Windows 10: Use only iGPU for desktop rendering

Discus and support Use only iGPU for desktop rendering in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all! Im on a laptop with an Intel iGPU and an Nvidia dGPU. In Linux, I had the option of choosing what GPU should render the desktop. Given the fact... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Meoli_NASA, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Use only iGPU for desktop rendering

Hi all!
    Im on a laptop with an Intel iGPU and an Nvidia dGPU. In Linux, I had the option of choosing what GPU should render the desktop. Given the fact that i use CUDA for programming, where for performance and benchmark purposes i cant allow anything but my code to run on the dGPU, I would like to know if Windows allows to set the desktop render GPU and where to find that option. Thank you very much!

submitted by /u/Meoli_NASA
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Meoli_NASA, Oct 31, 2020

2. Desktop Windows Manager Eating up igpu

I use a windows 10 machine. Recently, looking at task manager, windows desktop manager takes up 50 - 80 % of my igpu like almost every minute, causing everything else to lower to barely 2 fps. What can i do to solve this? This is very irritating and also
    caused me to lose a lot of games.

EdenCheung, Oct 31, 2020
  3. WinM Win User
    Multi-Monitor and iGPU and dGPU usage/load

Hello, I have trouble getting my iGPU to do work when the dGPU is set as "main display".

I have an iGPU Intel HD4000 on my 3770k CPU, I also have a dGPU Nvidia GTX690 in a Multi-Monitor setup. Connected to my GTX690 are 3 monitors, and connected to my HD4000 is a 4th accessory display.

What happens is that when I play a video using VLC on the monitor connected to the iGPU, all content is actually rendered on the dGPU, then sent over the PCIe bus to the iGPU and displayed from there. I don't want my dGPU adapter to have anything to do with
    VLC when the window is not on those monitors. I want only my iGPU adapter to do work when VLC is on that respective monitor. If I move the VLC window over to a different monitor which is powered by another display adapter, I want that adapter to take over
    the work.

Example - Playing a video on the Monitor connected to iGPU:

1. When iGPU is set as Main Display then; iGPU 17% usage, dGPU1 0%, dGPU2 0%.

2. When dGPU is set as Main Display then; iGPU 18% usage,
    dGPU1 8%, dGPU2 0%.

In the first case where the monitor connceted to the iGPU is set as main display, everything works as I want it, only the iGPU does work as it outputs the video to its monitor. But I don't want to have my iGPU as Main Display, I want the dGPU as Main.

In the second case where a monitor connceted to the GTX690 is set as the main display, dGPU1 is at 8% even though no monitor connceted to this Dispay adapter is displaying anything.... For some reason Windows10 lets the dGPU do all the work and pass the
    result to the iGPU which then displays it. I want the iGPU to do all the work.

How can I assign a different Display Adapter to a program, other then the "Main Display" (which all programs default to, regardless of which monitor they actually appear on)???

Nvidia has something called "Nvidia Optimus" but is only available for mobile devices. But this is not available for desktop. Does Win10 have something like it where I can pick which GPU a program will use?

4. Use only iGPU for desktop rendering

forcing split screen rendering on older games in a dx12 virtual window

is it possible to make use of amd/nvidia/igpu and splitscreen render on non dx12 games?

maxxxmaxxx, Oct 31, 2020
Thema:

Use only iGPU for desktop rendering

1. Use only iGPU for desktop rendering - Similar Threads - iGPU desktop rendering

2. Windows 11 Desktop Rendering problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Desktop Rendering problem: On Windows 11 since I got a new computer, with Windows 11 installed aleready, I got a problem. On my desktop, not the folder, the one with background, there are icons to access my folder like Videos, Documents, and also Desktop. These are not shortcuts because they aren't in...
  3. Windows 11 Desktop Rendering problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Desktop Rendering problem: On Windows 11 since I got a new computer, with Windows 11 installed aleready, I got a problem. On my desktop, not the folder, the one with background, there are icons to access my folder like Videos, Documents, and also Desktop. These are not shortcuts because they aren't in...
  4. Cursor lag/stuttering when using iGPU in Windows 11 possibly only under no load for...

Cursor lag/stuttering when using iGPU in Windows 11 possibly only under no load for...: Hello! I faced with an annoying bug in Windows 11: when using integrated GPU Iris Xe the mouse pointer lags/stutters in Windows 11 from time to time. By lagging/stuttering I mean the pointer moves with low or at least lower FPS than the rest of the picture: please refer to...
  5. Graphics Performance Preference shows only iGPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Graphics Performance Preference shows only iGPU: I am using Lenovo ideapad 320 AMD A9 with Radeon R5 Integrated Graphics & Radeon 530 Dedicated Graphics with windows 10 version 21H1 OS Build 19043.2251. In my Device Manager and Task Manager, it shows my both graphics card but in Graphics Performance Preference it only shows...
  6. Graphics Performance Preference shows only iGPU

Graphics Performance Preference shows only iGPU: I am using Lenovo ideapad 320 AMD A9 with Radeon R5 Integrated Graphics & Radeon 530 Dedicated Graphics with windows 10 version 21H1 OS Build 19043.2251. In my Device Manager and Task Manager, it shows my both graphics card but in Graphics Performance Preference it only shows...
  7. igpu disappears

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    igpu disappears: Has anyone had their igpu disappear when using a dedicated graphics card submitted by /u/dgre6133 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mf210t/igpu_disappears/
  8. Igpu

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Igpu: I wonder if my system has built in GPU since my mainboard has hdmi and dvi ports ? I can't find any infos or driver for it. 176487
  9. Laptop is using igpu instead of dedicated graphics

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop is using igpu instead of dedicated graphics: my laptop has an ipgu and a dedicated one but it's using the integrated graphics, it switches to the dedicated gpu when under high load but I want it to always use the dedicated gpu and never the igpu. How can I do this? submitted by /u/ThisDoesNotHelp [link] [comments]...
  10. Desktop Windows Manager Eating up igpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Windows Manager Eating up igpu: I use a windows 10 machine. Recently, looking at task manager, windows desktop manager takes up 50 - 80 % of my igpu like almost every minute, causing everything else to lower to barely 2 fps. What can i do to solve this? This is very irritating and also caused me to lose a...