Windows 10: Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image

Discus and support Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image How to Repair Windows 10 Image using DISM If a Windows image becomes unserviceable, you can use the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Joanne, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Joanne Win User

Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image

How to: Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image

How to Repair Windows 10 Image using DISM

If a Windows image becomes unserviceable, you can use the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool to update the files and correct the problem.

For example, you would use DISM to fix Windows component store corruption when a sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted or modified system files because the component store (source) is corrupted. SFC should be able to repair the files afterwards.

For more information, see:
    The DISM /Cleanup-Image tool saves it's log files in the file locations below. To be able to view these logs, you would need to copy them from the locations below to your desktop, then open them from your desktop.

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

This tutorial will show you how to do an Inbox Corruption Repair with the DISM /Cleanup-Image tool to fix component store corruption in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do an Inbox Corruption Repair with the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool.

Contents
    • Option One: To Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" Tool in Command Prompt
    • Option Two: To Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" Tool in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] To Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" Tool in Command Prompt
    1 Open an elevated command prompt.

2 Do step3, step 4, step 5 (recommended), step 6, or step 7 below for what DISM command you would like to use.

3. To Use DISM /CheckHealth Command
    You would use /CheckHealth to only check whether the image has been flagged as corrupted by a failed process and whether the corruption can be repaired. This is just a quick way to see if corruption currently exists, and to inform you if there is corruption. This does not fix anything or create a log. This will finish running almost instantly.

A) In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below, press Enter, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image [​IMG]

4. To Use DISM /ScanHealth Command
    You would use /ScanHealth to scan the image for component store corruption. This option does not fix any corruption. It only checks for component store corruption and records that corruption to the log file. This can take around 5-10 minutes to finish. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

A) In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below, press Enter, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

5. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth Command
    (recommended) You would use /RestoreHealth to scan the image for component store corruption, perform repair operations automatically, and records that corruption to the log file. This can take around 10-15 minutes up to a few hours to finish depending on the level of corruption. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

You will need to have an Internet connection to run this command.

If this command fails, then you can do step 6 or step 7 below instead.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

6. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:wim Command
    You would use /Source with /RestoreHealth to specify the location of an install.wim file as the source of known good versions of files that can be used for the repair. This can take around 10-15 minutes up to a few hours to finish depending on the level of corruption. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

This can be useful if step 5 above was not able to repair the Windows image (component store).

The install.wim file will be in the Sources folder of a mounted Windows 10 ISO file.

If you have an install.esd file instead of install.wim, then you would need to use step 7 below instead.

A) Use steps 1-4 in the tutorial below to verify if this edition of Windows 10.
    How to See Full Details about a Windows 10 ISO file
    B) In the elevated command prompt, type the command below you want to use, press Enter, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:<Index Number>

OR

(To prevent DISM from using Windows Update for online images)
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:<Index Number> /limitaccess

Substitute <Index Number> in the command above with the actual index number (ex: "1") for the edition (ex: "Pro") you want details about from step 6A above.

For example: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:D:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

7. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:esd Command
    You would use /Source with /RestoreHealth to specify the location of an install.esd file as the source of known good versions of files that can be used for the repair. This can take around 10-15 minutes up to a few hours to finish depending on the level of corruption. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

This can be useful if step 5 above was not able to repair the Windows image (component store).

The install.esd file will be in the Sources folder of a Windows 10 ISO from Media Creation Tool[/b] (use ISO from OPTION ONE at link) file.

If you have an install.wim file instead of install.esd, then you would need to use step 6 above instead.

B) In the elevated command prompt, type the command below you want to use, press Enter, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:Full Path to install.esd file:<Index Number>

OR

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:Full Path to install.esd file:<Index Number> /limitaccess

Substitute <Index Number> in the command above with the actual index number (ex: "1") for the edition (ex: "Pro") you want details about from step 7A above.

For example:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Install.esd:1 /limitaccess

OR

(USB from Media Creation Tool where E is drive letter of USB)
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:E:\Sources\Install.esd:1 /limitaccess

8 If you did restart the computer to fully apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" Tool in PowerShell
    1 Open an elevated Windows PowerShell.

2 Do step3, step 4, step 5 (recommended), step 6, or step 7 below for what DISM command you would like to use.

3. To Use DISM /CheckHealth Command
    You would use /CheckHealth to only check whether the image has been flagged as corrupted by a failed process and whether the corruption can be repaired. This is just a quick way to see if corruption currently exists, and to inform you if there is corruption. This does not fix anything or create a log. This will finish running almost instantly.

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -CheckHealth

4. To Use DISM /ScanHealth Command
    You would use /ScanHealth to scan the image for component store corruption. This option does not fix any corruption. It only checks for component store corruption and records that corruption to the log file. This can take around 5-10 minutes to finish. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -ScanHealth

5. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth Command
    (recommended) You would use /RestoreHealth to scan the image for component store corruption, perform repair operations automatically, and records that corruption to the log file. This can take around 10-15 minutes up to a few hours to finish depending on the level of corruption. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

You will need to have an Internet connection to run this command.

If this command fails, then you can do step 6 or step 7 below instead.

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

6. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:wim Command
    You would use /Source with /RestoreHealth to specify the location of an install.wim file as the source of known good versions of files that can be used for the repair. This can take around 10-15 minutes up to a few hours to finish depending on the level of corruption. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

The install.wim file will be in the Sources folder of a mounted Windows 10 ISO file.

If you have an install.esd file instead of install.wim, then you would need to use step 7 below instead.

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth -Source "Full Path to install.wim file:<Index Number>"

OR

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth -Source "Full Path to install.wim file:<Index Number>" -LimitAccess

Substitute <Index Number> in the command above with the actual index number (ex: "1") for the edition (ex: "Pro") you want details about from step 6A above.

For example: Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth -Source "D:\sources\install.wim:1" -LimitAccess

7. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:esd Command
    You would use /Source with /RestoreHealth to specify the location of an install.esd file as the source of known good versions of files that can be used for the repair. This can take around 10-15 minutes up to a few hours to finish depending on the level of corruption. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

The install.esd file can be in the Sources folder of a Windows 10 ISO from Media Creation Tool[/b] (Use ISO from OPTION ONE at link) file.

If you have an install.wim file instead of install.esd, then you would need to use step 6 above instead.

A) In the elevated command prompt, type the command below you want to use, press Enter, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth -Source "Full Path to install.esd file:<Index Number>"

OR

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth -Source "Full Path to install.esd file:<Index Number>" -LimitAccess

Substitute <Index Number> in the command above with the actual index number (ex: "1") for the edition (ex: "Pro") you want details about from step 7A above.

For example: Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth -Source "C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Install.esd:1" -LimitAccess

8 If you did restart the computer to fully apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Joanne, Jul 17, 2015
  2. DominicP Win User
    DominicP, Jul 17, 2015
  3. SpiritX MS MVP, Jul 17, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Joanne, *Smile

You can use the command below from step 5 option one to do so unless DISM is unable to repair the Windows image from the default source.

Since it says it can't find the specified source using step 6, your ISO may have been created with .esd instead of .wim. If so, give step 7 a try to see it works.

Brink, Jul 17, 2015
  5. Joanne Win User
    Thank you for your reply! *Smile

Here is the result. Please advise me what to do next to repair my installation. I have the official 10162 ISO on my other SSD.

Here is the reason I am trying this. Look how many times today's update has failed installing....

Joanne, Jul 17, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yep, in that case, use the command below to run the DISM command from the install.wim source on your G: drive. *Smile

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:G:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Brink, Jul 17, 2015
  7. Joanne Win User
    I just did it but it cannot find the source files. I mounted the official 10162 ISO so the G:\ drive was created. Then I run the command. But it doesn't work.

Joanne, Jul 17, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

In that case, run the commands in the order below one at a time.

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

sfc /scannow

sfc /scannow

Brink, Jul 17, 2015
  9. Joanne Win User
    Okay... I've run the 3 out of the 4 commands and...I have issues as it seems....

So, what can I do next, please?

Thank you.

PS: how can I upload the CBS log file, in case it's needed?

Joanne, Jul 17, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    In that case, you may need to refresh Windows 10 instead. *Sad

To upload the CBS.log, you would need to copy it to your desktop first, ZIP it, then upload the ZIP.

Brink, Jul 17, 2015
  11. Joanne Win User
    Thank you for your support, Brink!

Please, allow me to ask you one simple question, before reading that entire tutorial :

- I do not care at all what will happen with my Win 10 TP installation, I do not care wiping everything out of it - because I've not installed anything important- but what I DO care tremendously about is my Win 7 Home Premium installation, it being in a Dual boot system with 10, on this computer. So, I ask : this refreshing or whatever, can it affect my Win 7 in ANY way? Should I unplug my Win 7 SSD before attempting this refreshing?

I would clean install this Win 10 for sure but it is this special occasion now. MS does not offer an official 10240 ISO. So clean-installing would bring me in waiting for 10240 again, etc etc...

So?

Oh! And one last thing... Until a couple of hours ago I was sitting with 10240 untouched, waiting to get updated. But I got bored so I performed a full Disk Cleanup, system files included, AND I have deleted all the files in the SoftwareDistribution/Downloads folder. Will this Refresh still work after all this?

Joanne, Jul 17, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    In that situation, it may be best to refresh Windows since it wouldn't affect your Windows 7 installation, and activation for a clean install of Windows 10 has been temporarily blocked by Microsoft for testing upgrades until the 29th.

As usual, you should always back up anything from Windows 7 you don't want to lose just to be extra safe.

Brink, Jul 17, 2015
  13. Joanne Win User

Okay, thank you very much Brink!!

I will shutdown and unplug my Win 7 SSD now, and then I will refresh my 10240 installation. I have nothing to loose because Office 2016 is the only software I have installed. If it will go well, fine. If not I will delete the volumes of this Win 10 SSD, and wait for an official ISO (or reinstall if I won't get bored).

Thanks again! *Smile

Joanne, Jul 17, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Nar, you'll want to leave Windows 7 connected. Otherwise, it may no longer include it in the "Choose an OS" screen at boot.

Brink, Jul 17, 2015
  15. Joanne Win User
    Back, after unplugging my Win 7 SSD and clearing CMOS.

I use F11 to select the boot disk drive so I never have this boot selection screen *Smile

Going for the Refresh now!! I hope the deletion of all system files and previous installations (full Disk Cleanup) won't affect the Refresh...

Joanne, Jul 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image - Similar Threads - DISM Repair Image

2. Unable to repair Windows using dism.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to repair Windows using dism.: In general, the thing is, I decided one day to check the integrity of Windows, first I ran "sfc /scannow", he wrote that everything is in order, but when I run "dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth", he writes "The component store is repairable.", I decided to fix it by...
  3. Unable to repair Windows using dism.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to repair Windows using dism.: In general, the thing is, I decided one day to check the integrity of Windows, first I ran "sfc /scannow", he wrote that everything is in order, but when I run "dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth", he writes "The component store is repairable.", I decided to fix it by...
  4. Using DISM with a downloaded image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using DISM with a downloaded image: I'm trying to repair a windows 10 installation that is unstable even in safe mode.Within the recovery environment sfc reports errorsdism / online failsso I'm trying to use DISM with a downloaded image on a USB drive.wmic logicaldisk get name shows the USB drive as drive E:...
  5. Using DISM with a downloaded image

Using DISM with a downloaded image: I'm trying to repair a windows 10 installation that is unstable even in safe mode.Within the recovery environment sfc reports errorsdism / online failsso I'm trying to use DISM with a downloaded image on a USB drive.wmic logicaldisk get name shows the USB drive as drive E:...
  6. Using DISM with a downloaded image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Use DISM to repair external drive?

Use DISM to repair external drive?: I am trying to repair an external drive drive H: that won't boot from the PC it belongs to gives Windows errors on bootup, it is apparently running off of Windows 10 Pro version 1909. I have it docked to this PC which is running Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 drive C:. I found a...
  8. Repair Using DISM in Windows PE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair Using DISM in Windows PE: I cannot boot my windows. Already tried automatic startup repair and resetting the PC which both failed. I have a flash drive containing windows 10. so how do I restore it? Restoring corrupt OS in windows 7 and xp was way more simpler than the newer OS. tsk!...
  9. Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image - Fundamentals explanation Pls

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image - Fundamentals explanation Pls: Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image - Fundamentals explanation Pls I have been reading the tutorial for hours and hours and need certain basic explanation in lay man terms. Did lot of google search but its always a bit more technical. 1. DISM command and SFC command It...
  10. DISM Error 0x80f001f...Use Source Option to repair Image

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM Error 0x80f001f...Use Source Option to repair Image: Hi, I just completed a clean install of Windows 10 Pro...all was going fine, but I wanted to run both scf and DISM... If SFC was not able to repair some or all of the files there are a few options including a repair install from the OS dvd, and DISM (win 8 & UP) DISM...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:G:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess