Windows 10: Use PrintScreen Hotkey from keyboard to open Snipping Tool

Discus and support Use PrintScreen Hotkey from keyboard to open Snipping Tool in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Most keyboards with hotkeys have a hotkey for Print Screen. Even the standard laptop keyboard has it. This is Lenovo ThinkPad T470p. I understand... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Villasmil, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Villasmil Win User

Use PrintScreen Hotkey from keyboard to open Snipping Tool

Most keyboards with hotkeys have a hotkey for Print Screen. Even the standard laptop keyboard has it. This is Lenovo ThinkPad T470p.

I understand that the standard Print Screen application in Windows 10 is the Snipping Tool.

What I don't understand is why that key, or any of its variants with Ctrl Shift or Alt, doesn't open the application.

In addition I can't find how to set it up to do that.

Thank you for your help.

:)

Villasmil, Oct 11, 2018

2. Windows 10: disable hotkeys for Snipping Tool?

The Windows 10 Snipping Tool has reserved some keyboard shortcuts. I wish to use them with another program.

Is there a way to release these? Or else disable the Snipping Tool completely?

The tool I wish to use instead is Greenshot, which I've been using for years in Windows (XP, 7, 8, 8.1). Here is the message Greenshot displays on install:

---------------------------

Warning

The hotkey(s) "PrintScreen, Alt + PrintScreen, Ctrl + PrintScreen" could not be registered. This problem is probably caused by another tool claiming usage of the same hotkey(s)! You could either change your hotkey settings or deactivate/change the software
    making use of the hotkey(s).
    All Greenshot features still work directly from the tray icon context menu without hotkeys.

Abort Retry Ignore

I found the registry entries, but I'm not sure what to edit to disable the Snipping Tool.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\TabletPC\Snipping Tool

EricChadwickOutAct, Oct 11, 2018
  3. PrintScreen & Snipping tool are not working

Neither my PrintScreen or my Snipping tool are working. When I use the Snipping Tool I get a black screen. Whenever I use the PrintScreen and paste into Paint I get a black screen. I'm on Win10 and fully up to date.

Marlene5889, Oct 11, 2018
  4. Use PrintScreen Hotkey from keyboard to open Snipping Tool

snipping tool

Your post is unclear. Please post a step-by-step description of what you are doing, e.g. like so:

• Open the snipping tool
    • Click "New"
    • etc.

Frederik Long, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

Use PrintScreen Hotkey from keyboard to open Snipping Tool

1. Use PrintScreen Hotkey from keyboard to open Snipping Tool - Similar Threads - PrintScreen Hotkey keyboard

2. Could snipping tool support recording with hotkey?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could snipping tool support recording with hotkey?: Hello everyone,The snipping tool support takes screenshot with win+****+s. But I can't find any hotkey to record screen win+****+r shows the same screenshot UI as win+shift+s.Will snipping tool support recording with hotkey and even custom hotkey?...
  3. Could snipping tool support recording with hotkey?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Could snipping tool support recording with hotkey?: Hello everyone,The snipping tool support takes screenshot with win+****+s. But I can't find any hotkey to record screen win+****+r shows the same screenshot UI as win+shift+s.Will snipping tool support recording with hotkey and even custom hotkey?...
  4. Snipping Tool no option to "Open With"

Snipping Tool no option to "Open With": I was recently working with a user and they reported their snipping tool no longer has the "open with" function which would allow him to open from the snipping tool directly to paint without having to take extra steps. When checking mine I noticed I also don't have this...
  5. PrintScreen Snippet tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PrintScreen Snippet tool: Windows 11 - Until a few days ago my PrintScreen button key was saving screenshots to a folder I specified by simply pressing key. Suddenly when I try I have a Snippet Tool come up. The Snippet Tool doesn't work. Can anyone help me?...
  6. PrintScreen Snippet tool

PrintScreen Snippet tool: Windows 11 - Until a few days ago my PrintScreen button key was saving screenshots to a folder I specified by simply pressing key. Suddenly when I try I have a Snippet Tool come up. The Snippet Tool doesn't work. Can anyone help me?...
  7. Snipping tool not opening automatically after snip

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snipping tool not opening automatically after snip: I used to have Windows 10 and after I snipped something, the box would automatically pop up on my screen with what I snipped. Now I have Windows 11 and after I snip something, its there but I have to go to the taskbar and click on it to open it and see my snipped item. Is...
  8. Disable snipping tool or reassign printscreen button

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable snipping tool or reassign printscreen button: How do I either disable the snipping tool or reassign the printscreen button so that I can use it for an application that is actually useful? I just got a new machine running windows 10 home....
  9. Opening Win10 Apps Using Keyboard Hotkeys

Opening Win10 Apps Using Keyboard Hotkeys: I'm trying to find my Windows Apps and open them using my keyboard's hotkeys. I came here instead of the Logitech forums since my question is more about file paths. I'm using a Logitech K350 keyboard, and I'm trying to get a hotkey to open the Windows 10 Spotify app. Under...
  10. "PrintScreen" button captures the old data from Snipping Tool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "PrintScreen" button captures the old data from Snipping Tool: I want to capture some data displayed on the screen. Usually, I would do this by just hitting "PrintScreen" button and then pasting the capture to Paint. But for some reason, it does not work - when I paste the output, I see the old stuff that I previously captured with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. snipping tool keyboard shortcut in my keyboard lenovo thinkpad

2. autohotkey open snipping tool prtscn

3. use the print screen key to open screen snip

4. what is the keyboard como for opening snipping tool,
  5. print screen key to open sniping tool,
  6. use print screen key to open snipping tool,
  7. snipping tool open when pressing printscreen keyboard,
  8. open snipping tool with print screen key