Windows 10: User account can no longer make changes, and I can't log into Administrator

Discus and support User account can no longer make changes, and I can't log into Administrator in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; As of a few months ago, any installation or uninstallation of an application mostly third-party software, I can still install and uninstall Microsoft... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by hamzilly, Feb 15, 2021.

1. hamzilly Win User

User account can no longer make changes, and I can't log into Administrator

As of a few months ago, any installation or uninstallation of an application mostly third-party software, I can still install and uninstall Microsoft store apps required Administrator permission for me to do. Up until then, I was able to make changes with my User account.

My Admin account requires a password that I do not know I've tried to change it through Command Prompt and Device Management, only to get an "Access Denied" message. This is mainly an issue because I've been trying to move Windows from my HDD to my newly purchased SSD, but I can't even migrate my SSD because I don't have permission to do anything in Device Management.

I've also tried to factory reset, but that also requires permission that I do not have because now only the Administrator Account I cannot change the password to has permission.

Additionally, I've been receiving a lot of data breaches in google chrome, and a random "Managed by my Organization" notification on Chrome, despite using a personal Gmail. Could it be possible that I was browser hijacked and it somehow made its way to the rest of my computer?

:)

hamzilly, Feb 15, 2021
  2. Arul_D Win User

How do you change a user account to an administrator account in Windows 10?

Hi Fiona,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to go to control panel and check your user account status. Right click on the start button and select control panel in the menu. In the control panel, click on the 'view by' option in the top right and select 'large icons'. Now, click
    on 'User accounts' and check if your account is listed as Administrator. If it is not displayed as Admin account, click on the option 'Change user account type' and select 'Administrator' and apply changes. Try these steps and let us know the results. If you
    have already tried, please let us know what all troubleshooting steps you have tried so far, so that we can provided you suggestion accordingly.

Arul_D, Feb 15, 2021
  3. How to change user account type back to administrator on Windows 10?

Hello Dryana,

As you are facing issues with changing the user account type back to administrator, we will help you with this issue.

I would like to inform that you can try to enable the built-in administrator account, log-in with the admin account, change the user account type of previous account back to administrator and check if it helps.

Step 1: Follow the steps to Enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
    • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open Command Prompt.
    • Type the following command and hit Enter:
    • net user administrator /active:Yes (Check for the spaces)
    • Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.

Note: Please follow the same steps and type
    net user administrator /active:no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Step 2: Change the account type.

• Press Windows + R keys from the Keyboard.
    • Type netplwiz and click on Ok.
    • Click on the Users tab.
    • Under Users of this computer: select the account you want to change.
    • Click on Properties button.
    • Under Group Membership tab and select Administrator as user account type.
    • Click on Apply and Ok.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you are facing issues changing the user account type, we will help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 15, 2021
  4. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Feb 15, 2021
Thema:

1. User account can no longer make changes, and I can't log into Administrator - Similar Threads - User account longer

2. I can no longer log into my account it keeps making me change the password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can no longer log into my account it keeps making me change the password: This is **** retarded get your **** together. I am forced to change my password constantly cant even get into the god damn account. All I want to do is read my **** emails. YOu **** and yiour ***** functions you instal to **** with people? GO **** yourselves you ****. Who the...
  3. I can no longer log into my account it keeps making me change the password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can no longer log into my account it keeps making me change the password: This is **** retarded get your **** together. I am forced to change my password constantly cant even get into the god damn account. All I want to do is read my **** emails. YOu **** and yiour ***** functions you instal to **** with people? GO **** yourselves you ****. Who the...
  4. Can not change user account to Administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not change user account to Administrator: Asked question before PC shut off and I lost links answer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-change-user-account-to-administrator/dab9945c-1f60-4dd9-8037-901cd67e615b
  5. Can not change user account to Administrator

Can not change user account to Administrator: Asked question before PC shut off and I lost links answer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-change-user-account-to-administrator/dab9945c-1f60-4dd9-8037-901cd67e615b
  6. Can't make an account administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't make an account administrator: Hello,I've got a new laptop windows 11 and first I singed into the windows account with my last account let's say account1 and it became the administrator account. Later, I decided that I want another account let's say account2 to be the administrator one, so I signed into it...
  7. Can't make an account administrator

Can't make an account administrator: Hello,I've got a new laptop windows 11 and first I singed into the windows account with my last account let's say account1 and it became the administrator account. Later, I decided that I want another account let's say account2 to be the administrator one, so I signed into it...
  8. I can't seem to change the user to administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't seem to change the user to administrator: So, whenever I run the cmd with administrator rights and type in "net user administrator /active:yes", it says that the user could not be located. I also cannot acces group configurations through "run" typing in "gpedit.msc" neither through the computer management.Can...
  9. I can't change my Administrator Microsoft account to a local user.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't change my Administrator Microsoft account to a local user.: I have 2 accounts on my laptop right now. The administrator account was the one I first logged in with this laptop and later, I added my second Microsoft account. I want to change my old account to a local user so I can change the Microsoft account on my second account to...
  10. i can not make change to administrative settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i can not make change to administrative settings: i can not able to make change to my pc settings cant able to install apps even i am the administrator and i can not able to launch command promot (admin) can you help me to solve it....