Windows 10: Use PrintScreen Hotkey from keyboard to open Snipping Tool

Discus and support Use PrintScreen Hotkey from keyboard to open Snipping Tool in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Most keyboards with hotkeys have a hotkey for Print Screen. Even the standard laptop keyboard has it. This is Lenovo ThinkPad T470p. I understand... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Villasmil, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Villasmil Win User

Use PrintScreen Hotkey from keyboard to open Snipping Tool

Most keyboards with hotkeys have a hotkey for Print Screen. Even the standard laptop keyboard has it. This is Lenovo ThinkPad T470p.

I understand that the standard Print Screen application in Windows 10 is the Snipping Tool.

What I don't understand is why that key, or any of its variants with Ctrl Shift or Alt, doesn't open the application.

In addition I can't find how to set it up to do that.

Thank you for your help.

:)

Villasmil, Oct 11, 2018
  2. EricChadwickOutAct Win User

Windows 10: disable hotkeys for Snipping Tool?

The Windows 10 Snipping Tool has reserved some keyboard shortcuts. I wish to use them with another program.

Is there a way to release these? Or else disable the Snipping Tool completely?

The tool I wish to use instead is Greenshot, which I've been using for years in Windows (XP, 7, 8, 8.1). Here is the message Greenshot displays on install:

---------------------------

Warning

The hotkey(s) "PrintScreen, Alt + PrintScreen, Ctrl + PrintScreen" could not be registered. This problem is probably caused by another tool claiming usage of the same hotkey(s)! You could either change your hotkey settings or deactivate/change the software
    making use of the hotkey(s).
    All Greenshot features still work directly from the tray icon context menu without hotkeys.

Abort Retry Ignore

I found the registry entries, but I'm not sure what to edit to disable the Snipping Tool.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\TabletPC\Snipping Tool

EricChadwickOutAct, Oct 11, 2018
  3. Marlene5889 Win User
    PrintScreen & Snipping tool are not working

Neither my PrintScreen or my Snipping tool are working. When I use the Snipping Tool I get a black screen. Whenever I use the PrintScreen and paste into Paint I get a black screen. I'm on Win10 and fully up to date.

Marlene5889, Oct 11, 2018
  4. Frederik Long Win User

snipping tool

Your post is unclear. Please post a step-by-step description of what you are doing, e.g. like so:

• Open the snipping tool
    • Click "New"
    • etc.

Frederik Long, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Use PrintScreen Hotkey from keyboard to open Snipping Tool - Similar Threads - PrintScreen Hotkey keyboard

2. Snipping Tool

in Windows 10 Customization
    Snipping Tool: When trying to use snipping tool entire screen goes gray and won't show what I want to snip. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snipping-tool/33270c10-2574-4da3-a418-fc84abc2c5c9
  3. Snipping Tool

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Snipping Tool: Can someone be hacking my every move with this tool? Is this something dealing with Cortana? Why is it when I go to sites on Microsoft edge or google that every time I go to scroll up or down the pages keep disappearing to the right or left of the computer screen and I...
  4. Snipping Tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Snipping Tool: I understand that MS are going to drop the snipping tool. I really like it and use it a lot. Is there any way to save the app to re-install when they remove it? Thank You 117902
  5. snipping tool

snipping tool: Hi,if there a program like snipping tool that I can use on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/snipping-tool/dd49de1e-18ec-4f5b-adb0-e72f22c31caa
  6. Snipping Tool

Snipping Tool: When I click Snipping Tool/New, the screen greys out. Restarting the computer momentarily solves the problem, and after a few snips, the screen again greys out. Help!...
  7. snipping tool

snipping tool: I have windows ver 1803 but do not have the snipping tool on this computer (acer swift 64 bit windows 10 ) Where or how can I download it Regards John Filmer...
  8. Snipping Tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Snipping Tool: The snipping tool has disappeared from my Windows 10 and I can't find a way to restore it. Is there a download available to get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/snipping-tool/45028345-878e-4a2a-a04f-0b7313fc8925
  9. Cannot use snipping tool

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot use snipping tool: HI all : I click on the snipping tool that I have pinned to my task bar , It opens on the 4 th monitor , in a small box . I can't click new . see the picture . thanks . I would really like to have this feature back ... [img] 111445
  10. Snipping Tool

Snipping Tool: How do you get Snipping Tool back on? I can't seem to find it when I search for it in the Search Tool 78643