Windows 10: Use Storage Diagnostic Tool in Windows 10

Discus and support Use Storage Diagnostic Tool in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Use Storage Diagnostic Tool in Windows 10 How to Use Storage Diagnostic Tool in Windows 10 [img] Information CheckDisk, fsutil and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cluster Head, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Use Storage Diagnostic Tool in Windows 10

How to: Use Storage Diagnostic Tool in Windows 10

How to Use Storage Diagnostic Tool in Windows 10

Use Storage Diagnostic Tool in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information CheckDisk, fsutil and fltmc.

The tool can be helpful to use to analyze and identify storage related issues. It can be used to check the consistency of the NTFS file system and run a 30 second long Event Tracing for Windows (ETW) trace.

This tutorial will show you how to use the Storage Diagnostic tool (stordiag.exe) to collect storage and file system diagnostic logs in Windows 10.

EXAMPLE: Output from Storage Diagnostic tool (stordiag.exe)

Here's How:

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below that you would like to use into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)

Note This will output the results into a StorDiag folder on your desktop.

(StorDiag)
    *Arrow stordiag -out %UserProfile%\Desktop

(StorDiag + ETW trace)
    *Arrow stordiag -collectEtw -out %UserProfile%\Desktop

(StorDiag + check of NTFS file system)
    *Arrow stordiag -checkFSConsistency -out %UserProfile%\Desktop

FULL - (StorDiag + ETW trace + check of NTFS file system)
    *Arrow stordiag -collectEtw -checkFSConsistency -out %UserProfile%\Desktop

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cluster Head, Feb 20, 2016

2. Windows 10 Snipping Tool on Windows 7

All it is is one extra step beyond what is native to windows 10. Yes, technically it would be easier to have the functionality of print built in to the Windows 7 version, but you just have to save it ,and right click on it ,and print.

As far as getting the windows 10 version into windows7. I know there was a way to get the old winpaint, so maybe there's a way to get the snipping tool into 10, I don't know.

im curious if i could compress, and upload the application to this post? 7zip doesnt seem to be allowed

jboydgolfer, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Windows memory diagnostic tool not Working in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

We recommend that you let the Memory Diagnostics Tool run automatically. However, advanced users might want to adjust the tool's settings. Here's how:

• When the Memory Diagnostics Tool starts, press F1.
    • You can adjust the following settings:
      • Test mix. Choose what type of test you want to run: Basic, Standard, or Extended. The choices are described in the tool.
      • Cache. Choose the cache setting you want for each test: Default, On, or Off.
      • Pass count. Type the number of times you want to repeat the test.
    • Press F10 to start the test.
    If the Windows Memory Diagnostics tool doesn't run automatically, you can run it manually.

• Open Memory Diagnostics Tool by going to Control Panel. In the search box, type Memory, and then click Diagnose your computer's memory problems.

• If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • Choose when to run the tool.

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Use Storage Diagnostic Tool in Windows 10

Windows memory diagnostic tool not Working in Windows 10

Hi,

I understand that you are facing issues when you are trying to reset the computer. I will certainly assist you.

This issue might have occurred when the boot files are missing or corrupted.

I suggest you re-built the boot record by following the below commands and check if it helps.

You will have to use Windows 10 installation media to follow the steps to boot into Recovery Environment and try to rebuild BCD.

Step 1: I suggest you to create an installation media for
    Windows 10 using the media creation tool:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Step 2: After preparing the installation media, insert it hard reboot the device and follow the below:

• Boot into Windows Recovery Environment using the Windows 10 installation media.
    • Click on Repair your computer.
    • Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options.
    • Select Command Prompt. Type the following commands into the prompt and press Enter key after each command.
      • bootrec /fixmbr
      • bootrec /fixboot
      • bootrec /scanos
      • bootrec /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the computer.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft
    cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Anup Karkal, Oct 26, 2019
  5. jemcd Win User

This is a totally useless reply from someone who did not read the original complaint.

jemcd, Oct 26, 2019
  6. bar9 Win User

Thanks, Jenith. The problem is that: when I attempt to run Memory Diagnostics Tool manually per your instructions:

• Open Memory Diagnostics Tool by going to Control Panel. In the search box, type Memory, and then click Diagnose your computer's memory problems. 
    • If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • Choose when to run the tool.
    When I choose when to run the tool (i.e., for instance, chosing 'restart now and check for problems'), and then shut the computer down, when it comes back up, I get a black screen (as I described in original post), and it appears that Memory Diagnostics
    Tool does not run at all. I wait and wait for minutes ... hours, and screen remains black, with Memory Diagnostics Tool not appearing to be running. I then turn the computer off, and then back on and it boots up normally to Windows 10 without running the Memory
    Diagnostics Tool. Whatever my approach, it seems that Memory Diagnostics Tool will not run.

The Memory Diagnostics Tool has not otherwise run automatically on its own.

Thema:

Use Storage Diagnostic Tool in Windows 10

1. Use Storage Diagnostic Tool in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Storage Diagnostic Tool

2. Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool: Windows 11 22H2 22621.2215Has anyone else had problems trying to use Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool as of late?Killing time this morning I decided to run the tool as an administrator. Computer would reboot and take me to the Diagnostic Tool startup page. Upon pressing F1 to...
  3. Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool: Windows 11 22H2 22621.2215Has anyone else had problems trying to use Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool as of late?Killing time this morning I decided to run the tool as an administrator. Computer would reboot and take me to the Diagnostic Tool startup page. Upon pressing F1 to...
  4. Windows memory diagnostics tool

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows memory diagnostics tool: When ran windows memory diagnostics tools it's staring again and again doesn't restart when test complete it start again and doesn't exist https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-memory-diagnostics-tool/c3fdcc21-5738-419e-af55-1559edf9ecdb
  5. Windows memory diagnostic tool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows memory diagnostic tool: I recently built a new pc a little under a month ago and I’ve been playing lots of games and I’ve been crashing/blue screening for games that are a bit more demanding such as R6,COD CW, Valorant and warzone. I have all my drivers updated and I heard that my ram can be the...
  6. windows memory diagnostic tool

windows memory diagnostic tool: Hi , my computer has performance issues i've tried to use this tool to check if my ram works properly after my computer restarts shows a black screen and nothing happens i did a format in windows and i have the same problem i have also change the ram but again nothing ! i...
  7. Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool: Hello, I started the above tool now it is just looping for the last 3 days. I dont have any installation media as I wasnt given any when I b9ought this PC, I think there may be a partition I can reinstall from. I d0ont want to reinstall I just want this awful piece of...
  8. Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool: Does this tool ONLY and i mean ONLY show hardware issues with RAM and not a storage device. I am 99% sure an issue i am having with my computer is caused by faulty RAM. I have been quite often been getting a BSOD with a memory management error code. That code seems to point...
  9. Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool

Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool: I had some hard crashes during a game recently, serious enough that I had to Reset Windows. (The system just would not boot after the crash.) As a result, I wanted to check for hardware failure, so I'm running the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. I wanted a comprehensive...
  10. Diagnostics or Tools on Windows 10

Diagnostics or Tools on Windows 10: I know windows 10 comes with some “tools” that can test or repair some errors on the computer. Could anybody please tell me what tools or Diagnostics are they and how can I find them?...