Windows 10: Use File History or Win 7 Backup & Restore?

Discus and support Use File History or Win 7 Backup & Restore? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've been using Backup & Restore on some Win 7 systems but now I have added a new Win 10 PC (from HP). It's not entirely clear to me why I would use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by larrymcg, Nov 12, 2015.

1. larrymcg Win User

Use File History or Win 7 Backup & Restore?

I've been using Backup & Restore on some Win 7 systems but now I have added a new Win 10 PC (from HP).

It's not entirely clear to me why I would use the Win 10 File History facility versus Win 7 Backup & Restore. File History looks like a partial backup. I'd prefer a full backup. Win 10 advertises creating a System Image (good advice) but I don't consider that an alternative to a file backup with all the files (mine and the system's).

Am I missing something here about File History?

-- Larry

:)

larrymcg, Nov 12, 2015
  2. RDrewD2 Win User

Do I need to use File History as well? What is the difference between Backup and Restore and File History?

If you're already using another program for backups (either Backup & Restore Win7 or third party), then no, you don't need to add File History to your backup routine.
    This is just opinion, but if you've got a backup solution that works and you're comfortable using, rely on that; run File History if you want to as a redundant backup, but not as your only backup.

In addition to a file backup, Backup & Restore (Win7) allows you to create a system image and repair disk, File History doesn't.
    B&R will save to a separate partition or external drive, File History requires saving to an external drive only.
    In my experience, File History also seems to adhere to any backup schedule rather loosely (I've had it miss backups on numerous occasions), while B&R seems to stick to a set schedule much more reliably.

The only advantages I've found with File History are that: 1) File History backups can be browsed through via file explorer, while B&R backups can't 2) File History is easily accessed from either Control Panel or the Settings menu, and 3) File History will
    easily allow for multiple chronological versions of the same file to be saved, i.e. you can very simply track changes you've made to a given document over time.
    But personally, I don't think File History has any real advantage over using a decent third-party program, or even Backup & Restore (Windows 7).

RDrewD2, Nov 12, 2015
  3. LShel42 Win User
    Windows 10 Backup Plan

I'm looking for help establishing a sound backup process. I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. When I had Win 7, I backed up my files to an external drive with a nightly Win 7 Backup and Restore backup run which included a system image. Once a week I would save
    the current System Image to an image library. I have maintained that process since my upgrade to Windows 10. In addition to the nightly scheduled user file backup using Windows 7 Backup and Restore, I also maintained a continuously updated user file backup
    using the software native to the external drive. That provided a belt and suspenders set of backups for my user files.

Now I see that there is also a File History folder on my external drive. It would appear that this may be redundant to the Windows 7 Backup and Restore backup. So now I appear to have a belt and two sets of suspenders. I'm not sure if the File History and
    the Windows 7 Backup both save the same exact files or not, so I don't know which one is the more complete backup (if there's a difference).

It has been nice having lots of options for file restoration and recovery. I've used them all from time to time, but I know I'm using a lot of disk space with all these (probably) redundant backups.

I'd like to hear comments on my current backup process and suggestions for improving it, especially comments regarding the Windows 7 Backup and Restore versus the File History backup. Thanks.

LShel42, Nov 12, 2015
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Welcome to the forum.

The File History was never intended as a replacement for maintaining backups. There really is no substitute for such backups. The problem is that most people never even think of making backups until they loose data, and then it is often too late. File History is a poor backup but it is better than nothing. And it may be more convenient than restoring files from backup.

LMiller7, Nov 13, 2015
  5. larrymcg Win User
    Thanks for that info. I guess I will be using Win 7 Backup & Restore on the win 10 system.
    -- Larry *Smile

larrymcg, Nov 14, 2015
  6. b1rd Win User
    Hey Larry-

Win-10 has the same type of imaging program as Win-7. There's also some others out there, which are free.

I, personally, use all four of them. I use all four because I've had issues in the past, where one thing or another caused an image not to load. This way I have other programs to try. Plus I have the storage and they're free...

They all work pretty much the same. I would recommend using each program's file integrity / validation option. Two of them will check during the imaging process and one you have to manually check it, via the program (I think it's EaseUS )

* I have not restore an image on Win-10 as of yet, but I did use all three to make images and they worked fine with Win-10 (build 10586.0) on my machine.

If interested, they are:

AOMEI Backupper

EaseUS Todo Backup Free

Macrium Reflect

Regards,

Edit:

I'm having an issue with inserting the hyperlink for AOMEI. HERE'S THE LINK AGAIN.

b1rd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Use File History or Win 7 Backup & Restore? - Similar Threads - File History Backup

2. Can Xcopy be used for File History and Win 7 Backup and Restore?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Xcopy be used for File History and Win 7 Backup and Restore?: I've been attempting to move File History and my Win 7 backups to a new drive. So far I've spent an extraordinary amount of time fighting "can't move file ??" because of verification errors. I'd hate to think of what the Win 7 backup files would bring me....
  3. Can Xcopy be used for File History and Win 7 Backup and Restore?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can Xcopy be used for File History and Win 7 Backup and Restore?: I've been attempting to move File History and my Win 7 backups to a new drive. So far I've spent an extraordinary amount of time fighting "can't move file ??" because of verification errors. I'd hate to think of what the Win 7 backup files would bring me....
  4. Can Xcopy be used for File History and Win 7 Backup and Restore?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Backup and Restore - Win 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore - Win 7: I tried using the Win 7 Backup and restore. Below is a screen print of my settings. After a backup and deleting programs etc, I did a restore but my programs were not restored. My data files were restored.Can you suggest what I might have done wrong that the programs were not...
  6. Backup and Restore - Win 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup and Restore - Win 7: I tried using the Win 7 Backup and restore. Below is a screen print of my settings. After a backup and deleting programs etc, I did a restore but my programs were not restored. My data files were restored.Can you suggest what I might have done wrong that the programs were not...
  7. File History VS Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History VS Backup and Restore: Hi. So I have this 2TB external hard drive which uses the USB type-C so I can leave it plugged in all the time. I've done all the system repair disc, restore point, system image and recovery drive. 1) can the same external drive be used for both file history and backup and...
  8. Backup and Restore Question for File History

Backup and Restore Question for File History: I have used File History for a number of years to backup my files. I can see it running and according to the program it operates successfully. For the heck of it I tried to restore a file, just to see if it would work. It ended up only finding a backup from July 2019, yet...
  9. Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option

Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option: Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option the program show a message the media is write protected and the backup abort with error 0x80070013 please advice thanks Cesar Mantilla...
  10. Backup and Restore with File History

Backup and Restore with File History: I'm backing up using file history. If I indicate a folder structure such as c:\Users, do all subordinate or child folders and files contained therein get backed up. I tried a test of this and it does not seem to do the backup. Is there a switch somewhere that I'm missing?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. HAVE ANY CHANGES BEEN MADE IN THE BACKUP PROCESS WHEN WIN 10 IS USING THE WIN 7 BACKUP PROGRAMS ?