Windows 10: Use Smart card in Linux VMs

Discus and support Use Smart card in Linux VMs in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I've recently enabled hyper-v on my Windows 10 pro system that's updated (June 2019). I've seen that enhanced session mode is available for both... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DoubtingPlace59, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Use Smart card in Linux VMs

Hi, I've recently enabled hyper-v on my Windows 10 pro system that's updated (June 2019). I've seen that enhanced session mode is available for both the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and the Ubuntu 19.04 templates from the "quick create" menu. This has the ability to access local resources from the VM when connected using enhanced session mode. By default smartcards are selected for passthrough to the Linux VMs.

My problem is that my smartcard isn't accessable by the VM. Previously I have used smartcard sharing on VMware workstation (I'm aware that full USB passthrough to a Linux VM isn't available in hyper-v), however my usual methods of using the SC for SSH authentication - for VMware VMs and on baremetal machines - doesn't detect the card/device at all. This is either the gnupg-agent method or the PKCS11 method for public key authentication.

My SC can be used for SSH authentication on the win10 host using putty, but I really need to use it in a Linux environment.

So far my searches haven't yielded any informention on this. The last time I tested hyper-v, enhanced session mode wasn't available for Linux VMs, even if they were created from an offical template in the quick create menu. Has anyone got this working? Or could you point me in the right direction for relavent documentation?

Thanks in advance.

(This could be in the wrong catagory...)

***Modified title from: Hyper-V, Windows 10 Samrtcard access in enhanced session mode***

:)

DoubtingPlace59, Jul 5, 2019
  2. Silverel Win User

Guide: How to enable, use, and configure SLI on Linux.

I guess the next logical step would be to report on the performance you can get with SLI in Linux. That'd be my suggestion anyway.

Silverel, Jul 5, 2019
  3. LydiaGG Win User
    Connect a smart card

Thank you Yasir; I read the content in the link provided; the problem I have now is not to ask for smart card when log on but to connect a smart card when update applications. Do you have a suggestion for that?

LydiaGG, Jul 5, 2019
  4. Use Smart card in Linux VMs

Windows 10 smart card login

Okay, so I wanted to set up my computer to log in via smart card as a secondary way to enter. I have a CAC and a CAC reader and I got them working. Here's the problem. I set the login via smart card enabled but it never setup a user or even registered my CAC as a login.... so now I am stuck locked out of my computer and every time I put in my pass code it says "you must use a smart card to sign in". How can I bypass this or reset my computer? This kinda erks me I jumped a coupe steps and jacked this up.

Cgriff1030, Jul 5, 2019
Thema:

Use Smart card in Linux VMs

1. Use Smart card in Linux VMs - Similar Threads - Smart card Linux

2. smart card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    smart card: I just used laplink PC Mover to transfer from one PC to a new PC. At first, everything worked fine. Then I installed a legacy scanner and had some certificate issues getting it installed Scanner is an Epson ES-500W, and since then when I open Outlook 2007 I get a pop up...
  3. smart card

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    smart card: I just used laplink PC Mover to transfer from one PC to a new PC. At first, everything worked fine. Then I installed a legacy scanner and had some certificate issues getting it installed Scanner is an Epson ES-500W, and since then when I open Outlook 2007 I get a pop up...
  4. smart card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SD Card Locked with Bitlocker Encryption using a Smart Card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SD Card Locked with Bitlocker Encryption using a Smart Card: Good Day Microsoft Team,I have an SD Card that I had to lock with a smart card. I then had to get a new smart card and I can no longer unlock the SD Card as it does not recognize my new smart card. Is there a way to get the system to recognize my new smart card? I have the...
  6. SD Card Locked with Bitlocker Encryption using a Smart Card

SD Card Locked with Bitlocker Encryption using a Smart Card: Good Day Microsoft Team,I have an SD Card that I had to lock with a smart card. I then had to get a new smart card and I can no longer unlock the SD Card as it does not recognize my new smart card. Is there a way to get the system to recognize my new smart card? I have the...
  7. Smart card issue - "The smart card cannot perform ..."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Smart card issue - "The smart card cannot perform ...": Hello, I have the same issue like addodin in this case: addodin case. I installed all drivers and I can read certificates trough vendor software, but when I want to sign in with my smart card at web browser I faced the problem with: The smart card cannot perform ..Im using...
  8. Smart card issue - "The smart card cannot perform ..."

Smart card issue - "The smart card cannot perform ...": Hello, I have the same issue like addodin in this case: addodin case. I installed all drivers and I can read certificates trough vendor software, but when I want to sign in with my smart card at web browser I faced the problem with: The smart card cannot perform ..Im using...
  9. Smart card issue - "The smart card cannot perform ..."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Smart card issue - "The smart card cannot perform ...": Hello all, sorry in advance for my English I'm French :I have an issue since I changed my computer last week. I use a French government website since 6 years who need a physical smart card with a certificat inside to run the website 1st step => the website read the smart card...
  10. Smart card issue - "The smart card cannot perform ..."

Smart card issue - "The smart card cannot perform ...": Hello all, sorry in advance for my English I'm French :I have an issue since I changed my computer last week. I use a French government website since 6 years who need a physical smart card with a certificat inside to run the website 1st step => the website read the smart card...