Windows 10: Use my physical/real license to activate VM on same device.

Discus and support Use my physical/real license to activate VM on same device. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, My Windows is activated by a digital license. On that PC I have setup a dual boot with linux. Sometimes, when on linux, I need to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Banzeo, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Banzeo Win User

Use my physical/real license to activate VM on same device.

Hello,

My Windows is activated by a digital license. On that PC I have setup a dual boot with linux.

Sometimes, when on linux, I need to use Windows, but would prefer not to have to boot into windows and use a Win10 virtual machine instead.

So I installed Win10 same edition in a VM virtualbox on my linux distribution debian.

I read some people explaining how to get it activated thanks to the OEM key stored in the computer in any ACPI table I believe. But I don't have that ACPI table on my PC.

How can I get Win10 activated on the VM ?

That VM runs on the same physical PC as my Win10 that is digitally activated.

The Win10 guest ie. in the VM is for use from a Linux Host, so both Win10 VM & real won't run at the same time.

Regards.

:)

Banzeo, Feb 20, 2021

2. Windows Server 2016 Standard VM Licensing

Hello

I have a physical server that I already installed windows server 2016 on and activated using an OEM license.

If I create 2 VMs using hyper V, can I activate the 2 VMs using the same license key I used to activate the physical server with?

Second question, if I need two additional VMs, can I buy another Oem license, to activate the other 2 newly created ones and have a total of 4 activated VMs ?

AhmadSalhany, Feb 20, 2021
  3. UTPharmer Win User
    Transfer License from a VM to a real PC

I have two VMs that were activated and licensed correctly for Windows 10 Pro. These VMs were used for remote access by employees that no longer work at the company. The company is no longer utilizing remote employees in any capacity. That said, we have two
    licenses that are currently installed on the two dormant virtual machines, and I'd like to move those to physical desktops. How can I reclaim them? I have the two keys still, but I don't know if it's as simple as installing a Windows 10 fresh on a PC and then
    installing one of those keys onto it. The one thing I see as an issue is that they are OEM keys. Since there isn't a physical motherboard, however, I'm not sure if that matters or not.

UTPharmer, Feb 20, 2021
  4. Use my physical/real license to activate VM on same device.

VM Licenses

Hi Pat,

according license agreement

"we grant you the right to install and run one instance of the software on your device (the licensed device), for use by one person at a time, so long as you comply with all the terms of this agreement.

b. Device. In this agreement, “device” means a hardware system (whether physical or virtual) with an internal storage device capable of running the software."

So each license allow to have one Windows instance. You need one license for hast machine and separate license for each VM unfortunately.

Igor Leyko, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

Use my physical/real license to activate VM on same device.

1. Use my physical/real license to activate VM on same device. - Similar Threads - physical real license

2. Can a Physical Server and a VM Server coexist with the same license?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can a Physical Server and a VM Server coexist with the same license?: We have a client that has recently cloned their physical 2012 server, running Parallels, to a VM server. They want to use this VM server as fall back when and if that physical server goes down. This VM will only be turned once the physical server is down allowing remote users...
  3. Can a Physical Server and a VM Server coexist with the same license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can a Physical Server and a VM Server coexist with the same license?: We have a client that has recently cloned their physical 2012 server, running Parallels, to a VM server. They want to use this VM server as fall back when and if that physical server goes down. This VM will only be turned once the physical server is down allowing remote users...
  4. Using windows key for the same device but in a vm lxc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using windows key for the same device but in a vm lxc: Hello!I'm using Ubuntu as my main os. But I want to be able to use Windows 11 too. So I installed it with lxd and lxc and now I have Windows 11 on the same PC as where I got the key from. But I can't use the key because it is looked to another device. But it's the same device...
  5. Using windows key for the same device but in a vm lxc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using windows key for the same device but in a vm lxc: Hello!I'm using Ubuntu as my main os. But I want to be able to use Windows 11 too. So I installed it with lxd and lxc and now I have Windows 11 on the same PC as where I got the key from. But I can't use the key because it is looked to another device. But it's the same device...
  6. Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM: Hi there If you have a spare external (or even internal) HDD / SSD that you want to use as a "Physical" Disk drive say on a Windows VM using native ntfs for exampleso you can unplug it later and connect to a Windows physical machine etc to copy data etc then it's easy enough...
  7. Booting a Windows VM from Real physical disc or a physical EXT USB

Booting a Windows VM from Real physical disc or a physical EXT USB: Hi folks Not sure if this works on HYPER-V but using KVM/QEMU you can boot a Windows VM from a real physical HDD or a Windows to Go stored on an external USB. This means that you can say backup an image of your REAL Windows system and then attach the disk to the VM and then...
  8. Transfer License from a VM to a real PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer License from a VM to a real PC: I have two VMs that were activated and licensed correctly for Windows 10 Pro. These VMs were used for remote access by employees that no longer work at the company. The company is no longer utilizing remote employees in any capacity. That said, we have two licenses that are...
  9. OEM license and VM activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OEM license and VM activation: I am about to buy a Dell laptop, which unfortunatelly has Win10 pro pre-installed. I actually need Ubuntu, but at this time only the laptop version with Windows preinstalled is available. I will have to reinstall Ubuntu on top, but, in long term, I will have windows running...
  10. Esxi users -- using RAW (physical ) disks in VM's

Esxi users -- using RAW (physical ) disks in VM's: Hi folks those of you who are trying / using Esxi then it;s possible to pass thru (or attach) physical RAW disks to your VM's - so you can attach existing Windows (NTFS) or Linux formatted disks and also RAID configured arrays as RAW disks. For software RAID attach the...