Windows 10: Use Smart card in Linux VMs

Discus and support Use Smart card in Linux VMs in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I've recently enabled hyper-v on my Windows 10 pro system that's updated (June 2019). I've seen that enhanced session mode is available for both... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DoubtingPlace59, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Use Smart card in Linux VMs

Hi, I've recently enabled hyper-v on my Windows 10 pro system that's updated (June 2019). I've seen that enhanced session mode is available for both the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and the Ubuntu 19.04 templates from the "quick create" menu. This has the ability to access local resources from the VM when connected using enhanced session mode. By default smartcards are selected for passthrough to the Linux VMs.

My problem is that my smartcard isn't accessable by the VM. Previously I have used smartcard sharing on VMware workstation (I'm aware that full USB passthrough to a Linux VM isn't available in hyper-v), however my usual methods of using the SC for SSH authentication - for VMware VMs and on baremetal machines - doesn't detect the card/device at all. This is either the gnupg-agent method or the PKCS11 method for public key authentication.

My SC can be used for SSH authentication on the win10 host using putty, but I really need to use it in a Linux environment.

So far my searches haven't yielded any informention on this. The last time I tested hyper-v, enhanced session mode wasn't available for Linux VMs, even if they were created from an offical template in the quick create menu. Has anyone got this working? Or could you point me in the right direction for relavent documentation?

Thanks in advance.

(This could be in the wrong catagory...)

***Modified title from: Hyper-V, Windows 10 Samrtcard access in enhanced session mode***

:)

DoubtingPlace59, Jul 5, 2019
  2. Silverel Win User

Guide: How to enable, use, and configure SLI on Linux.

I guess the next logical step would be to report on the performance you can get with SLI in Linux. That'd be my suggestion anyway.

Silverel, Jul 5, 2019
  3. LydiaGG Win User
    Connect a smart card

Thank you Yasir; I read the content in the link provided; the problem I have now is not to ask for smart card when log on but to connect a smart card when update applications. Do you have a suggestion for that?

LydiaGG, Jul 5, 2019
  4. Use Smart card in Linux VMs

Windows 10 smart card login

Okay, so I wanted to set up my computer to log in via smart card as a secondary way to enter. I have a CAC and a CAC reader and I got them working. Here's the problem. I set the login via smart card enabled but it never setup a user or even registered my CAC as a login.... so now I am stuck locked out of my computer and every time I put in my pass code it says "you must use a smart card to sign in". How can I bypass this or reset my computer? This kinda erks me I jumped a coupe steps and jacked this up.

Cgriff1030, Jul 5, 2019
Thema:

Use Smart card in Linux VMs

1. Use Smart card in Linux VMs - Similar Threads - Smart card Linux

2. Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.: Environment: WIN10 v1607 ENT N 2016 2016 / Virtual Machine - (Physical desktops with updates operate correctly) Since installing latest updates, all VM's will not read the certificates. However both objects "SCR35xx Smart Card Reader" and "Smart Card" -ARE- shown in device...
  3. About the security of Virtual Smart Cards

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    About the security of Virtual Smart Cards: Hello all, Trying to have a good overview about the security of Virtual Smart Cards relying on TPMs, I read this very short article (the only I found) covering this topic (first part):...
  4. TPM Virtual Smart Card creation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TPM Virtual Smart Card creation: Hello, I'm having an issue regarding TPM Virtual Smart Card creation. I'm using a method from Windows.Devices.SmartCards.dll, SmartCardProvisioning class, RequestVirtualSmartCardCreationAsync(String, IBuffer, SmartCardPinPolicy), and I'm continuously getting an error...
  5. Disable smart card Surface LTE

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Disable smart card Surface LTE: on the Surface LTE I have the option for smart card when logging in, and when authenticating for office 365. However I dont use the smart card and want to remove the option all together. I have done the following already:...
  6. Smart card in Windows PE (WinPE)

Smart card in Windows PE (WinPE): Hi, I need to run Windows PE on my laptop, and I need smart card compatibility for this issue. The smart card service (ScardSvr) doesn't seem to work on Windows PE... Obviously, WinPE lacks some necessary drivers/services/applications for smart-card support. So I wonder if...
  7. Windows 10 smart card login

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 smart card login: Okay, so I wanted to set up my computer to log in via smart card as a secondary way to enter. I have a CAC and a CAC reader and I got them working. Here's the problem. I set the login via smart card enabled but it never setup a user or even registered my CAC as a login.... so...
  8. Connect a Smart Card

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Connect a Smart Card: I can't make any changes on my ASUS Laptop, every time I tried "connect a smart card" appear. This is a personal computer and I didn't use any smart card. Please help to sort this out. Thanks in advance. 30636
  9. Smart Card Reader driver problem

Smart Card Reader driver problem: Hello! So, I ended up here because I didn't know what else to do. I have a problem with my Smart Card Reader(ID-Card). Windows doesn't let me install drivers for it manually, neither did it install them automatically. It all happened after updating Windows to the Anniversary...
  10. Smart Card Certificates in Win10AU

Smart Card Certificates in Win10AU: I frequently access work sites that require me to use a CAC/PIV card. Some sites require my encryption certificate but OWA requires my email certificate. Prior to Win10AU update both my certs displayed but now I have to click show more to see all my certs. It's minor but...