Windows 10: Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image

Discus and support Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; I was able to clean up the component store corruption, by doing a repair install within W10 itself. I had W10 on a USB flash drive and plugged it in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Joanne, Jul 17, 2015.

1. XYZ
    xyz Win User

Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image

Thanks for the reply LittleJay - very glad to hear it - but thought you had used a W7 image to return to 7?

I'm a bit of a dummy in these things so I will have to go through this slowly.

Editing the next bits - because I found some information: = I now have a 4 GB Flash stick with nothing on it plugged in to my computer and in process of downloading W10 through option = Media creation tool = Create installation media for another PC = (selected option) USB flash drive = (is now in process of download to 4 GB Flash Drive Stick (hope 4 GB is large enough!)

Okay, so I gather you just plugged the drive in while your PC was running W10 - and it just automatically started a new (second) upgrade to W10? (but kept all your data and stuff?) is this right so far? if not please tell me what I have got wrong!

Why could you not use the Flash Drive as source to repair corruptions in restorehealth?

and another question:

If this plugging in the Flash Drive really does start a new (second) upgrade/installation of W10 as I think you are saying - would it then be possible for me to have the German version on my 4GB Flash (or does language selection come later???) because the first upgrade I did in English - but because I live in Germany the audio Cortana commands does not work in mixed language/settings/installation ? (mind you this last part is not the most important - most important is that my computer runs okay with W10 - with no damage that causes problems in future)

2. LittleJay Win User

Thanks for the reply - very glad to hear it - but thought you had used a W7 image to return to 7?

Yes, I did return to W7, but then remembered I had fixes Component Store corruption on my W8.1 Pro install with an in place upgrade and it worked. Best of all I didn't lose any setting or software installs.

I'm a bit of a dummy in these things so I will have to go through this slowly.

Editing the next bits - because I found some information: = I now have a 4 GB Flash stick with nothing on it plugged in to my computer and in process of downloading W10 through option = Media creation tool = Create installation media for another PC = (selected option) USB flash drive = (is now in process of download to 4 GB Flash Drive Stick (hope 4 GB is large enough!)

4 Gbs should be enough you if install the single bit version. That is either the 32 bit or 64 bit, whichever you are running.

Okay, so I gather you just plugged the drive in while your PC was running W10 - and it just automatically started a new (second) upgrade to W10? (but kept all your data and stuff?) is this right so far? if not please tell me what I have got wrong!

Yes, that is correct.

Why could you not use the Flash Drive as source to repair corruptions in restorehealth?

I tried, but I couldn't get it to work. But I knew from past experience that Component Store corruption could be fixed with an in place upgrade, because I did it with my W8.1 Pro install a few months ago.

and another question:

If this plugging in the Flash Drive really does start a new (second) upgrade/installation of W10 as I think you are saying - would it then be possible for me to have the German version on my 4GB Flash (or does language selection come later???) because the first upgrade I did in English - but because I live in Germany the audio Cortana commands does not work in mixed language/settings/installation ? (mind you this last part is not the most important - most important is that my computer runs okay with W10 - with no damage that causes problems in future)

I have never tried it with anything but the English version, so I really can't give you an answer to that question. Sorry.

LittleJay, Aug 2, 2015
  3. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    Okay LittleJay thanks a lot for making this clearer - really appreciate it - maybe I should just forget the German version idea - unless someone else can shed more light on this idea!

So now I have three options - use the Windows 8.1 backup to restore 8.1 - try to get restorehealth to use the Flash Drive as source and the command would be - I guess ? =
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:J:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess (J: is my 4GB flash drive) -
    or I can try what you have done and just plug Flash drive while W10 is running and let it do its thing = hopefully an upgrade without losing anything!

I guess I am a bit of a tech coward since I think I too would rather be fishing than doing this - sounds like lots more fun and far more relaxing - but I will probably first try to get restorehealth to use the Flash Drive as source (probably fail like yours did but for me the easiest option as I am scared of doing something wrong and losing everything - although I still have my W8.1 backup - if it works, never done something like this before) and then might try the plugging...and if all fails...my last hope the 8.1 backup restore!

If anybody has experience about trying to use a German Flash version when my first upgrade was English - then please let me know

Thanks again LittleJay - have fun with the fish - I feel like a fish out of the water at the moment

4. LittleJay Win User

You are welcome! I hope you can get things sorted. The way I experiment without fear of screwing things up is that I use Macrium Reflect to create a system image on a separate drive before I proceed. That way, if things don't go as planned, I simply restore the image and put things back to the way they were.

LittleJay, Aug 2, 2015
  5. Xercaium Win User
    It seems that a repair-install of Windows 10 Pro finally fixed my corrupt files. But I'm lost as to why this method fixed the problem, when a clean install did not?

A repair-install of Windows 10 Pro is what I wanted to do, but the installer was asking for a product key and I couldn't go further. So my first clean install ended up being Windows 10 Home, that explains why the repair-install was not starting. I wonder if this is happening because of Windows 10 is being installed on a SSD? The important thing is I got it fixed now.

Xercaium, Aug 3, 2015
  6. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    How did you go about doing this repair install Xercaium?

7. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    As expected:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:K:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:K:\Sources\Install.esd:1 /limitaccess
    both failed

Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image [​IMG]

And plugging in 4 GB USB Flash Stick with downloaded Windows 10 Home (and with Windows 10 Home running) did not automatically start a (repair) (second) Upgrade as you described LittleJay!

So either I did something wrong - settings are wrong - or this is not going to work for me?

So I hope Xercaium can tell me how he managed to get a repair-install done?

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 3, 2015
  9. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    Sorry...but here I am again..... still trying to find a solution
    AND I have found out a couple of interesting things...which I need help with..
    This scan/DISM problem thing referred to updates...and I have just noticed the following:

According to W10 Update History = update KB3074683 keeps trying to install but keeps failing (also today = but if I run manual update I am told there are no updates!)

Also KB3074683 is not in the list of updates – other than as 5x Failure (starting on 2Aug2015)!

BUT if I click on “Uninstall Updates” I see KB3074683 listed and was installed on 29July15

So this I find very weird?

AND

windows fails to install KB3074683 errorcode 0x80070003
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...=1438699412899

several people have this problem and it would seem to have to do with something in registry (Page 2: Mikhail Simintsov replied on August 1, 2015 / BoFiS replied on August 1, 2015 / 五更瑠璃 replied on August 2, 2015 / CRCarlos Reyes García replied on August 4, 2015) = something to do with: UpdatusUser or SID (ghost accounts) Intel...?

Windows 10 Updates fails to install even after multiple attempts.

https://superuser.com/questions/9483...d95501c234ad3c

but it is all a little above my head - not easy at all

10. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    not quite sure I follow your reply = are you saying I can use the 4GB Flash Stick downloaded Windows 10 = to install W10 once again (and not end up losing everything and/or having to pay for this new update) = and that if I just click on the

"setup" and this is an in-place upgrade (= retaining all my data and still the free version upgrade) = that I can go ahead and do this without any problems ?

And this will also resolve the problems (or will I need to do something in registry first? to avoid getting the same problem once again)

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You'll basically just be doing an upgrade installation in your current Windows 10 to Windows 10 again.

Yes, just like using step 6 in the tutorial on the first page. *Smile

Brink, Aug 3, 2015
  12. Xercaium Win User
    @xyz Sorry, I didn't see your reply. Seems Brink got you covered. Hope the repair-install works. I also ran SFC /scannow after the repair-install was done.

Xercaium, Aug 3, 2015
  13. XYZ
    xyz Win User

This is getting crazier by the minute!

This can only happen with MS!

I finally plucked up the courage to click on the Downloaded Flash install W10
    = the install started
    = got to the bit about accepting licence ...blah blah
    = then came the Window to choose what I wanted to keep = 3 options
    But Option 1 = was not an Option = I wasn’t allowed to select this (keep files and apps)
    Leaving me with 2x options = (2) keep only files = (3) keep nothing
    Reason: I was installing a language different to that installed!!!!!!
    I broke off the install

The UK version was selected for Flash download (I think – getting more confused by the minute)
    The installed W10 was UK (I think)

But now I think about it - this was originally a Factory installed Windows 8 Computer – obviously a German language install – I changed to English (language Pack) and used that always, then it was upgraded to Windows 8.1..........And with W10 I didn’t think about this I just chose English (UK?) to install...but now it tells me the installed and downloaded are not the same (did I download or install US by mistake? – almost sure I didn’t – so it can only be the original German language install that is the problem)...but to be honest I don’t understand what is going on at all

So now I am downloading a Flash German version W10 – try that!

I also found that I still had the windows.old file still there – which I thought must have been accidentally deleted - but the “Recovery” file in it is showing empty!

This is a nightmare!

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    xyz,

Yeah, you'll need to upgrade using the same edition, version, and language as what is installed to hopefully have the "Keep everything" option. *Sad

Brink, Aug 4, 2015
  15. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    SUCCESS *Thumbs *cake *Party

another day gone - but the main thing is that I have finally got it working with no corruptions - checked with Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth - nothing found - I guess sfc /scannow is not needed, or should I do this to be sure?

There is still one grey cloud floating about - which I am hoping does not come my way (again) - that troublemaker Security update KB3074683 has so far not be downloaded in updates*Zip:

*Devil

MANY THANKS TO: Brink *ThumbsLittleJay *Thumbs (who no doubt has gone fishing to get over the horror of helping me) Xercaium *Thumbsand to everyone else who was sitting in the Arena laughing, cheering or booing *Drink1

mind you, can't forget the one grey cloud still floating about KB3074683 *Devil

UPDATE - ON THIS GREY CLOUD KB3074683 - just thought to check the uninstall updates - and KB3074683 is listed as being installed (but not in the update list - just like last time) so my hope is that it does not start a repeated attempt to re-install just like it did last time - fingers-crossed!

Thema:

1. Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image - Similar Threads - DISM Repair Image

2. Unable to repair Windows using dism.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to repair Windows using dism.: In general, the thing is, I decided one day to check the integrity of Windows, first I ran "sfc /scannow", he wrote that everything is in order, but when I run "dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth", he writes "The component store is repairable.", I decided to fix it by...
  3. Unable to repair Windows using dism.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to repair Windows using dism.: In general, the thing is, I decided one day to check the integrity of Windows, first I ran "sfc /scannow", he wrote that everything is in order, but when I run "dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth", he writes "The component store is repairable.", I decided to fix it by...
  4. Using DISM with a downloaded image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using DISM with a downloaded image: I'm trying to repair a windows 10 installation that is unstable even in safe mode.Within the recovery environment sfc reports errorsdism / online failsso I'm trying to use DISM with a downloaded image on a USB drive.wmic logicaldisk get name shows the USB drive as drive E:...
  5. Using DISM with a downloaded image

Using DISM with a downloaded image: I'm trying to repair a windows 10 installation that is unstable even in safe mode.Within the recovery environment sfc reports errorsdism / online failsso I'm trying to use DISM with a downloaded image on a USB drive.wmic logicaldisk get name shows the USB drive as drive E:...
  6. Using DISM with a downloaded image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Use DISM to repair external drive?

Use DISM to repair external drive?: I am trying to repair an external drive drive H: that won't boot from the PC it belongs to gives Windows errors on bootup, it is apparently running off of Windows 10 Pro version 1909. I have it docked to this PC which is running Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 drive C:. I found a...
  8. Repair Using DISM in Windows PE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair Using DISM in Windows PE: I cannot boot my windows. Already tried automatic startup repair and resetting the PC which both failed. I have a flash drive containing windows 10. so how do I restore it? Restoring corrupt OS in windows 7 and xp was way more simpler than the newer OS. tsk!...
  9. Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image - Fundamentals explanation Pls

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image - Fundamentals explanation Pls: Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image - Fundamentals explanation Pls I have been reading the tutorial for hours and hours and need certain basic explanation in lay man terms. Did lot of google search but its always a bit more technical. 1. DISM command and SFC command It...
  10. DISM Error 0x80f001f...Use Source Option to repair Image

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM Error 0x80f001f...Use Source Option to repair Image: Hi, I just completed a clean install of Windows 10 Pro...all was going fine, but I wanted to run both scf and DISM... If SFC was not able to repair some or all of the files there are a few options including a repair install from the OS dvd, and DISM (win 8 & UP) DISM...