Windows 10: used Spro1 - usb drives only work when in a usb hub?

Discus and support used Spro1 - usb drives only work when in a usb hub? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i received the surface pro 1 today, but there is a strange problem with it. USB drives are not recognised when directly connected to spro1 like they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ksdixon, Mar 8, 2017.

1. ksdixon Win User

used Spro1 - usb drives only work when in a usb hub?

i received the surface pro 1 today, but there is a strange problem with it.

USB drives are not recognised when directly connected to spro1 like they should be. They are not visible in file explorer, device manager or disk management. only when put through a non-powered USB hub do they show up as expected.

The usb drives continue to work on other computers, and this behavior continued after the spro1 was factory reset to windows 8.

does anyone have any solutions?

:)

ksdixon, Mar 8, 2017
  2. Anne Ros Win User

WiFi Drops Only When Specific USB Port Is Used

Hi Toby,

This might be caused by a corrupted USB port. To further isolate the issue, can other devices connect to that specific port? Does it work?

If updating the network drive and BIOS did not help, try updating the chipsets as well and see if the issue will persist. If yes, then we suggest contacting your device manufacturer directly and have them perform a hardware diagnostic to check for any hardware
    failures.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Anne Ros, Mar 8, 2017
  3. TobyKoch Win User
    WiFi Drops Only When Specific USB Port Is Used

Asking for my son ...

He has a Samsung laptop. The network will drop if one specific USB port is used. He has updated the network drivers and the BIOS so his machine should be up to date.

He's isolated it down to when a device is plugged into a specific USB.

Any thoughts?

TobyKoch, Mar 8, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Don't know if this situation fits but I got a Dell Venue 8 [8"] table over a year ago and the USB ports require an OTG/On The Go cable to adapt to USB devices, at least with my Thumb drives and my WDC Passport HDD. I got the OTG cable from Dell but there's other sources.

Berton, Mar 8, 2017
  5. ksdixon Win User
    It's just a bit weird. I know from previous eperience the usb drives are supposed to work normally, on other Surface Pro 1 devices. And they work on this one fine, so long as they're plugged into the hub. But connecting my PS4 controller on a microUSB cable won't work, no matter if it's directly connected to the machine or the hub.

ksdixon, Mar 8, 2017
  6. simpk5 Win User
    Sorry. Read too quick and didn't realize your hub is not powered. I was suggesting Spro1 wasn't putting out enough "juice". Please ignore.

simpk5, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. used Spro1 - usb drives only work when in a usb hub? - Similar Threads - used Spro1 usb

2. how to use a usb c cable as only a usb hub and not display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to use a usb c cable as only a usb hub and not display: I am on windows 11, I use a Lenovo laptop and a Dell monitor, my monitor has a USB hub on it, so I have a type c cable running from my monitor to my laptop, but the problem is my laptop has a dedicated GPU that is only accessible through the HDMI port and type c only uses the...
  3. how to use a usb c cable as only a usb hub and not display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to use a usb c cable as only a usb hub and not display: I am on windows 11, I use a Lenovo laptop and a Dell monitor, my monitor has a USB hub on it, so I have a type c cable running from my monitor to my laptop, but the problem is my laptop has a dedicated GPU that is only accessible through the HDMI port and type c only uses the...
  4. USB Hub not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Hub not working: My USB hub is not working j5 create 7 port usb hub JUH377When I plug things into the USB Hub I hear constant connecting and disconnecting sounds and none of the peripherals appearI've tried connecting the hub to all usb ports and the same issue occursI've connected other...
  5. USB Hub not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Hub not working: My USB hub is not working j5 create 7 port usb hub JUH377When I plug things into the USB Hub I hear constant connecting and disconnecting sounds and none of the peripherals appearI've tried connecting the hub to all usb ports and the same issue occursI've connected other...
  6. USB Hub not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. USB 3 devices used to work fine, now only work when attached to USB 2 HUB

USB 3 devices used to work fine, now only work when attached to USB 2 HUB: I have a Dell laptop with which I used to use several USB 3 devices for 2+ years. Now they only work when connected via a USB 2 hub. The devices are an XQD card reader and an external hard drive and both work when attached to USB 3 ports on my desktop computer.Because they...
  8. USB Hub not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    USB Hub not working: I have a new computer and a USB hub I used with my old computer is not being recognized not is any peripherals. I have done all the troubleshooting online with no success any suggestions?...
  9. Explorer freezes when adjusting volume, but only when using USB hub?

Explorer freezes when adjusting volume, but only when using USB hub?: OS: Windows 10 Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate (MS-7850) CPU: i7 4790k (boosted to 4.4Ghz by the OC Genie in BIOS GPU: MSI R9 390 Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 4 TB WD Blue external Keyboard, mouse, headphones and USB hub all connected via individual 15 ft. USB...
  10. Ant+ Stick only works in USB Hub

Ant+ Stick only works in USB Hub: I have a, in my opinion, strange issue. I use a Garmin Ant+ stick to collect cycling data while on a stationary trainer. I had purchased a Lenovo Yoga early 2018. It only has 1 usb port so I purchased a 4 port USB hub so I could increase my number of ports a second screen...