Windows 10: used xcopy command and now i can't find my files

Discus and support used xcopy command and now i can't find my files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I used the command "xcopy C:\users D\ /D" I copied complete users folder and at the end of the command it showed that a number of files has been copied... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AnkitGajraj, Jul 10, 2020.

1. used xcopy command and now i can't find my files

I used the command "xcopy C:\users D\ /D" I copied complete users folder and at the end of the command it showed that a number of files has been copied but I can't find those files in D drive. so please tell me a way to find those files

* Moved from Community Participation Center

* OS not specified

:)

AnkitGajraj, Jul 10, 2020

2. Command line copy, Xcopy cant see files unless 'onedrive' is inserted.

In your description you left out a few essential details. Let me guess. Is this what you are trying to do:

1. You launch Windows on the laptop with the broken screen.
    2. You open a Command Prompt by pressing the Windows key+R, then typing cmd.exe{Enter}.
    3. You're using some xcopy command to copy some files to an external disk.

What exactly is this command?
    Did you consider restoring the files from your external backup medium?

Frederik Long, Jul 10, 2020
  3. jmt20 Win User
    XCopy not working on Win10

Hi,

There is a thread on this topic but it doesn't show a resolution.

Has something changed where xcopy doesn't work on Win10?

I am looking to copy files and I can't get even the simpliest .bat file to work. Copying 1 file to another folder on the C directory.

@EchoOff xcopy C:\files\test.bat C:\files-to\

Any suggestions are appreciated!

thanks,

joan

jmt20, Jul 10, 2020
  4. cabujones Win User

used xcopy command and now i can't find my files

Tough Command Line Backup using Robocopy or Xcopy

I must backup my BSOD'd PC from the command line before re-installing Windows 10, but Robocopy is glacially slow and Xcopy emits"Insufficient Memory" (due to long pathnames). I am now running Windows 10 from a USB 3.0 drive downloaded from MSft which brought me to [Install Now] or [Repair Your Computer]. Though MS states that [Install Now] would not destroy my personal files, I do not trust that. Hence I wish to first backup from [Repair Your Computer] at command line. I already tried the System Restore option to no avail. And other options like [Safe Mode with Command Prompt] just gets me back to the BSOD. So I am now at a Command Prompt X:>

• Robocopy /e /zb /b /sl /xj /create from C:\users to Seagate D:\users runs at a glacial 80MB/hr and would take thousands of hours to back up anything sizable.
    • Xcopy /e /c /h /y /b /s /r runs at a tolerable 25GB/hr (20hrs for my entire C: drive). However it stops with "Insufficient Memory" which definitely is a pathname > 256 chars problem, and I have many of them--for example, in .eml filenames of which I have about 100,000. Note that the /c option already requests "continue on error" but apparently not that error. There is a LongPathNames=0 setting in the registry which I can set to 1, but the doc says I need to reboot and this does not appear to get saved on the USB drive.
    • Even though I cannot boot from my C:drive, I can run many executables from them. Can I run standard MS backup from the command line and make a disk image? I do not need a backup to restore from, just want to keep all my data in case Windows 10 re-install destroys too much. I found that System32/sdclt.exe does not run alone. The Seagate backup utilities on D: are not compatible with Windows 10.
    This post is mainly to ask if anyone knows why Robocopy is so slow or how I could get around the LongPathNames in Xcopy. I have spent many many hours trying to restore.

cabujones, Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

used xcopy command and now i can't find my files

1. used xcopy command and now i can't find my files - Similar Threads - used xcopy command

2. XCOPY command does not work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    XCOPY command does not work: XCOPY command does not work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xcopy-command-does-not-work/2989b013-3a30-428c-a9e2-a5d1ebafac11
  3. XCOPY command does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    XCOPY command does not work: XCOPY command does not work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xcopy-command-does-not-work/2989b013-3a30-428c-a9e2-a5d1ebafac11
  4. XCOPY command does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Access Denied To Files Using xcopy

Access Denied To Files Using xcopy: i am trying to copy different file from d drive to windows drive using xcopyxcopy /e /v /r /y "D:\Windows" "C:\Windows" i am getting access denied for some files is there anything i can do to fix this...
  6. Access Denied To Files Using xcopy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access Denied To Files Using xcopy: i am trying to copy different file from d drive to windows drive using xcopyxcopy /e /v /r /y "D:\Windows" "C:\Windows" i am getting access denied for some files is there anything i can do to fix this...
  7. Using the xcopy command when also using OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using the xcopy command when also using OneDrive: My topic is the xcopy command. Like every year at the end of the year, I want to copy my empty folder structure for next year. The command for 2020 to 2021 that I successfully used was as follows: "C:\Users\Myname\Documents\Priv 2020" "C:\Users\Myname\Documents\Priv 2021" /T...
  8. Using the xcopy command when also using OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using the xcopy command when also using OneDrive: My topic is the xcopy command. Like every year at the end of the year, I want to copy my empty folder structure for next year. The command for 2020 to 2021 that I successfully used was as follows: "C:\Users\Myname\Documents\Priv 2020" "C:\Users\Myname\Documents\Priv 2021" /T...
  9. Using the xcopy command when also using OneDrive

10. Tough Command Line Backup using Robocopy or Xcopy

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Tough Command Line Backup using Robocopy or Xcopy: I must backup my BSOD'd PC from the command line before re-installing Windows 10, but Robocopy is glacially slow and Xcopy emits"Insufficient Memory" (due to long pathnames). I am now running Windows 10 from a USB 3.0 drive downloaded from MSft which brought me to [Install...