Windows 10: User account disappeared from sign-in screen and hamburger menu

Discus and support User account disappeared from sign-in screen and hamburger menu in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Dear Community members, Please advise because I am going crazy from this... The problem is as above. It was working fine and after a recent Windows... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by AnnaOdor21, Mar 14, 2021.

1. User account disappeared from sign-in screen and hamburger menu

Dear Community members,

Please advise because I am going crazy from this... The problem is as above. It was working fine and after a recent Windows update my accounts just disappear from the login page and hamburger menu.

I have reviewed at least 10 other posts and tried all the suggestions. I was partially successful with the /versed ending command prompt: all user names showed up at login BUT only that one time. After a restart the problem came back.

I have added the account to Users and Groups. I have tried the methods, nothing works. I have Windows 10 Pro.

I would appreciate any and all advice!

Anna

:)

AnnaOdor21, Mar 14, 2021
  2. Explorer9 Win User

force default user account to always be selected on sign-in screen

A PC has Windows 10 (version 1703, build 15063.726) installed on it. A person named Robert has a user account on it, named Robert. A person named Jennifer has a user account on it, named Jennifer. The user accounts Robert and Jennifer are "Standard" type accounts. There is a third user account, named Adm, and it's type is "Administrator".

The PC specs are: laptop, brand Asus, model X550CA, cpu Intel Celeron 1007U 1.50GHz, 8 GB RAM DDR3, 500 GB HDD 5200 RPM, 120 GB SSD.

Windows 10 default behavior, case 1 - the Robert and Jennifer user accounts are both password protected

1. Jennifer turns PC on.
    2. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Robert is shown.
    3. At the sign-in screen, Jennifer clicks on the account Jennifer in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types her password and presses Enter.
    4. Jennifer clicks on the "Start" button on the taskbar, clicks on the "Power" button, then clicks "Shut down".
    5. Robert turns PC on.
    6. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Jennifer is shown.
    7. Robert clicks on the account Robert in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types his password and presses Enter.

Windows 10 default behavior, case 2 - the Robert user account is password protected, the Jennifer user account is not password protected

1. Jennifer turns PC on.
    2. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Robert is shown.
    3. At the sign-in screen, Jennifer clicks on the account Jennifer in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then clicks on the "Sign-in" button.
    4. Jennifer clicks on the "Start" button on the taskbar, clicks on the "Power" button, then clicks on "Shut down".
    5. Robert turns PC on.
    6. Windows 10 signs in automatically into the Jennifer user account.
    7. Robert clicks on the "Start" button, clicks on the "Jennifer" button, then clicks on "Sign out".
    8. At the sign-in screen, the button "Sign in" for the user account Jennifer is shown.
    9. Robert clicks on the account Robert in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types his password and presses Enter.

Question 1

Is it possible for Robert to change Windows 10's default behavior, to the behavior described below?

1. Robert or Jennifer turns on the PC.
    2. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the Robert user account is shown, even if Jennifer was the last person to sign-in and then click on "Shut down" from the "Start" menu.

Question 2

If the answer to question 1 is yes, then what settings does Robert have to make, in order to get the behavior described at question 1?

Changing "dontdisplaylastusername" is not the solution

By changing the "dontdisplaylastusername" registry DWORD from 0 to 1, Robert doesn't get the behavior described at question 1. After setting "dontdisplaylastusername" to 1, Robert has to type both his user account name, and his password, at the sign-in screen. Robert wants to type only his password, at the sign-in screen, and nothing else.

Why does Robert want to change the default behavior

The reasons Robert would like to change to the behavior described at question 1:
    • he is the owner of the PC;
    • he uses his PC frequently, Jennifer uses his PC rarely, therefore it makes sense that Robert should have one less click to do in order to sign in;
    • he doesn't want to click on something in order to get at his password field, he wants to press the power button on the PC and then type his password (doesn't want unnecessary intermediate steps between pressing the power button and typing his password).

Explorer9, Mar 14, 2021
  3. Bree Win User
    force default user account to always be selected on sign-in screen

Yes, or at least a close approximation. Set Robert to log in automatically, but do not give Robert's password when setting it up.

*Arrow Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

On start up it will say 'the name or password is incorrect' with an 'OK' button. Click OK and you go to the sign in screen with Robert's name and the password box.

4. Rose Cal Win User

User account disappeared from sign-in screen and hamburger menu

Sign-in Screen Disappears

Hi Ermie,

It is possible that the sign in screen disappears due to corrupted system files. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you able to see the password box?
    • Could you provide us a screenshot of the sign in screen on your end?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Rose Cal, Mar 14, 2021
Thema:

User account disappeared from sign-in screen and hamburger menu

1. User account disappeared from sign-in screen and hamburger menu - Similar Threads - User account disappeared

2. User account disappeared from laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User account disappeared from laptop: I went to log on to my user account on my laptop after not going on it for several months, however I had forgotten my pin. I clicked on forgotten my pin expecting there to be an option to change it or something but instead my account has now completely disappeared from the...
  3. User account disappeared from laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User account disappeared from laptop: I went to log on to my user account on my laptop after not going on it for several months, however I had forgotten my pin. I clicked on forgotten my pin expecting there to be an option to change it or something but instead my account has now completely disappeared from the...
  4. User account disappeared from login screen and control panel

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User account disappeared from login screen and control panel: Hi there,Dell recently replaced motherboard and we were getting " Trusted Platform Module malfunctioned". We logged off from user account and login to admin account and renamed...
  5. User account disappeared from login screen and control panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User account disappeared from login screen and control panel: Hi there,Dell recently replaced motherboard and we were getting " Trusted Platform Module malfunctioned". We logged off from user account and login to admin account and renamed...
  6. User account disappeared from login screen and control panel

7. User Account Disappearing From Welcome Screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User Account Disappearing From Welcome Screen: (I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask so let me know if I should post elsewhere) I have my PC running Windows 10 Education set up with two users on it: one administrator (me) and one standard user (my brother). After my brother logs out of his profile, mine doesn't...
  8. multiple user accounts on sign in screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    multiple user accounts on sign in screen: I just purchased a refurbished Dell 5050 with Windows 10 Pro. It shows 3 accounts on sign in screen even though only one account shows in Local Users & Groups (which is the correct one I set up after Windows started). 2 of the accounts have the same correct name and 1 has the...
  9. Account Sign-In Hidden from Sign-in Menu/Start Menu

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Account Sign-In Hidden from Sign-in Menu/Start Menu: My younger brother and I share a computer. It is Windows 10 Pro. I was letting him use it while i was asleep. All I know is that he was playing his video games. Anyways, he left the house to go hang out somewhere and i wake up to see that when i turn on the computer, only his...
  10. Calculator hamburger menu won't display

Calculator hamburger menu won't display: When I click the 3-bar hamburger menu icon I get a brief flash and then nothing. Any fix? Reinstall calculator? 40344