Windows 10: Used subst for local folder, but now Win10 thinks its a CD Drive

Discus and support Used subst for local folder, but now Win10 thinks its a CD Drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, I use Visual Studio at work and many projects are configured to run specifically from build servers, which requires that I run the project... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Heath Nay, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Heath Nay Win User

Used subst for local folder, but now Win10 thinks its a CD Drive

Hello all,

I use Visual Studio at work and many projects are configured to run specifically from build servers, which requires that I run the project from a specific file structure from the D drive.

The long standing way of handling this has been to simply have the project run from your D: hard drive. However in the past few years we have been upgrading to laptops that often have a single drive.

Rather than mess with the partitions on my Dell to get a D: (and assume my size need for it) I created a D: with subst (since there is no CD hardware).

It worked for over a year until recently. Now the drive is inaccessible and demands I insert a disk.

I'm pretty sure a recent update affected this setup though. Now Windows recognizes D: as a (seemingly authentic) CD Drive, complete with icon and all expected messages (i.e. "Insert a disk into Drive D:")

Using subst to display a list of current virtual drives (as documented in /? ) shows no virtual drives.

Using subst d: /d results in "Invalid parameter - D:"

I've gone into diskpart. At the time I presume I had found the partition since it had no volume (and all the other partitions were legitimate and had their expected unmounted volumes)

I deleted successfully the partition, and it doesn't show up in diskpart any longer.

The erroneous D: still lingers. It is haunting my ability to develop.

I am assuming it would take some specific registry manipulation if not more than that. I am not well versed enough to go into it and there doesn't seem to be any specific instances of this problem that I've been able to find.

Please help, and thank you for reading.

:)

Heath Nay, Feb 1, 2019
  2. Naki Win User

Bug with subst-ed drive

I have my Chrome Downloads folder set to a folder on my N: disk/drive - a substed drive, which is really on drive C:. Trying to run latest version of GPU-Z fails - it never show any window, nor an error message.
    System has (had) GPU-Z version of one version before latest.

OS: Windows 10 64-bit, Pro, latest Insider Preview build.

Expected: Work fine from a subst-ed drive, or show some kind of error.

Naki, Feb 1, 2019
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    CD drive error

1) Close all open programs
    2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
    3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

UpperFilters
    LowerFilters
    UpperFilters.bak
    LowerFilters.bak
    5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
    6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
    7) Reboot your computer
    8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

And it likely has something to do with the emulated drive you have listed there.

newtekie1, Feb 1, 2019
  4. Used subst for local folder, but now Win10 thinks its a CD Drive

Windows 10 issue "Subst" command doesn't work

• “sfc /scannow” didn't make any difference (no integrity problems found.
    • run command (w' admin privileges) subst [drive] ["some folder poath"] succeeds.
    • run command subst shows the correct subst.
    • For example If I open file browse dialog from msdev 2013 I can see subst drive (not from every app)
    • Subst drive still remains invisible from explorer.exe.

DanielChervin, Feb 1, 2019
Thema:

Used subst for local folder, but now Win10 thinks its a CD Drive

1. Used subst for local folder, but now Win10 thinks its a CD Drive - Similar Threads - Used subst local

2. DVD drive thinks it’s a CD drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD drive thinks it’s a CD drive: I know this has been discussed before but none of those answers have helped me.I have an internal TSSTcorp dvd drive. Windows 10 22H2 is giving it CD-ROM drivers and it won’t recognise DVDs. I have tried all the suggestions on the internet to no avail. I have tried a...
  3. DVD drive thinks it’s a CD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD drive thinks it’s a CD drive: I know this has been discussed before but none of those answers have helped me.I have an internal TSSTcorp dvd drive. Windows 10 22H2 is giving it CD-ROM drivers and it won’t recognise DVDs. I have tried all the suggestions on the internet to no avail. I have tried a...
  4. DVD drive thinks it’s a CD drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to open cd tray? its a Lenovo Think Pad Amd A6

How to open cd tray? its a Lenovo Think Pad Amd A6: My tray is not opening, when I press it's button. Is there an internal command I could use to open it up? It is not jammed or broken. Thank you in advance....
  6. CD Drive changes into local disk

CD Drive changes into local disk: hello, I'm facing a problem in windows 10 , my CD drive changes into Local Disk , I mean to say that my cd rom drive is now showing Local disk G . plz help me fix this problem .[ATTACH]...
  7. Local Disk D turned into a CD Drive

Local Disk D turned into a CD Drive: Basically what the title says. I don't know why or how this happened, but my local disk (d:) turned into a cd drive (d:). I can't access anything in it now. When I click it I get the message "please insert a disk into cd drive (d:)". I have too many important projects in that...
  8. Subst Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Subst Problem: I use several subst drives, like X: for D:\work, for instance. I have several scripts which refer to X: But today, there was a power outage in my apt (due to work being done) and when the computer came back up, for X: now I get "The volume does not contain a recognized file...
  9. CD/DvD drive opening on its own

CD/DvD drive opening on its own: Since i installed windows 10 my cd/dvd drive has been opening on its own. Any suggestions? 30381
  10. Drive created using subst - write permission problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Drive created using subst - write permission problem: Hello. I had Windows 8.1 installed and some months ago I associated drive letter (Q*Smile with C:\Users\Michal\Desktop\Q_Drive. I have my photos collection on that drive and I use it with Adobe Lightroom. Everything worked fine with 8.1, but after upgrade to Windows 10...