Windows 10: Use the Windows Task Manager to find power leeching processes quickly

Discus and support Use the Windows Task Manager to find power leeching processes quickly in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Sometimes, when you are using a mobile Windows device, e.g. a laptop or notebook running Windows 10, you may notice that the device's battery power is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 4, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Use the Windows Task Manager to find power leeching processes quickly

Sometimes, when you are using a mobile Windows device, e.g. a laptop or notebook running Windows 10, you may notice that the device's battery power is consumed rather quickly. Sometimes, this can be linked to the use of a particular service or application, such as streaming video, a computer game, or other activity that is very taxing. At other times, power may go down quickly without you really knowing why.

While you can create power efficiency reports on Windows to diagnose power consumption, it is sometimes easier to use the Windows Task Manger for a quick diagnosis. Most experienced users may know about this, but some users may not.

Use the Windows Task Manager to find power leeching processes quickly task-manager-power-usage.png

All you need to do is the following:

1. Use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open the Task Manager.
    2. If you have not already, click on "more details" to display the full task manager window.
    3. Under Processes, check the Power Usage and Power Usage Trend columns. A click on one of the headers sorts the column to display the lowest or highest power using processes.

Many Windows users may not see these columns right away. They are displayed by default but not visible if the task manager window is not wide enough. Either increase the width of the window or reduce the column width of the visible columns to display it. You may also right-click and uncheck some columns that you are not interested in. If the two power columns are not displayed, use the right-click menu and select them to display them.

The difference between Power Usage and Power Usage Trend is that the former provides a view of the current power consumption while trend a view over time.

Anything that is listed as high or very high is consuming a lot of power. Just check the process names to find out which application or service is using the power. It is easy if the process points to a single-purpose application, e.g. a computer game, but not so easy if you get a web browser instead. If the latter is the case, you may need to check the activity in the web browser to determine which site or service is causing the power usage.

Closing Words

A quick look using the task manager may sometimes be enough to identify a power hungry program or service. While that is often clear, e.g. when running a computer game, it may sometimes not be clear right away, or you may spot a program that you did not have on your list at all.

Now You: do you check the power consumption of programs on your devices?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Use the Windows Task Manager to find power leeching processes quickly appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 4, 2021

2. Task Manager

Hi Marjorie,

Task Manager can be used to view and manage your processes, performance statistics, app history, users, processes details, and services in Windows 10.
    To access the Task Manager directly in Windows 10, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC. This is the Task Manager shortcut in Windows 10.

Furthermore, to change your default browser, we suggest that you follow the steps from this article:

Change your default browser in Windows 10

Feel free to post back should you have further concerns.

Melowin Mar, Apr 4, 2021
  3. LeonLaude Win User
    Task manager is blank in processes tab

Hi,

To troubleshoot the issue with your Task Manager, I suggest you to run the
    System File Checker
    to check if there's a broken Windows component in your PC.

To run System File Checker, please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + X keys.
    • Click on Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Copy and paste the command below:

SFC /scannow
    • Hit Enter to execute the command. It may take a few minutes to complete.

If you find Verification 100% complete, click X to close the Command Prompt.
    • Reboot the PC for the changes to take effect.

Kind regards,

Leon

LeonLaude, Apr 4, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Task manager not showing any process!

In Task Manager, if you click View - Refresh Now, does the list of processes update?

If so, check View - Update Speed, is it set to normal?

DaveM121, Apr 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Use the Windows Task Manager to find power leeching processes quickly - Similar Threads - Task Manager find

2. "Task Manager" processes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Task Manager" processes: More of a question of curiosity than an issue ATM. I hope I chose the correct place to post.A few details before I proceed, if needed. I have a Dell Optiplex 3130 that came with Windows 7 Pro, I've upgraded to windows 10 Pro. All updates are current as of two or three days...
  3. "Task Manager" processes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Task Manager" processes: More of a question of curiosity than an issue ATM. I hope I chose the correct place to post.A few details before I proceed, if needed. I have a Dell Optiplex 3130 that came with Windows 7 Pro, I've upgraded to windows 10 Pro. All updates are current as of two or three days...
  4. Task Manager Processes

Task Manager Processes: I was cleaning up processed in Task Manager and must have deleted something I shouldn't have. The appearance of the text in emails and web pages don't look as good. They don't look as crisp and the lines aren't all solid. I'm not sure what to do?...
  5. task manager processes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    task manager processes: I was going through my task manager and suddenly I saw a process which had Microsoft icon four coloured boxes .it suddenly disappeared. I want to know that which process was that because I have never seen it before....
  6. task manager processes

task manager processes: I was going through my task manager and suddenly I saw a process which had Microsoft icon four coloured boxes .it suddenly disappeared. I want to know that which process was that because I have never seen it before....
  7. Processes / Task Manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Processes / Task Manager: i have approximately 150-170 processes in task manager every time i open my laptop, is this normal or not ? and my laptop often get hot when i do simpel task like browsing is there any setting that microsoft can do to reduce the processes in task manager? [ATTACH]...
  8. CAN'T FIND PROCESS IDENTIFIER IN TASK MANAGER.

CAN'T FIND PROCESS IDENTIFIER IN TASK MANAGER.: I have a problem that the pid code showing in my command prompt is not showing on the task manager. I wanna ask you is this normal or is there any thing wrong is going behind. Is my desktop hacked?...
  9. Task manager how to find main process?

Task manager how to find main process?: In windows 7 in Task Manager If I have chrome and IE, there are many chrome.exe and iesplore.exe processes, however if I right click on any Chrome entry in Application and Go To Process it takes me to the main chrome process, meaning I kill it I kill all of Chrome. Same for...
  10. View Power Usage of Processes in Task Manager in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    View Power Usage of Processes in Task Manager in Windows 10: How to: View Power Usage of Processes in Task Manager in Windows 10 How to View Power Usage of Processes in Task Manager in Windows 10 Task Manager can be used to view and manage your processes, performance statistics, app history, users, processes details, and services...