Windows 10: User account disappear but home dir OK

Discus and support User account disappear but home dir OK in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello, My computer had a glitch and after rebooting it I cannot see my account () at the login screen. I can login as administrator and I can see... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by enrix, Feb 15, 2017.

1. enrix Win User

User account disappear but home dir OK

Hello,

My computer had a glitch and after rebooting it I cannot see my account () at the login screen. I can login as administrator and I can see the home directory C:\Users\ is there with all its files. I am not very technical and I have read that recreating a new account may overwrite the previous one and may delete files. My question is how can I create a new account and give it the C:\Users\ home directory without losing any file?

Many thanks,

:)

enrix, Feb 15, 2017
  2. Kaityf Win User

Windows 10 Update Changed My User Login Account

Here it is. I should mention that I earlier tried to create new profiles thinking maybe one was attached to the old one. Yeah...I know. Dumb. But I was desperate. In any case, at the bottom in the directory of users, you see Carol, which is the one that
    used to be the default user and then Carol.CAROL-PC, which is what Windows starts with now. I have no idea where that came from. Maybe because CAROL-PC was the name of my computer?

User accounts for \\CAROL-PC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Administrator Carol clbai

DefaultAccount Guest kaity

WDAGUtilityAccount

The command completed successfully.

User name Carol

Full Name

Comment

User's comment

Country/region code 000 (System Default)

Account active Yes

Account expires Never

Password last set 3/4/2018 12:01:00 AM

Password expires Never

Password changeable 3/4/2018 12:01:00 AM

Password required No

User may change password Yes

Workstations allowed All

Logon script

User profile

Home directory

Last logon 3/4/2018 1:10:47 PM

Logon hours allowed All

Local Group Memberships *Administrators *Debugger Users

*HomeUsers

Global Group memberships *None

USERDOMAIN=CAROL-PC

USERDOMAIN_ROAMINGPROFILE=CAROL-PC

USERNAME=Carol

USERPROFILE=C:\Users\Carol.CAROL-PC

Volume in drive C is Windows

Volume Serial Number is 7A49-FD8C

Directory of c:\users

03/04/2018 12:18 AM <DIR> .

03/04/2018 12:18 AM <DIR> ..

03/04/2018 01:53 PM <DIR> Carol

03/03/2018 09:21 PM <DIR> Carol.CAROL-PC

03/04/2018 12:09 AM <DIR> clbai

12/30/2016 04:37 PM <DIR> Default.migrated

03/03/2018 10:52 PM <DIR> Public

0 File(s) 0 bytes

7 Dir(s) 588,199,112,704 bytes free

User accounts for \\CAROL-PC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Administrator Carol clbai

DefaultAccount Guest kaity

WDAGUtilityAccount

User name Carol

Full Name

Comment

User's comment

Country/region code 000 (System Default)

Account active Yes

Account expires Never

Password last set 3/4/2018 12:01:00 AM

Password expires Never

Password changeable 3/4/2018 12:01:00 AM

Password required No

User may change password Yes

Workstations allowed All

Logon script

User profile

Home directory

Last logon 3/4/2018 1:10:47 PM

Logon hours allowed All

Local Group Memberships *Administrators *Debugger Users

*HomeUsers

Global Group memberships *None

USERDOMAIN=CAROL-PC

USERDOMAIN_ROAMINGPROFILE=CAROL-PC

USERNAME=Carol

USERPROFILE=C:\Users\Carol.CAROL-PC

Volume in drive C is Windows

Volume Serial Number is 7A49-FD8C

Directory of c:\users

03/04/2018 12:18 AM <DIR> .

03/04/2018 12:18 AM <DIR> ..

03/04/2018 01:53 PM <DIR> Carol

03/03/2018 09:21 PM <DIR> Carol.CAROL-PC

03/04/2018 12:09 AM <DIR> clbai

12/30/2016 04:37 PM <DIR> Default.migrated

03/03/2018 10:52 PM <DIR> Public

0 File(s) 0 bytes

7 Dir(s) 588,199,104,512 bytes free

Kaityf, Feb 15, 2017
  3. daf_57 Win User
    to delete or not to delete

thanks

okay i get that, so for e.g "nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06_final1_armel" thats in /home/user/MyDocs but is installed to mmc can be delete from the MyDocs dir.

daf_57, Feb 15, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I would advise you to use chkdsk to check your file system first:
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

Then maybe you can reactivate the account using this
    net user USERNAME /active:yes
    from an administrative command prompt, where USERNAME = enrix.

Then if successful, disable the administrator account.

dalchina, Feb 16, 2017
  5. enrix Win User
    Hi dalchina,

thanks for your reply. I have tried your suggestions and few others I have found on the internet but at the end the only one that worked was to run a system restore.

thx,

Enrico

enrix, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. User account disappear but home dir OK - Similar Threads - User account disappear

2. User account disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User account disappeared: Hello,I recently opened my windows 11 laptop after not using it for a week. Upon boot up, my user profile seems to be missing I have only ever had one user profile since this is a personal laptop. My only option to log in to an account is “New user” and a password is...
  3. User account disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User account disappeared: Hello,I recently opened my windows 11 laptop after not using it for a week. Upon boot up, my user profile seems to be missing I have only ever had one user profile since this is a personal laptop. My only option to log in to an account is “New user” and a password is...
  4. Documents Folder under the user dir now points to the user dir and I can't change it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents Folder under the user dir now points to the user dir and I can't change it.: I was trying to move my user folder "%USERPROFILE%\Documents", using the location tab, to another directory and accidentally used "%USERPROFILE%". Now if I go to that dir "%USERPROFILE%" The documents folder takes me back to "%USERPROFILE%". The Location tab is now gone. I...
  5. Documents Folder under the user dir now points to the user dir and I can't change it.

Documents Folder under the user dir now points to the user dir and I can't change it.: I was trying to move my user folder "%USERPROFILE%\Documents", using the location tab, to another directory and accidentally used "%USERPROFILE%". Now if I go to that dir "%USERPROFILE%" The documents folder takes me back to "%USERPROFILE%". The Location tab is now gone. I...
  6. Local user account disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Local user account disappeared: There is no option to sign into a local account I had created on windows 10 on my laptop. It does not give me the option to log in nor switch to the account though it can still be viewed in my settings. I was on it but then when I locked the account and tried to get back on...
  7. Local user account disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local user account disappeared: There is no option to sign into a local account I had created on windows 10 on my laptop. It does not give me the option to log in nor switch to the account though it can still be viewed in my settings. I was on it but then when I locked the account and tried to get back on...
  8. Local user account disappeared

9. Opening Excel file causes DIR to disappear

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Opening Excel file causes DIR to disappear: After the last few rounds of Windows 10 Updates we are having users experiencing strange permission issues and DIR/Files disappearing and reappearing Example: I map network drives using a login script Our fileserver is Sever 2012 Our user systems are Win10 Users login...
  10. OK to delete these user accounts?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    OK to delete these user accounts?: I have recently restored my Bootcamp partition and re-set up my own and my husband's user accounts. In File Explorer, there are other accounts shown (as well as the usual Default and Public users). How can I determine which are safe to delete, please? 139253