Windows 10: Use of environment variable for username in a shortcut (Win 10-1909)

Discus and support Use of environment variable for username in a shortcut (Win 10-1909) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I can run a .bat file with a path such as "C:\Users\Stan\Desktop\PosnPushAlert.lnk" But if I try to use "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Desktop\PosnPushAlert.lnk"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Atom1, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Atom1 Win User

Use of environment variable for username in a shortcut (Win 10-1909)

I can run a .bat file with a path such as "C:\Users\Stan\Desktop\PosnPushAlert.lnk"
    But if I try to use "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Desktop\PosnPushAlert.lnk"
    it fails.
    If I run the .bat file directly instead of from a shortcut, then using the environment variable works. I'm using the shortcut to keep the window hidden.

:)

Atom1, Mar 5, 2021
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

System environment variable won't stick

Running Win10 Home on an Acer Spin 3, 64bit, i7cpu. I try to add a path to the system environment variables by:

1. Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > Environment variables

2. The "Environment Variables" window opens.
    3. In the "System Variables" pane I select "Path" and click the EDIT button.
    4. A list of the current system paths is displayed.
    5. I click the NEW button, browse to the path I want to add which is "C:\Python36-32" and click OK. The path "C:\Python36-32" is added to the list of current system paths.
    6. I click OK and am returned to the "Environment Variables" window.
    7. I click the "X" at the top right to close the "Environment Variables" window.

Now if I click the "Environment Variables" button again (end of step-1) and repeat steps 2-4, the new path I added in step-5 is gone. IOW, adding a new path won't stick.

What am I doing wrong?

3. Edit - Set Environment Variables

Recently I upgraded my Machine from Win 8 to Win 10, but I encountered many problems like virtual boxes related issues that does not create any problems prior to upgrading to Win 10.My mean concern as of now is I cant edit the system variable even I logged
    as the admin of my machine.I would like to add Java Jdk but windows does not allow me to add the path to environment variables.

Is this a bug? Or what are the steps in order to edit environment variables in Windows 10 machine

Ian

ianrusseladem, Mar 5, 2021
  4. Use of environment variable for username in a shortcut (Win 10-1909)

Searching environment variable in list

I'm using a command that gives me a list of environment variables. When searching in the list, I want to find all environment variables with the word
    EXTERNAL; using the following command all that is occurring is all the environment variables are being listed instead of those environment variables with the word
    EXTERNAL ?

findstr /c "EXTERNAL"

StraightWorld, Mar 5, 2021
Thema:

Use of environment variable for username in a shortcut (Win 10-1909)

1. Use of environment variable for username in a shortcut (Win 10-1909) - Similar Threads - environment variable username

2. environment variables

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    environment variables: Cant get the modal window when editing my system variables from the environment variables areai get this windowand i want this window https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/07d24fc8-345d-4062-8169-3fa9bb16a049
  3. environment variables

in Windows 10 Gaming
    environment variables: Cant get the modal window when editing my system variables from the environment variables areai get this windowand i want this window https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/07d24fc8-345d-4062-8169-3fa9bb16a049
  4. environment variables

in Windows 10 Customization
    environment variables: I have accidentally deleted all environment variables and now can't reset PC, sound problems and having errors withsoftware installations and running of other apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/3412f031-f141-4fb5-858c-009dd5639860
  5. environment variables

environment variables: Hi, another question from a noob. I see in my PC environment variables at the bottom of the list a sole entry called ZES_ENABLE SYSMAN 1 .I am a sole PC home windows 10 user who only really games a lot. Should this be here, i can only find entries for this in the...
  6. Environment Variables

Environment Variables: I am unable to add USER Variable in windows environment variable setting. Not asking for Path variables in system variables. Help will be appreciated. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/0d063cb8-ccde-465d-8b8b-d5c1ea880c78
  7. environment variable

environment variable: What would happen when we deleted all the environment variable system directory. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variable/723a4cb6-5baf-4907-a56b-614f35d77da5
  8. Environment variable deleted in windows 10 1909 version

Environment variable deleted in windows 10 1909 version: I have accidently deleted my all the environment variable directory in windows 10 thats why I founded error in controlling my dell laptop and running programe. Help me plz what can I do to set my environment that was before and nothing happen after reseting my laptop....
  9. Environment Variables

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Environment Variables: what will happen if i accidentally delete one of those environment variables without realizing it ? and how to fix it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/fedbdf36-ce8e-4861-a775-1dc62dd1c67e
  10. Create Environment Variables Shortcut in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Environment Variables Shortcut in Windows: How to: Create Environment Variables Shortcut in Windows How to Create Environment Variables Shortcut in Windows Environment variables are a set of dynamic named values that can affect the way running processes will behave on a computer. The variables can be used both...