Windows 10: Used wrong product key for Win 10 install, got 10 Home instead of Pro

Discus and support Used wrong product key for Win 10 install, got 10 Home instead of Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, stupid user here. My old computer started with Win 7 Home Premium (retail); a few years down the road, I bought a Win 8 Pro retail upgrade.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KenOp, Jul 9, 2016.

1. KenOp Win User

Used wrong product key for Win 10 install, got 10 Home instead of Pro

So, stupid user here.

My old computer started with Win 7 Home Premium (retail); a few years down the road, I bought a Win 8 Pro retail upgrade.

Last week I built a new computer, intending on transferring the license from my old computer to the new one. But stupidly when it came to entering the product key, I entered the Win 7 Home Premium key. I merrily spent the next 6 days installing programs, customizing them & Windows, to get things exactly how I want them. Only to realize last night that I had ended up installing Win 10 Home, not Win 10 Pro (because the Win 7 key did not qualify for Pro).

I tried changing the key to the Win 8 Pro key this morning, but Windows says that key cannot be used for this version of Windows. I'm not positive that I care about anything in Win 10 Pro (maybe Bitlocker, less likely Hyper-V), but as I'm "entitled" to it, I thought it might be a good idea to have it installed, just in case.

But I'm not willing to spend another week doing a re-install of all those programs again. Is there any other method of upgrading to Pro (other than purchasing the upgrade, which I can do in the future if I do have a need for something in Pro)?
    Please be kind; I feel stupid enough already. *Doh

Ken

:)

KenOp, Jul 9, 2016

2. Swapping reserved Win10 upgrades between computers

You don't need a product key to install windows 10, but there is def a product key associated to your installation.

You can run BelArc Advisor and the product key will be listed in the results.

I like your train of thought. I wonder if it would actually work as I'm in a similar situation.

I have an old laptop that I made a clean install of Win 7 Pro on in Feb. And, I have a new laptop that was running Win 8.1 Home Edition. I would like to have Win 10 Home and Pro installed on each of them respectively as the old win7 pro machine is used
    by my kids and they don't need win 10 pro.

I have already upgraded both of them and acquired their product keys using BelArc Advisor. I wonder if I can go through the upgrade process and instead of actually running the installation, save it on a flash drive, and then install them on the opposite
    machines using the product key?

(as an aside, I have tried swapping the product keys from the computer's property screen. The Win 10 Home edition will allow the Pro product key entry to happen. The Win 10 Pro machine will not accept the Win 10 Home edition product key)

NewUser21233992, Jul 9, 2016
  3. Install Win 10 Pro 32 bit on 64 bit Notebook

Hello, again.

You say "You can't use the Windows 8 Pro product key to upgrade the Windows 10 Home installation to Pro...", whjch makes sense. However, I notice that the product key in my Windows 10 Pro on the PC, is different from the product key on my Win 8 Pro CDs
    received from Microsoft originally. Could I not use the PC Win 10 Pro product key instead of the default key you provided above?

This afternoon I will be removing the Pro product key from my PC, so it will be available if it will work.

Gordon

Nodrogchavez, Jul 9, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

kenOp.
    Only thing I can suggest is download Win 10 pro ISO....a repair option perhaps, where you could perhaps give the Pro product key....good luck.
    Windows 10 ISO

dencal, Jul 9, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would suggest following the procedure that Microsoft has for upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Pro:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ng-home-to-pro

Read the last link on the page: "Upgrade using a Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 8 Pro, or Windows 8.1 Pro product key"

NavyLCDR, Jul 9, 2016
  6. You beat me too it, was just about to suggest entering the 10 Pro generic key. And then after it upgrades entering the 8.1 Pro key to activate it.

alphanumeric, Jul 9, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    Even simpler now - just click on "go to store" link in the activation menu, and click on "I have a 10 pro product key" and enter 8.1 key.

cereberus, Jul 9, 2016
  8. KenOp Win User

Man, this is a fantastic group of people! I haven't been around since sevenforums.com; I'm afraid I've missed a lot.

It was extremely time consuming, took nearly 5 minutes, but I'm now running an activated installation of Win 10 Pro. *Biggrin

Thank you guys, so very much.

KenOp, Jul 10, 2016
  9. *Thumbs

alphanumeric, Jul 10, 2016
  10. And another, *Thumbs

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Used wrong product key for Win 10 install, got 10 Home instead of Pro - Similar Threads - Used wrong product

2. Win 10 Pro product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Pro product key: Hi,I have a pc where the motherboard died and a retail licence of Windows 10 Pro. I need to swap it to a new build pc. The retailer say they don’t sell Microsoft products any more but they never sent me a product key email. Spoke with licensing phone support who say contact...
  3. Win 10 Pro product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Pro product key: Hi,I have a pc where the motherboard died and a retail licence of Windows 10 Pro. I need to swap it to a new build pc. The retailer say they don’t sell Microsoft products any more but they never sent me a product key email. Spoke with licensing phone support who say contact...
  4. Win 10 home to pro rebuild product key issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 home to pro rebuild product key issue: my old windows 10 home key i think ishome [product key removed]i have wiped the hard drive and deleted all partitions and then rebuilt it with the latent windows 10 pro and used my new purchased pro keypro [product key removed]but after a few days my windows is saying this is...
  5. Win 10 home to pro rebuild product key issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 home to pro rebuild product key issue: my old windows 10 home key i think ishome [product key removed]i have wiped the hard drive and deleted all partitions and then rebuilt it with the latent windows 10 pro and used my new purchased pro keypro [product key removed]but after a few days my windows is saying this is...
  6. Win 10 home to pro rebuild product key issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 home to pro rebuild product key issue: my old windows 10 home key i think ishome YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7i have wiped the hard drive and deleted all partitions and then rebuilt it with the latent windows 10 pro and used my new purchased pro keypro NW9BW-CYJ4C-T48BT-PKTXF-6Q726but after a few days my windows...
  7. Win 10 Pro Product Key

Win 10 Pro Product Key: Hello, I bought a laptop with an OEM version, that I subsequently upgraded to a full version installed via download. How do I find my product key? I have run CMD as an Administrator and entered wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey, but I suspect...
  8. Mistakenly installed Win 10 Home instead of Pro.

Mistakenly installed Win 10 Home instead of Pro.: I mistakenly installed Win 10 Home instead of Pro and now my windows won't activate. The activation troubleshoot directs me to the MS Store but there I don't have the option to install Pro and I don't have a key since it's a digital license attached to my account....
  9. inadvertant installation of Win 10 Pro instead of Home

inadvertant installation of Win 10 Pro instead of Home: While trying to reinstall Win 10 Home on this computer, I mistakenly chose Win 10 Pro. Now I am unable to go back and reinstall Home. Pro seems to be locked in and since this computer wasn't set up as a Pro box, I am not able to activate. I've changed the registry values...
  10. Got Win 10 Home instead of Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Got Win 10 Home instead of Pro: Have a HP Spectre x2 laptop/tablet that came with Win 8 OEM installed, updated it to Win 8.1 Pro with one of my MSDN keys and all was Ok. Just recently upgraded to Win 10 and expected to get Win 10 Pro but got Win 10 Home. Don't know if anyone has seen this before but would...