Windows 10: Use old w7 ssd as second hd in new w10 64bit home/8GB/M.2 128GB ssd

Discus and support Use old w7 ssd as second hd in new w10 64bit home/8GB/M.2 128GB ssd in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi to all on the W10 forum This is my first post here, and I have a query as to how to achieve the following: I am going to remove the SSD from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Lojong, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Lojong Win User

Use old w7 ssd as second hd in new w10 64bit home/8GB/M.2 128GB ssd

Hi to all on the W10 forum

This is my first post here, and I have a query as to how to achieve the following:

I am going to remove the SSD from my old W7 laptop, which I wish to use as a second HD in my new PCS Ultranote IV
    W10 home 64bit 8GB M.2 128GB.

My query is: If I install the W7 SSD into my new Notebook and attempt to clean it before using it as a second HD, will there be any damaging conflict with the W10 OS & M.2 SSD and boot problems? I only have the one computer, a SSD enclosure and an external 350GB SSD.

I guess that I am really posing two question here. The question of any conflicting damage and is there any other way to achieve my aim using the few items mentioned here.

All advice and guidance would be much appreciated.

All best wishes

:)

Lojong, Feb 6, 2017

2. Still no Windows 10 Home upgrade to threshold 2 and its mid- January

1 Feb 2016: Still no update.

Link 1 section 1 is for W7 or W8 . I am running a new W10 Home 64-bit version; not an upgrade.

Link 2 implies it is not safe to use the download media tool on an existing W10 PC.

My PC specification is 8GB Ram ; Windows 10 Home; Intel I5 - 4690K 3.5GHz CPU. Nvidia GeForce GTX-960 graphics.

C drive 128GB SSD (18GB free), D drive 1TB Sata - 3.

ExiledTyker, Feb 6, 2017
  3. New SSD drive on laptop - need to install W10 Home 64bit (same as it's currently running)

I am upgrading my son's laptop to use an SSD and will need to instal W10 Home 64bit on the new SSD. Do I need to purchase W10 again or can I download it and install then use the existing key.

LawrenceReeder, Feb 6, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Unplug any external USB HDD;s,
    With the laptop with the M2 SSD installed and the old SSD plugged in, Boot into Setup (Bios) make sure both the M2 SSD and the old SSD are showing. Then go to the Boot tab, move the M2 SSD to the top of the boot order, move the SSD to the bottom or out of the boot order all together if possible. Save and Exit.
    Boot the computer into Windows on the M2, Backup any files you want from the Old SSD, go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc, Right click the diskmgmt results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Disk Management window, in the Lower pane, right click the old SSD and choose Format. There will be no damage. Use this drive for data storage.

spunk, Feb 6, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    an easier Windows 10 way (IMHO) to get to disk management is to press Windows key + X and select disk management. You'll find some other goodies in the Win + X list too.

NavyLCDR, Feb 6, 2017
  6. Lojong Win User
    Thank you Spunk and Navy LCDR for you instructions and info.

I will get back on the case this w.end, and will report back with results soonest.

Best regards

Lojong, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Use old w7 ssd as second hd in new w10 64bit home/8GB/M.2 128GB ssd - Similar Threads - old ssd second

2. how to use SSD M.2?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to use SSD M.2?: Ive gotten this installed onto my mother board already, formatted it, and confirmed i have 1.8 TB of extra space in a New Volume D:. Say i have 10 GB left on my computers original storage, if i went over that limit would my actions i.e. downloading just over flow into the New...
  3. how to use SSD M.2?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to use SSD M.2?: Ive gotten this installed onto my mother board already, formatted it, and confirmed i have 1.8 TB of extra space in a New Volume D:. Say i have 10 GB left on my computers original storage, if i went over that limit would my actions i.e. downloading just over flow into the New...
  4. how to use SSD M.2?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. ?M.2 or ssd

?M.2 or ssd: My ? board has a M-2 slot, will that act the same as a ssd. I'm looking at a Kingmax M-2 2280 B /M SATAIII 256GB. This stuff is confusing to me some times sorry for the confusion while asking my ?s. I have so much new storage in my system now all I'm trying to do is get all...
  6. 128gb M.2 SSD won’t initialise

128gb M.2 SSD won’t initialise: [IMG][IMG]Hi all, Just purchased a used Kingston 128gb M.2 SSD for my computer and when I have installed it and turned on the PC, in disk management it is showing as a 476.9GB disk where when you click properties is called “Intel Raid 0 Volume”. When i attempt to initialise...
  7. M.2 SSD's

M.2 SSD's: Does anyone here run their OS on an M.2 SSD? And if so, do you notice any difference in speed than a regular SSD? 114991
  8. Linux Host on external SSD with W10 and W7 VM's on 8GB laptop

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Linux Host on external SSD with W10 and W7 VM's on 8GB laptop: Hi there I've seen loads of posts almost flaming me for saying running a Windows VM with VMWARE workstation or player from a Linux HOST OS booted from an external SSD would have terrible performance. (I.e boot the Linux OS and from its VMware menu--> power on--> Windows...
  9. new m.2 pcie ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    new m.2 pcie ssd: I've installed the above in my pc but it doesn't show up in my bios uefi. I installed thre build in a dual boot configuration. What files do I need to leave in the old drive so as I can boot into the new drive? 54011
  10. M.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    M.2 ssd: Hello, I need some help. I hope I choose the right forum section, newbie here. I purchased a MyDigitalSSD 128GB (MDM242-SBe-128) from Amazon.com, I want to prepare this drive for use in my Dell 3050 mini PC to increase the boot drive size from 32gb to 128gb. The Dell...