Windows 10: Use Internal SSD With Windows 10 installed as a Temporary External Drive?

Discus and support Use Internal SSD With Windows 10 installed as a Temporary External Drive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just want to make sure it won't damage or mess up any files if I plug in my secondary laptop's SSD to my main laptops USB port I have a SATA to USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BM_10, May 2, 2020.

1. BM_10 Win User

Use Internal SSD With Windows 10 installed as a Temporary External Drive?

I just want to make sure it won't damage or mess up any files if I plug in my secondary laptop's SSD to my main laptops USB port I have a SATA to USB cord meant for this. I need the space that the SSD has temporarily.

:)

BM_10, May 2, 2020
  2. neilpzz Win User

Trying to install windows on mac on external ssd usb drive

As far as I'm aware Windows 10 cannot be installed on an external drive only on an internal SSD or HDD.

neilpzz, May 2, 2020
  3. How do install my copy of Windows 10 on an SSD that I will then swap for the internal SSD in my Dell Laptop?

Let me clarify:

I have gone through downloading the iso of Windows 10 installer and started the installation process right up to where it begins to restart, at which point I have quit because it never asks for an installation target and gives every sign that it is going
    to wipe my internal SSD and install there.

I may be wrong but do not want to risk it wiping my internal drive, before I have had a chance to set up my external SSD as the boot drive.

My issue, which you have not addressed is installing a bootable version of Windows 10 on the external SSD (in a USB case) which I then propose to boot off to check it works before installing that external SSD internally into my Dell Inspiron 11.

This is a trivial exercise for OSX. Is it, or is it not possible with Windows? If so what are the exact steps?

PeterBreis, May 2, 2020
  4. jake Win User

From Ubuntu, Installing Windows 10 on an external SSD

I've followed every post about this subject, but I feel like most breeze over details, so maybe I have a few misconceptions:

Steps to Problem:

1. Downloading the ISO file here: Scarica Windows 10
    2. Format external SSD to be NTFS
    3. Install ISO onto external SSD using mkusb
    4. Boot onto external SSD produces the windows 10 installation screen, but when I get past the language screen I get: "windows 10 A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard Disk driver"

Question:

• Do I need to install windows on a bootable USB instead of the SSD? How then can I demand the USB installation installs onto the SSD and not the main hard drive (which has Ubuntu)
    • This error is usually seen for Windows 7 (missing usb3.0 drivers, but Windows10 comes with them, corrupted ISO, but I'm fairly sure the ISO is good)

I'm a bit lost as how to accomplish this. Some help in this regard would be swell. I have a laptop with Ubuntu (an internal SSD), and a blank external SSD (With the official Windows 10 ISO and an official product key), and want to get Windows on the external drive.

jake, May 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Use Internal SSD With Windows 10 installed as a Temporary External Drive? - Similar Threads - Internal SSD installed

2. Can I install Windows on an external SSD and use on Macbook that has no internal disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I install Windows on an external SSD and use on Macbook that has no internal disk?: Hello,I would like to install Windows on an external SSD and use on a Macbook that has a failed internal disk. Is this possible and if so, how should I proceed?Many thanksAndrea...
  3. Can I install Windows on an external SSD and use on Macbook that has no internal disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I install Windows on an external SSD and use on Macbook that has no internal disk?: Hello,I would like to install Windows on an external SSD and use on a Macbook that has a failed internal disk. Is this possible and if so, how should I proceed?Many thanksAndrea...
  4. Clone a Windows 11 external SSD installation to internal ssd partition of Steam Deck

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone a Windows 11 external SSD installation to internal ssd partition of Steam Deck: Let me describe what I currently have and what I would like to do. I have my Steam Deck set up with Windows 11 installed on an external SSD. When I want to use Windows on my Steam Deck, I shut down the Deck, plug in the SSD, start up, and I'm running Windows.Here's what I...
  5. Clone a Windows 11 external SSD installation to internal ssd partition of Steam Deck

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clone a Windows 11 external SSD installation to internal ssd partition of Steam Deck: Let me describe what I currently have and what I would like to do. I have my Steam Deck set up with Windows 11 installed on an external SSD. When I want to use Windows on my Steam Deck, I shut down the Deck, plug in the SSD, start up, and I'm running Windows.Here's what I...
  6. Will this work to turn internal SSD into external drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Will this work to turn internal SSD into external drive?: Hi OK I got a new fan and attempted to fix my old laptop (the Acer Aspire 5742) but it didn't work. (Even though the old fan looks ok. And it wasn't even that dusty). But it was an eleven year old laptop, so... Anyway I still have 4 days work on the old laptop SSD. So will...
  7. Can't use internal SSD as a boot drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't use internal SSD as a boot drive: I deselected secure boot and there was no improvement, but my usb external hard drive works as a boot drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-use-internal-ssd-as-a-boot-drive/2c62e9e9-3db5-4143-8794-6d36e961e7cf
  8. A way to install W10 on a external SSD with Linux on internal SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A way to install W10 on a external SSD with Linux on internal SSD?: Is there a way that wouldn t screw up dual boot? How about the drivers? i have USBC interface on both the laptop and ext SSD. And I want to install W10 on the SSD while having Fedora on the internal SSD. 180379
  9. How to system clone an external hard drive to internal ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to system clone an external hard drive to internal ssd: I recently got my laptop hdd replaced with an ssd and needed the entire system cloned but I guess the technician didn't understand because he gave me a laptop with a fresh windows 10 copy and only the user profile files stored in a folder called backup Is it possible to...
  10. Backup Questions Using the Internal or an External Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup Questions Using the Internal or an External Drive: I am trying to use Windows 10 Rescue and Recovery to back up or image my entire HD. I will either backup onto my internal HD or an external HD. The Resue and Recovery does not give the option to use the C drive so it seems to me that if I created another drive or partition on...