Windows 10: used computer, confused permissions

Discus and support used computer, confused permissions in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; To much of my dismay, I have found that the windows.old file was from the last person who had this computer. After having this problem and following... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by EmmerDoodle, Mar 4, 2022.

1. used computer, confused permissions

To much of my dismay, I have found that the windows.old file was from the last person who had this computer. After having this problem and following these instructions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-you-required-permission-from-system-to-make/5c16c17f-63b3-48bc-be2b-ea97c337cdb6 It hadn't worked so I tried advance and change the ownership of the file to me. It starts preparing after I provide administrator permission after I was asked to. However while it starts recyling, It says I need permission. Can someone help me?

:)

EmmerDoodle, Mar 4, 2022

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Mar 4, 2022
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Network permission using Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the efforts taken by you in resolving the issue. I understand that you receive an error, ‘you do not have permission’ when trying to access files on the network. I’ll certainly help you with this.

However, please let us know:

• What is the complete error message that you receive?
    • Which build version of Windows installed on the computer? To check type:
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit
      Enter.

I would suggest you to try accessing the computer using the IP address and check if you are able to access it. Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type \\IPAddress (ex: 192.168.x.x) and check if you are able to access the drive.

I would suggest you to try enabling NetBios on the computers and check. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows Logo key + R, to open the
      Run dialog box.
    2. Type ncpa.cpl and click on
      OK
    3. Right click on the network connection that you are using and select
      Properties.
    4. Double click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
    5. Under General tab, click on
      Advanced
    6. Click on WINS tab.
    7. Select Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
    8. Click on OK on all the windows.

Also, try restarting the Function Discovery Provider Host service on all the machines.

For more information, refer the suggestions provided by Roohi_Taj replied on November 28, 2018 in the thread
    You do not have permission to access \\PC_NAME contact your network administrator
    to request access

If the computers are connected to a domain network, we do have a dedicated forum for issues concerning to Domain connected computers, let me point you in the right direction. I would suggest you to post your query in

TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals with expertise on Domain computers and they will be able to provide you the appropriate insights.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 4, 2022
  4. used computer, confused permissions

Windows 10 Permissions Issues

Hooray!!!! Thanks so much, you are a superstar. Issue resolved.

I thought the fact that "Administrators" were listed in the permissions meant that all Admins had access, but apparently not. Now I added my specific login account, it works fine.

Thanks so much for your help, these UAC things in Windows are quite confusing, I am not (entirely) stupid!!

glastolover, Mar 4, 2022
Thema:

used computer, confused permissions

1. used computer, confused permissions - Similar Threads - used computer confused

2. user accounts confusion and permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    user accounts confusion and permissions: hi. though i am quite a seasoned windows pc user, i have thus far not had experience with additional user accounts. i have recently migrated to a new pc with the help of pc mover software. what i did not realize is that i had created an extra user account and that perhaps the...
  3. user accounts confusion and permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    user accounts confusion and permissions: hi. though i am quite a seasoned windows pc user, i have thus far not had experience with additional user accounts. i have recently migrated to a new pc with the help of pc mover software. what i did not realize is that i had created an extra user account and that perhaps the...
  4. NTFS Permission Confuse me

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NTFS Permission Confuse me: Full control: ModifyRead & execute: List folder contents:Read: Write: The write and read permission within the NFTS permission confuses me can you explain or simplify these permission in regards to a file and and folder please...
  5. NTFS Permission Confuse me

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS Permission Confuse me: Full control: ModifyRead & execute: List folder contents:Read: Write: The write and read permission within the NFTS permission confuses me can you explain or simplify these permission in regards to a file and and folder please...
  6. NTFS Permission Confuse me

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. used computer, confused permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    used computer, confused permissions: To much of my dismay, I have found that the windows.old file was from the last person who had this computer. After having this problem and following these instructions...
  8. used computer, confused permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    used computer, confused permissions: To much of my dismay, I have found that the windows.old file was from the last person who had this computer. After having this problem and following these instructions...
  9. Permissions and a confusing question for me!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Permissions and a confusing question for me!: Hi I am stuck on a question on permissions and thought someone out there could spell it out for me? I can’t see why theanswer to the one below isn’t Read? Aren’t the permissions cumulativeand the MOST restrictive apply? That would be READ? [ATTACH] I hope you can...
  10. NTFS Permissions Confusion

in Windows 10 Support
    NTFS Permissions Confusion: I clearly do not understand NTFS permissions. Can someone please help eliminate my confusion. When I am signed in to RAVEN\Clayton (local, standard account) and I check Properties->Security on D:\Users\Clayton\Utilities, I find: [img] To me this indicates that...