Windows 10: Use Macrium Reflect to backup a partition or the drive

Discus and support Use Macrium Reflect to backup a partition or the drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My laptop, which is essentially a portable version of my desktop, has one physical drive partitioned into System and Data partitions. The Data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by tpriest, Aug 4, 2018.

1. tpriest Win User

Use Macrium Reflect to backup a partition or the drive

My laptop, which is essentially a portable version of my desktop, has one physical drive partitioned into System and Data partitions. The Data partition is sync'd with my laptop so, if it were to be lost, it could be readily, though slowly, recovered.

I use Reflect to create backups and my son and I - he lives 30 minutes drive away - swap backup drives every few weeks. At the moment I create an image containing both the System and Data partitions. Clearly, as the data volume is fairly large, it takes some time to create the image which is also fairly large.

It seems to be more sensible to only image the System partition. However, in the event of some disaster, could the image be restored to either a replacement drive, or even a new PC?

:)

tpriest, Aug 4, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    • Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    • Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    • click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Use Macrium Reflect to backup a partition or the drive [​IMG]
    • Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    • Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Aug 4, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Macrium Reflect and SSD drive

Here's an easy way to do it, With your SSD connected.

• If not already done. Create a backup image of your current Windows HD. From Macrium, click on "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows"
      NOTE: you could actually clone the disk, but create a backup then restore will allow Macrium to correctly align the cluster size and perform trimming on the new SSD.
    • After step 1 is done, click on Restore tab, select the image from step 1 then click on Select different target disk, select the SSD as destination disk then click on Next->Finish. No need to use/boot from Rescue disk. It will be faster and Macrium will also perform trimming on the new SSD.
    • Disconnect the HD and reboot. Windows should boot up with the new SSD.

topgundcp, Aug 4, 2018
  4. DavidY Win User

Macrium Reflect Backup Failures

I see that all the VSS Writers claim 'No Error' (perhaps optimistically).

So am I right in thinking your disk setup looks like this? :
    • Main disk with
      • C: drive
      • System drive (incidentally I wanted to check that Offline was set to No; it was)
      • Recovery Tools
      • Recovery Partition ('Image')
    • A WD Passport drive with encryption (I have something similar) which
      • Emulates a CD drive on drive F: so you can type in a password, and
      • Has drive K: for data once you've unlocked it
    • Drive H: which is a Freeagent (Seagate?) drive, which if I remember rightly is the one you were trying to backup to in the first place?
    • DVD/CD drive as drive E:

Is there any space on the K: drive? I wonder what would happen if you set up a new backup job in Macrium, which perhaps just selected the two smallest partitions on the main system drive (ESP and WinRETools), and then tried to backup to a folder on K: (if there's space). It might eliminate one or two things, although wouldn't be much use as a backup. Another thing to try would be safely removing then unplugging the K: drive altogether, and trying something like the original backup.

But I admit I really don't know the answer. @simrick do you have any more ideas?

The only other thing I found was some software called VSSTrace which is part of the Windows Software Development Kit, which might perhaps give more helpful error messages on whatever is going wrong with VSS. (I'm assuming VSS is the problem because I believe both System Restore and Macrium use it, and the error code started with VSS_.) But it's too late for me in this timezone to look at that today.

DavidY, Aug 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Use Macrium Reflect to backup a partition or the drive - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect backup

2. Differential Backup On Cloned Drive (Macrium Reflect)?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Differential Backup On Cloned Drive (Macrium Reflect)?: I replaced my hard drive, same size. So I cloned it. Can I do a differential backup based on a full image of the original drive using the clone? Using Macrium Reflect Free Edition as my backup software. 181683
  3. Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?: I been using Macrium Reflect Free for a few weeks now and it already saved me from reinstalling Windows three times already. I want to know for backup images is it better to get a dedicated external drive for image backups or just to use an internal drive like I am using now....
  4. Macrium Reflect and SSD drive

Macrium Reflect and SSD drive: I want to add a SSD Drive SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7KE256BW to my computer. I have done a system image of my WD drive,will I be able to install the image to the SSD drive? The WD drive has a partition on it that is...
  5. Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free

Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free: A couple of days ago Macrium was working just fine but then when it started it's daily backup of my system drive (incremental) it failed pretty well straight away, with this message: Starting Image - Friday, January 20, 2017 15:05:10 Initializing Destination Drive:...
  6. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  7. How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?

How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?: I've configured Reflect to automatically run full and differential backups to two drives as shown in the enclosed Reflect status report. [img] The report says the last " full system backup to usb hdd" was run on 14/11/16 and was successful. However when I look at the file...
  8. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: Hello Everybody, I don't understand this line. (see screenshot. I'm going to use O: as my USB drive. So do I create O:\WinPE\rescue\media? Don Cole [img] 106524
  9. Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File

Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File: I think I understand the idea behind the Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File. It saves backup settings so you don’t need to re-enter them. What I don’t get is how it’s supposed to be used over time. Right now I create a new one every time I do a full backup and then use it...
  10. Macrium Reflect...Disk Partitions query...

Macrium Reflect...Disk Partitions query...: I finally persuaded my friend to start performing Backups (using Macrium Reflect Free). However, I'm confused about the large number of partitions showing on his system- see the attached screenshot. The backup runs successfully, but I wondered if anyone could explain...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. macrium partions required to backup and restore windows

2. how to use macrium reflect for backup to samsung portable ssd T5 on Windows 10 pro