Windows 10: Use the power button to turn off the computer at Welcome screen

Discus and support Use the power button to turn off the computer at Welcome screen in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; How do I configure my computer so that if I push the power button when the computer is on the Welcome screen but nobody has logged in, the computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SlickRCBD, Oct 15, 2019.

1. SlickRCBD Win User

Use the power button to turn off the computer at Welcome screen

How do I configure my computer so that if I push the power button when the computer is on the Welcome screen but nobody has logged in, the computer will shut down?

If I am logged in, pressing the power button will shut down the computer, but not if nobody has logged into the computer at the console (immediate mode user) since it was last booted. Occasionally I just access the file shares with other computers or log in remotely, then don't notice the computer is turned on until after I shut everything else off. On all my other Windows computers since Windows 98 all I had to do was hit the power button.

The settings in power options in both my regular account and administrator account look like this, although I don't know why "sleep button action" is available since I can't locate one on the hardware. The power button does NOT put the computer to sleep on the Welcome screen, instead NOTHING happens.

Use the power button to turn off the computer at Welcome screen 7dd2432b-1126-4487-9aca-e6c76bb76392?upload=true.jpg

So how do I make the computer shut down when I press the power button on Windows 10 without logging in?

:)

SlickRCBD, Oct 15, 2019

2. When I press the power button sleep, hibernated, or power down don't work my screen goes off but not my pc

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

To assist you better, I would like to know when exactly you had received this error. Are you able to boot the computer?

The following steps detail how to change what happens when the power button is pressed.

By default the power button will tell the computer to shut down, if it is not set to shut down, please follow the below steps.

• In the Windows search box enter ‘Power Options’ and click on it when it appears in the list.
    • On the left of the window, click on the ‘Choose what power buttons do’ link
    • Under ‘When I press the power button’ choose the option you want to change it to
      Shut Down.
    • Click ‘Save changes’ to save the changes.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to run Power troubleshooter:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Power.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

6. Check if issue persists.

After performing the power troubleshooter, please perform the steps that has been provided above.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Oct 15, 2019
  3. turning off the display option for power button

Hi Caro,

The function to turn off the display on your device only affects the monitor but the rest of the programs still run in the background. On the other hand, sleep mode turns off any unused programs to save energy. To change the power option on your device,
    follow the steps below:

• Type Control Panel in the search box and press Enter.
    • Select Hardware and Sound.
    • Select Power Options.
    • Select Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Under Power and sleep button settings, click the drop-down arrow for
      When I press the power button: option and select Turn off the display.
    • Click Save changes.

Once you're done, check if the music still plays after clicking the power button.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Darwin Dim, Oct 15, 2019
  4. Use the power button to turn off the computer at Welcome screen

Computer not booting to desktop, stuck at Restarting screen

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting in Community.

The issue might occur if the system is not Shut down properly. As you have already tried restarting the system several times, I suggest you to perform a Power Drain by following the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Turn Off the computer and remove the power cable.
    • Long press the Power button for 15-20 seconds.
    • Plug in the power cable and switch on the computer.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 15, 2019
Thema:

Use the power button to turn off the computer at Welcome screen

1. Use the power button to turn off the computer at Welcome screen - Similar Threads - power button turn

2. Use the power button to turn off the computer at lock screen Windows + L key

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Use the power button to turn off the computer at lock screen Windows + L key: When I leave my computer during the day I just press Win+L to lock it and at night I just want to press the physical power button to turn it off But Windows won't let me Everything like sleeping and hibernating works fine Windows 11 does this on purpose, it is NOT a driver...
  3. Use the power button to turn off the computer at lock screen Windows + L key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use the power button to turn off the computer at lock screen Windows + L key: When I leave my computer during the day I just press Win+L to lock it and at night I just want to press the physical power button to turn it off But Windows won't let me Everything like sleeping and hibernating works fine Windows 11 does this on purpose, it is NOT a driver...
  4. Use the power button to turn off the computer at lock screen Windows + L key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Use the power button to turn off the computer at lock screen Windows + L key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use the power button to turn off the computer at lock screen Windows + L key: If I log into the computer and lock the computer with the Windows + L key combination, the power button will not turn off the computer. With one clickI want a way to turn off the computer when pressing the power button?Video explaining my same...
  6. Use the power button to turn off the computer at lock screen Windows + L key

Use the power button to turn off the computer at lock screen Windows + L key: If I log into the computer and lock the computer with the Windows + L key combination, the power button will not turn off the computer. With one clickI want a way to turn off the computer when pressing the power button?Video explaining my same...
  7. Use the power button to turn off the computer at lock screen Windows + L key

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Use the power button to turn off the computer at lock screen Windows + L key

9. Use the power button to turn off the computer at lock screen Windows + L key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use the power button to turn off the computer at lock screen Windows + L key: If I log into the computer and lock the computer with the Windows + L key combination, the power button will not turn off the computer. With one click I want a way to turn off the computer when pressing the power button?...
  10. Use the power button to turn off the computer at lock screen Windows + L key

Use the power button to turn off the computer at lock screen Windows + L key: If I log into the computer and lock the computer with the Windows + L key combination, the power button will not turn off the computer. With one click I want a way to turn off the computer when pressing the power button?...