Windows 10: Use DISM to repair external drive?

Discus and support Use DISM to repair external drive? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am trying to repair an external drive drive H: that won't boot from the PC it belongs to gives Windows errors on bootup, it is apparently running off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by RobertE7, Feb 22, 2022.

1. RobertE7 Win User

Use DISM to repair external drive?

I am trying to repair an external drive drive H: that won't boot from the PC it belongs to gives Windows errors on bootup, it is apparently running off of Windows 10 Pro version 1909. I have it docked to this PC which is running Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 drive C:. I found a 1909 ISO and extracted the "install.wim" file from it. When I go to run DISM I use: dism /image:h:\ /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:c:\install.wimWhen it runs it says: "Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.19041.844" why is it still trying to use 19041 when I have specified a soure tha

:)

RobertE7, Feb 22, 2022

2. "Repair" external drive

I was downloading a file attached to an email and Windows 10 told me it could not access my external drive. It suggested I "repair" the drive. How do I do that?

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Terrance Church

TerranceChurch, Feb 22, 2022
  3. Micah Bat Win User
    External drives and Windows 10 issue

Since you are having multiple issues with Windows 10, we suggest you to run a System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Image Servicing (DISM) to look into the system for possible corruption. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X
    • On the menu which should pop-up on the lower-left side of your screen, click
      Command Prompt (admin)
    • Type the following on Command Prompt (wait for the SFC scan to finish before running DISM):

sfc /scannow

dism /online /restorehealth /cleanup-image

Check the result of the scans, and if it states that it was able to fix some corrupted files, simply restart your computer to apply the fix and check if the issue persists.

Regarding your external hard disk, we suggest you to update your USB Hard Disk drivers. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Device Manager.
    • Find the disk drive for your external hard disk.
    • Right-click your disk drive.
    • Click Update Driver Software.
    • A new windows will prompt, click Search automatically for updated driver software.

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Feb 22, 2022
  4. RejZoR Win User

How to get damn DISM to work?

Thx guys, I'll compress this data into a blog post. For all the so called guides I've read, not a single one mentioned it has to be WIM file (some listed even ESD which clearly doesn't work) or that certain ISO images don't work with DISM.

After I've done DISM thingie, SFC also managed to repair stuff. Which is what I've needed here.

RejZoR, Feb 22, 2022
Thema:

1. Use DISM to repair external drive? - Similar Threads - DISM repair external

2. Unable to repair Windows using dism.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to repair Windows using dism.: In general, the thing is, I decided one day to check the integrity of Windows, first I ran "sfc /scannow", he wrote that everything is in order, but when I run "dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth", he writes "The component store is repairable.", I decided to fix it by...
  3. Unable to repair Windows using dism.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to repair Windows using dism.: In general, the thing is, I decided one day to check the integrity of Windows, first I ran "sfc /scannow", he wrote that everything is in order, but when I run "dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth", he writes "The component store is repairable.", I decided to fix it by...
  4. Use DISM to repair external drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use DISM to repair external drive?: I am trying to repair an external drive drive H: that won't boot from the PC it belongs to gives Windows errors on bootup, it is apparently running off of Windows 10 Pro version 1909. I have it docked to this PC which is running Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 drive C:. I found a...
  5. Use DISM to repair external drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Use DISM to repair external drive?: I am trying to repair an external drive drive H: that won't boot from the PC it belongs to gives Windows errors on bootup, it is apparently running off of Windows 10 Pro version 1909. I have it docked to this PC which is running Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 drive C:. I found a...
  6. Repairing external hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Repairing external hard drive: Hi all I store all of my photos and music on an external hard drive. Recently some photos didn't copy across properly - I deleted them but the hard drive is stuck cancelling the action and Windows is asking me to repair the drive with the message below: "We have found errors...
  7. Repair Using DISM in Windows PE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair Using DISM in Windows PE: I cannot boot my windows. Already tried automatic startup repair and resetting the PC which both failed. I have a flash drive containing windows 10. so how do I restore it? Restoring corrupt OS in windows 7 and xp was way more simpler than the newer OS. tsk!...
  8. How to run DISM on an external drive to repair Windows 10 image backup

in Windows 10 News
    How to run DISM on an external drive to repair Windows 10 image backup: [ATTACH]If your Windows image is unserviceable, the DISM (Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management) tool […] This article How to run DISM on an external drive to repair Windows 10 image backup first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. "Repair" external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Repair" external drive: I was downloading a file attached to an email and Windows 10 told me it could not access my external drive. It suggested I "repair" the drive. How do I do that? Any helpful suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Terrance Church...
  10. Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image: How to: Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image How to Repair Windows 10 Image using DISM If a Windows image becomes unserviceable, you can use the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool to update the files and correct the problem. For example, you would...