Windows 10: Use external display by default

Discus and support Use external display by default in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm using a Lenovo laptop with an external wired monitor. Every time I shut down the laptop, I need to go to Settings < Display and select Display 2 on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by usfjjc, May 11, 2020.

1. usfjjc Win User

Use external display by default

I'm using a Lenovo laptop with an external wired monitor. Every time I shut down the laptop, I need to go to Settings < Display and select Display 2 on the laptop display. Is there a way to make the external monitor the default one when I turn the laptop on?

:)

usfjjc, May 11, 2020
  2. Arul_D Win User

Projecting to an external display

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Windows 10.

I understand that you are unable to use external display with windows 10.

This usually occurs if the video driver was not installed properly or not configured correctly.so I would suggest you to reinstall the drivers in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Uninstall Display Adapter drivers

I suggest you to uninstall the display drivers and reinstall them in compatibility mode.

To uninstall the driver, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type devmgmt.msc
    • Right click on the driver you want to uninstall
    • Click on Uninstall
    • Restart the system
    After the computer restarts, install the driver in compatibility mode.

• Select the setup file
    • Right click on it and click on
      properties
    • Click on Compatibility tab
    • Select the operating system
    • Click Ok.
    Hope it helps, do get back to us if you need further assistance with Windows.

Arul_D, May 11, 2020
  3. SoNQ Win User
    Projecting to an external display

Hi,

When the computer restarts the driver re-installs its self. and also how would I go about going into compatability mode. Would this be through internet explorer?

Any insite on this would be a great help.

Best Regards,

Shaun Johnson

4. Vivian_S Win User

External monitor display settings

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with the display scaling on your external displays. We will certainly look into this for you.

As you are using Vizio TV, you may have to try using custom resolution settings if the in-built settings do not provide the required settings.

For better clarity, please let us know:

• What is the version of Windows 10 that is currently installed on your computer? You can click on Search and type
      winver.
    • Are you aware of any recent changes to the system, such as updates, after which you are facing this issue?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to check the steps mentioned in the Workaround section in

Windows scaling issues for high-DPI devices

I would also suggest you to check the Display drivers. Please refer

Troubleshoot external monitor connections in Windows 10

Set up dual monitors on Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Vivian S

Vivian_S, May 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Use external display by default - Similar Threads - external display default

2. default display adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    default display adapter: after reinstalling AMD radeon HD 7400 driver graphics work fine. But after reboot defalut back to intel very poor perfomance adapter on Vostro. How do I invoke the Radeon card on bootup ALWAYS....
  3. Please help! Laptop integrated display will not use Nvidia, but will use it on external...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please help! Laptop integrated display will not use Nvidia, but will use it on external...: I have an alienware laptop with a qled display and nvidia 3070 rtx. It's always worked fine, but for the last year, I had it connected to an external display for gaming. I recently bought a desktop and gave the laptop to my son. Now when he tries to play games using the...
  4. Please help! Laptop integrated display will not use Nvidia, but will use it on external...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please help! Laptop integrated display will not use Nvidia, but will use it on external...: I have an alienware laptop with a qled display and nvidia 3070 rtx. It's always worked fine, but for the last year, I had it connected to an external display for gaming. I recently bought a desktop and gave the laptop to my son. Now when he tries to play games using the...
  5. External Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Display: I am trying to connect my surface go 3 as an external display for my laptop pc. I have followed all the steps and the pc recognizes the tablet as an output device as well. But it still won't connect. Finally, it shows a message saying unable to connect and to retry from the...
  6. External Display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Display: I am trying to connect my surface go 3 as an external display for my laptop pc. I have followed all the steps and the pc recognizes the tablet as an output device as well. But it still won't connect. Finally, it shows a message saying unable to connect and to retry from the...
  7. display colors default

in Windows 10 Customization
    display colors default: Mt display is black and white and there are no color options. It seems that it is locked on the black and white mode and I can't change it's mind. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-colors-default/4307dc73-08ae-412b-aa05-2005fd8ff0b3
  8. Is it possible to use a laptop as an external display without using wireless display?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to use a laptop as an external display without using wireless display?: Travelling to uni in the near future and while I have a second monitor I would want to leave one of them at home so I don't have to carry them to uni and back. A solution I came across was using a my laptop as a wireless display which while functional isn't the best...
  9. Using two external displays with a laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Using two external displays with a laptop: I have a laptop with Windows 10 and Intel HD 4000 graphics card. Can I connect two external monitors and turn off my main laptop display, so I can extend the screens on the two external displays and not use the main laptop screen?....
  10. External displays using only Integrated graphics card when connected using Dell Display dock

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External displays using only Integrated graphics card when connected using Dell Display dock: Hello! I am running a Razer Blade with a GTX 1060 6Gb GPU. I just got a new Dell Universal Dock D6000 that uses software called DisplayLink for my two external monitors. After setting the monitors up I wanted to run Diablo 3 and see how it looked with the new setup. The...