Windows 10: Used hard disk in another laptop?

Discus and support Used hard disk in another laptop? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Howdy, my brother got a pc for his birthday a few days ago to replace his laptop Since the present was from my other brother, he thought that he has a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tina0303, Jun 9, 2020.

1. tina0303 Win User

Used hard disk in another laptop?

Howdy,
    my brother got a pc for his birthday a few days ago to replace his laptop Since the present was from my other brother, he thought that he has a hard disk in his laptop and therefore doesn't have to buy a new one. So he just put the hard disk of his laptop into the PC. Now I got his laptop without a hard disk and by chance I have an old hard disk from my old laptop lying around which I built into this laptop.
    Now it's like this: The laptop is from Acer and my old hard disk was in a Sony Vaio model. When I switch on the Acer laptop with the hard drive from the Sony laptop, not only all my data is on it, but also problems I had on my old laptop. For example, the WLAN doesn't work and there are other things that just don't fit on my hard drive.

Q: What can I do to make the hard drive "adapt" to the Acer laptop without deleting Windows?
    I don't have a Win installation CD or a USB stick large enough for the Win 10 installation media.

What possibilities do I have and what are the consequences?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

:)

tina0303, Jun 9, 2020

2. Laptop hard drive upgrade

To replace a hard drive on a laptop is a little more troublesome than a desktop. 1st as most people here suggest you will need some sort of a backup disk just in case. Also be sure when buying the new Hard Disk is compatible with your model. And i would strongly suggest you install a new system and start from scratch because there are far too many problems that can occur when transferring system files.

scoutingwraith, Jun 9, 2020
  3. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jun 9, 2020
  4. Naresh_K Win User

Hard disk partition not showing up.

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

This can happen if the Hard-disk drivers are not up-to date. I would suggest you to update the hard disk drivers first. To update the drivers, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open Device manager.
    2. Then Expand “Disk drives”.
    3. Then Right click on the Hard-disk listed under this category.
    4. Then click on Update drivers.
    5. Alternatively you can also try to update the drivers from manufacturer’s website.

Once the hard-disk drivers are updated, you will need to allocate the last partition (it is not allocated according to the screenshot) and you will be able to view the partition.

Also note that sometimes the hard disk partitions/drives might be hidden in This PC or My Computer window due to a Registry key. If a DWORD with the name NoViewOnDrive or NoDrives is present under following key in Registry Editor:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Explorer

Delete the DWORD and your drives will become visible in My Computer window.

Hope this helps.

Naresh_K, Jun 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Used hard disk in another laptop? - Similar Threads - Used hard disk

2. Laptop with hard disk noise

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop with hard disk noise: I have a 4 year old Dell laptop. My hard disk never used to do much noise. Now my hard disk makes frequent noise. What could be the problem?I hope I my laptop will be alive until I can buy a new laptop...
  3. Laptop with hard disk noise

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop with hard disk noise: I have a 4 year old Dell laptop. My hard disk never used to do much noise. Now my hard disk makes frequent noise. What could be the problem?I hope I my laptop will be alive until I can buy a new laptop...
  4. Change of hard disk on laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Change of hard disk on laptop: i want to upgrade my hard drive by replacing current one, how can i transfer windows licenses to new hard drive in a same laptop, i bought laptop in2012 with windows 7, later i bought from local store an upgrade to windows 10 pro....
  5. File transferring to another hard disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File transferring to another hard disk: So I was downloading a game from the Epic Games store and I wouldnt let me download because the disk it was in didnt have enough space. I need help because I dont know how to transfer it because its like embedded there. I also accidentally deleted a hard disk, but it didnt...
  6. C drive shortcut created on another hard disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive shortcut created on another hard disk: Hi From yesterday i noticed that a C drive Primary disk drive shortcut is automatically created on my D drive where i stored my album and video files.On openning i saw same contents as original C drive.What is this? Can i delete it? i ran a virus scan with kaspersky and it...
  7. Can i add a used laptop hard drive in another laptop with no hard drive. Will it still boot?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can i add a used laptop hard drive in another laptop with no hard drive. Will it still boot?: I have 2 laptops. One is for gaming and other is work. A few weeks ago my gaming laptop fell and the hard drive broke. So can i put my work laptops hard drive in my gaming laptops slot as my gaming laptop has only one hdd slot. Will it boot?...
  8. Can I backup my laptop disk image and use it on another laptop?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I backup my laptop disk image and use it on another laptop?: Both computers have the latest version of Windows 10 Home Edition installed. A unique pursuit to be sure, but here's why I ask. My neighbor had to replace her bad hard drive. I used a flash drive with Windows 10 to get it up and running again. Unfortunately, she had not...
  9. Hard Disk Corrupted - need to install windows in another hard disk

Hard Disk Corrupted - need to install windows in another hard disk: Dear Sir My hard disk is corrupted. How will I install windows in another hard disk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-corrupted-need-to-install-windows-in/87253f42-3d08-4508-9f58-b1e9fc928311
  10. Adding another hard disk

Adding another hard disk: Hello, Planning to remove a hard disk from my old computer and install it as third disk in the new computer for data only. It has on it the crippled windows 10. Before using it I have to wipe it clean (partition, format), but first when I turn on the computer, will it affect...