Windows 10: Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image

Discus and support Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Going for the Refresh now!! I hope the deletion of all system files and previous installations (full Disk Cleanup) won't affect the Refresh... That... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Joanne, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image

That would just do a reset instead of refresh, and basically be like a clean install.

Reset Windows 10

Brink, Jul 17, 2015
  2. Joanne Win User

Well, well, well......

I'm back after a failed Refresh. lol.
    It started to Refresh, I went in the other room, and after returning I saw a screen with a " *Sad " smiley mentioning an error and prompting me to search for the error "Inaccessible boot device"....

Then it reverted the changes and now I am back to where I started again. So, the conclusion is that after a full Disk Cleanup no Refresh can be performed?

Anyway.

Going to clean install 10162 again, right now. Then I will wait for the upgrade, whenever it comes.

Joanne, Jul 17, 2015
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Before doing that if you like, refresh should work if the Windows 7 drive was connected if the Windows 7 drive was your boot drive.

Brink, Jul 17, 2015
  4. Joanne Win User

Well, to be honest I would not like to risk my Windows 7 installation, my main OS I use for everything, for nothing in the world. The ONLY thing that nags me is that I would prefer to wipe this SSD's partitions/volumes via Win 7 Disk Management and NOT via the WIN 10 installer! But I am too bored to clear CMOS again and plug in Win 7 SSD and delete the volume and unplug, clear CMOS blah-blah-blah...................

So I will leave the drive as it is, even not in SATA position_0, but in SATA_1 as it is now, and I'll just plug in my usb with the ISO, and after 10' my other USB with the drivers, and I'm done.

Glad that I tried these procedures though. For sure I'll need them since 10 will be my main OS after a couple of days.

Thank you very much, Brink! *Smile

PS: Dunno if Win 7 drive was my boot drive. All I know is normally I boot in 7 and whenever I wished so, I was pressing F11 and selecting the other disk and booting to 10.

Joanne, Jul 17, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I can understand that. I hope it goes smoothly. *Smile

Brink, Jul 17, 2015
  6. Sunnova Win User
    If you have a pc that has a clean result from sfc /scannow and from Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, then I strongly recommend you backup your \windows\winsxs folder to another drive, usb stick, or dvd. For windows 7 - 10.

Three times for three different pc's (windows 7 Home, windows 8.1Pro and Windows 10 Home) I've had problems where Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth failed,
    even failed using the mounted drive image and doing both the following commands.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:Full Path to install.esd file:1 /limitaccess
    or
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1 /limitaccess.

Each time I had a backup of a clean winsxs folder on another drive for that pc, I was able to use Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:drive:\WinSxS /LimitAccess, and for all three machines, the problems were corrected.

One of the three machines was an upgraded windows 7 to windows 10, I backed up the winsxs after the 10 upgrade and updates were installed and the system booted. In just a day I needed the clean winsxs as the live one became messed up and none of the above commands would work except the one pointing to my backed up winsxs folder.

I now keep a copy of the winsxs folder for all my computers in different locations just in case.

All three pc's now run clean for sfc /scannow and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.

Sunnova, Jul 31, 2015
  7. desmog Win User
    Hello!
    I followed along and I got a problem at step 4. After I run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth the resultit indicates "The component store is repairable". Yet when I run DISM Restore Health, it can't repair and I get error 0x800f081f

desmog, Jul 31, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello desmog, and welcome to Ten Forums.

If you haven't already, you might see if using step 6 or 7 in OPTION ONE may be able to help.

Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  9. desmog Win User
    I'm done with step six I'm still getting an error occurred
    "Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Install.esd:1 /limitaccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10240.16384

Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log"

desmog, Jul 31, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you're not having any issues, then I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise, you may need to refresh or reset Windows 10. *Sad

Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  11. LittleJay Win User
    I keep getting Error: 0x800f081f no matter what I try. Even creating an ISO from the ESD folder and doing a clean install doesn't work. I suspect that the upgrade I downloaded was corrupted somehow. Since I am on a limited data plan, I will have to wait until next month to try again, so I restored a W7 image and it is still activated. As they say, "Better luck next time." *Biggrin

LittleJay, Jul 31, 2015
  12. desmog Win User
    I'm actually having issues with Wi-fi connection, it does not auto connect after restarts

desmog, Jul 31, 2015
  13. Cliff S New Member

Thanks for the tut Shawn! It didn't repair what I wanted, but for people using the USB created using the Windows 10 install tool the full code would be Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:E:\Sources\Install.esd Where Source:E was MY USB but the rest is the same. Just open notepad copy & paste the above, change the drive letter copy the new code and paste in CMD prompt. Save the notepad for future use naming it "DismUsbCleanup"

Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image [​IMG]

Cliff S, Jul 31, 2015
  14. I will totally join this chat. The original ISO comes with corrupted files so don't bother using it as source. You will never repair Windows component. I upgraded my 3 computers and all 3 found corrupted files when running sfc -scannow. The only way to repair it is to use

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

It worked on my 3 computers. after that I rebooted then ran sfc -scannow and no more integrity violation. I tried to upgrade my friend's laptop using the same method, and then I ran into that dawn error.

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

orbitalfenestra, Aug 1, 2015
  15. I'm super pissed. I know it is not probably a big deal, but my curiosity want me to find the culprit behind this shit. Why the dawn source cannot be found? XD That's stupid. And why the official ISO comes with corrupted files at the first place? XD I tried to reset windows update, refresh PC and still that stupid error. I suspected that it may have been Windows firewall if your wifi is labeled public. switch to private. still that stupid error. I challenge anyone here to find the cause and be able to reproduce the problem-solution!

orbitalfenestra, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image - Similar Threads - DISM Repair Image

2. Unable to repair Windows using dism.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to repair Windows using dism.: In general, the thing is, I decided one day to check the integrity of Windows, first I ran "sfc /scannow", he wrote that everything is in order, but when I run "dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth", he writes "The component store is repairable.", I decided to fix it by...
  3. Unable to repair Windows using dism.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to repair Windows using dism.: In general, the thing is, I decided one day to check the integrity of Windows, first I ran "sfc /scannow", he wrote that everything is in order, but when I run "dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth", he writes "The component store is repairable.", I decided to fix it by...
  4. Using DISM with a downloaded image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using DISM with a downloaded image: I'm trying to repair a windows 10 installation that is unstable even in safe mode.Within the recovery environment sfc reports errorsdism / online failsso I'm trying to use DISM with a downloaded image on a USB drive.wmic logicaldisk get name shows the USB drive as drive E:...
  5. Using DISM with a downloaded image

Using DISM with a downloaded image: I'm trying to repair a windows 10 installation that is unstable even in safe mode.Within the recovery environment sfc reports errorsdism / online failsso I'm trying to use DISM with a downloaded image on a USB drive.wmic logicaldisk get name shows the USB drive as drive E:...
  6. Using DISM with a downloaded image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Use DISM to repair external drive?

Use DISM to repair external drive?: I am trying to repair an external drive drive H: that won't boot from the PC it belongs to gives Windows errors on bootup, it is apparently running off of Windows 10 Pro version 1909. I have it docked to this PC which is running Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 drive C:. I found a...
  8. Repair Using DISM in Windows PE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair Using DISM in Windows PE: I cannot boot my windows. Already tried automatic startup repair and resetting the PC which both failed. I have a flash drive containing windows 10. so how do I restore it? Restoring corrupt OS in windows 7 and xp was way more simpler than the newer OS. tsk!...
  9. Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image - Fundamentals explanation Pls

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image - Fundamentals explanation Pls: Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image - Fundamentals explanation Pls I have been reading the tutorial for hours and hours and need certain basic explanation in lay man terms. Did lot of google search but its always a bit more technical. 1. DISM command and SFC command It...
  10. DISM Error 0x80f001f...Use Source Option to repair Image

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM Error 0x80f001f...Use Source Option to repair Image: Hi, I just completed a clean install of Windows 10 Pro...all was going fine, but I wanted to run both scf and DISM... If SFC was not able to repair some or all of the files there are a few options including a repair install from the OS dvd, and DISM (win 8 & UP) DISM...