Windows 10: User Account Control will not change in non-admin accounts

Discus and support User Account Control will not change in non-admin accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have changed the UAC in my (Admin) account to turn it off. I have accounts for 3 other people, regular user accounts. On those regular accounts, if... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by mac173173, Jul 29, 2016.

1. mac173173 Win User

User Account Control will not change in non-admin accounts

I have changed the UAC in my (Admin) account to turn it off. I have accounts for 3 other people, regular user accounts.
    On those regular accounts, if you try to start several of the games I have installed (LOTRO, Neverwinter, etc.) UAC stops the game from loading, asks if you will allow, then rejects it as you need to be logged in as ADMIN to give permission.

I checked UAC while logged into a regular account, and it is turned on (After I turned it off in ADMIN account). It will not let me change the setting, saying I need to be logged in as ADMIN.

Now, I am NOT going to give my 8 year old granddaughter ADMIN rights, so how do I turn off UAC in that account?

:)

mac173173, Jul 29, 2016
  2. GMANIII Win User

Windows Defender fails to scan daily for Windows 10:

Okay, I went into my control panels user accounts setting and see there was another user account set as ADMIN. This was my former Windows 7 ADMIN account. I change that account back to "standard". I hope this fixes the non-daily-windows defender scan. (Hoping
    for daily WD scan). Re-starting Windows 10 computer. Now only have one ADMIN account.

GMANIII, Jul 29, 2016
  3. user admin priv. and task mangager not working

Yes, I did create a local user account, that has not changed the behavior. In the admin account I can make changes to the users only if use computer management, not control panel. In the local user account I can not launch taskmanger, command prompt
    admin, or make changes to users using control panel. I have given the local user admin privileges

gorudynzalez, Jul 29, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 29, 2016
  5. mac173173 Win User
    Therein lies the problem. I turned off UAC in the Administrators login, but it is still on for regular users. It is NOT universal.

I will try the workaround and get back to you. Thanks.

mac173173, Jul 29, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you mean you set UAC settings to "Never notify", then:

• You won't be notified before any changes are made to your PC.
    • If you're signed in as an administrator, apps can make changes to your PC without your knowledge.
    • If you're signed in as a standard user, any changes that require administrator permissions will automatically be denied.

Brink, Jul 29, 2016
  7. Culbrelai Win User
    You can disable UAC completely using a registry key, thus never having this issue and not having to make silly shortcuts.

Teach your granddaughter to not click on unfamiliar links, ads, etc. Use anti virus software as well.

The only trade off is that the watered down desktop programs known as "Metro apps" will not work, which is not a big sacrifice imo as most of them are

A: Useless (Twitter, Facebook, etc - Set a favorite in your browser)
    B. Shovelware (Get Office, Get Skype, etc)
    C. Security Hazards (OneDrive)

Scroll past the first chapter. It says it applies to Windows 7 but it also applies to Vista, 8, and 8.1, and 10.

How To (Really) Completely Disable UAC on Windows 7

Culbrelai, Jul 29, 2016
  8. mac173173 Win User

I understand you telling me these things, but:
    1) Changes are made to your PC constantly. If you were notified every time a change was made, you would spend 10 hours a day approving them. This system (UAC) was window dressing to appease people rightly concerned with security, but really only annoys you asking to approve changes to programs you have approved many times before. If it would save the setting, or allow you to save the setting, I might use it, but asking me to approve Neverwinter every time I log in is just stupid and annoying.

2) I am on a PC, I don't use apps, I run programs. If I would not approve a program making changes, then why did I install it in the first place? This is the logical flaw in the whole UAC system. If you don't trust the app or program to make changes, then delete the app or program.

3) I never sign in as a standard user. Way too many restrictions and I use too many admin functions to sign in without admin rights.

I tend to avoid making registry changes, but this is the method I will use. Losing access to Metro apps is no loss, I am still trying to delete access to the Windows Store to prevent any of the other users from installing any of the crappy "apps" from there.

If you have not guessed, I hate Win10. HATE it. I use Android for mobile computing, Win10 is a poor replacement for mobile, and a cobbled together mess for a PC. Why was my interface flattened out? To save resources? I have powerful video card and an 850 watt power supply, what resources do I need to conserve? All that crap is designed for mobile devices, but I get them by default and with no option to use PC specific options.

<rant off>

That said, thank you both for your responses.

mac173173, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. User Account Control will not change in non-admin accounts - Similar Threads - User Account Control

2. Removing User Account Control Pop up for a Non-Admin User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing User Account Control Pop up for a Non-Admin User: Hi,I am trying to open Genshin Impact to a Non-Admin user in my computer. I am the Administrator, but I want the application Genshin Impact to be run in another user that I have added in my PC even without me typing the password every time someone opens the application...
  3. Removing User Account Control Pop up for a Non-Admin User

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing User Account Control Pop up for a Non-Admin User: Hi,I am trying to open Genshin Impact to a Non-Admin user in my computer. I am the Administrator, but I want the application Genshin Impact to be run in another user that I have added in my PC even without me typing the password every time someone opens the application...
  4. Removing User Account Control Pop up for a Non-Admin User

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. User Account Control Settings not working accordingly with admin account

User Account Control Settings not working accordingly with admin account: My User Account Control Settings is set on level 3, however the settings are not working properly on my account with administrator level. When I type in wt Windows Terminal in the run box and hit ctrl+shift+enter, which should bypass the admin prompt, I still get the admin...
  6. change the user account control?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    change the user account control?: Hello dear community, with some programs I get the following message: (see attachment). I would like to know how I can issue this message so that it no longer appears for a certain program, i.e. the selection is automatically marked "yes". For your information: I use...
  7. User control access, NETPLWIZ, admin accounts

User control access, NETPLWIZ, admin accounts: I am running Win10, home user version, build 18363. I am listed as an administrator, but I cannot do any of the functions, troubleshooting, etc. When I run NETPLWIZ or o to control panel and try to change the account type the User Access Control screen pops up and says to...
  8. User Account Control prompt not showing for one admin account.

User Account Control prompt not showing for one admin account.: Hi, I have a machine with 2 local admin accounts; the enabled default Administrator and a new user account which was removed from the Users group and added to the Administrators group, lets call that one Admin2. For some reason when opening applications like "SQL Server...
  9. Change User Account Admin rights

Change User Account Admin rights: I am the sole user of this computer. The control panel tells me I am an administrator but when I go into my account it says I am a standard user and won't let me change it to Administrator. I just want to manage my own computer and - for instance - delete files on a CD...
  10. admin account with UAC, or non-admin account with admin password

admin account with UAC, or non-admin account with admin password: On a 2016 tutorial, the teacher said that it was important to create a new user as an administrator, and removing the admin rights of the user that I use all the time. Then, using admin privilege only when necessary, e.g. "run as administrator", and entering the password of...