google Default Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google Default Search: Soooo I screwed up and decided to try microsoft rewards. Not sure why, probably boredom. Now bing is my default search EVEN IN CHROME. How do I make it Google again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-default-search/f9b24ff7-941d-4113-abde-9c5e18c67f0f
  3. Google Default Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google Default Search: Soooo I screwed up and decided to try microsoft rewards. Not sure why, probably boredom. Now bing is my default search EVEN IN CHROME. How do I make it Google again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-default-search/f9b24ff7-941d-4113-abde-9c5e18c67f0f
  4. Google Default Search

in Cortana
  5. google chrome default program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    google chrome default program: Hello.I notice that when choose for example google chrome as the default browser when reopen settings is unmarked.Is that normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-chrome-default-program/770337ee-d87b-451c-86bf-87bb7c49a36d
  6. google chrome as default browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    google chrome as default browser: Hello!I'm having a strange repeting problem and I don't know what is causing it. I set google chrome as my default browser and yes when I open it, it's chrome that I see. The problem is when I open a new tab: it switches browser for no reasons. I ofter opens bing or yahoo...
  7. google chrome as default browser

google chrome as default browser: Hello!I'm having a strange repeting problem and I don't know what is causing it. I set google chrome as my default browser and yes when I open it, it's chrome that I see. The problem is when I open a new tab: it switches browser for no reasons. I ofter opens bing or yahoo...
  8. google chrome as default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    google chrome as default browser: I have been using Google Chrome as my default browser forever, however now the last few days every time I click on the icon to launch it, it won't open. I have tried everything! I have uninstalled and reinstalled it at least 6x and still nothing has worked.Is or has anyone...
  9. strange Google Chrome search results

strange Google Chrome search results: Hello folks, I recently upgraded my desktop from Win 7 to Win 10 (clean install) but I think that's irrelevant to the issue I'm having. My search results in Google Chrome using Google search look strange (see attachment). When I perform the search on the same machine in...
  10. Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows: How to: Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows How to Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows In Google Chrome, you can use the address bar (omnibox) as a search box. It automatically uses Google by default, but you can set another...