Windows 10: User account keeps losing administrator rights

Discus and support User account keeps losing administrator rights in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have been setting up brand new laptops/desktops for other users at work. I have been using the option of personal use at OOB setup. I create a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Kathy #kathompson, May 8, 2021.

1. User account keeps losing administrator rights

I have been setting up brand new laptops/desktops for other users at work. I have been using the option of personal use at OOB setup. I create a local user and then add the user to the Administrator group within Computer Management. Later in the process I add the laptop to a domain. After restarting and doing other setup tasks the local account is no longer listed in the Administrators Group. I can reAdd the account to the Administrator Group and at somepoint in time it drops again. I need some direction on ways to to isolate why this happens so that I can fix it so that

:)

Kathy #kathompson, May 8, 2021
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

Weird account name and lost Administrator rights.

Well, I know what I would do.

Under Settings, Accounts, Family & other users, then under Other users, add someone else to this PC. Then click the link for "the person I want to add doesn't have an email address". Then click the link for "Add a user without a Microsoft account". Then enter a temporary user name like TempAdmin. When the account appears in the Other Users list, click on it. Click change account type. Make the temporary account an Administrator.

Log in as the temporary administrator account, and copy all the files you want to keep from both the Andrius folders under Users to the temporary account's folder. Then delete whatever Andrius users are listed under settings, accounts. Go back to the Users folders and delete any remaining Andrius folders in there. Reboot the computer, log in as the temporary administrator and recreate an Andrius account using the exact same steps you made the temporary account - you can convert it to a Microsoft account if you want later.

Then do the rest of the steps to copy all your files back and delete the temporary administrator account.

NavyLCDR, May 8, 2021
  3. Linking Microsoft Account to my Local Account Caused me to Lose Administrator Access

Hi,

Welcome and thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to login to your temporary user account, enable built in administrator account and try to change the account settings.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.

• Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
      Command Prompt.

• Type the following command and hit Enter:

• net user administrator /active: yes
      (Check for the spaces)
    4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Step 2: Follow the below steps,

• Type User Accounts in the Search box from the desktop and select
      Change the User Accounts.

• Here you will be able to see all the user accounts on your computer.

• Select the User account and see if it is a Standard user account or Administrator.

• If it is standard user then, change it to Administrator.

• Now, log out from the Built-in Administrator account and try to log-in with your Administrator account.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, May 8, 2021
  4. Arul_D Win User

User account keeps losing administrator rights

How do you change a user account to an administrator account in Windows 10?

Hi Fiona,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to go to control panel and check your user account status. Right click on the start button and select control panel in the menu. In the control panel, click on the 'view by' option in the top right and select 'large icons'. Now, click
    on 'User accounts' and check if your account is listed as Administrator. If it is not displayed as Admin account, click on the option 'Change user account type' and select 'Administrator' and apply changes. Try these steps and let us know the results. If you
    have already tried, please let us know what all troubleshooting steps you have tried so far, so that we can provided you suggestion accordingly.

Arul_D, May 8, 2021
Thema:

User account keeps losing administrator rights

1. User account keeps losing administrator rights - Similar Threads - User account keeps

2. User account keeps losing administrator rights

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User account keeps losing administrator rights: I have been setting up brand new laptops/desktops for other users at work. I have been using the option of personal use at OOB setup. I create a local user and then add the user to the Administrator group within Computer Management. Later in the process I add the laptop to...
  3. Regular "User" account, separate "Administrator" account for escalation...whats the right way?

Regular "User" account, separate "Administrator" account for escalation...whats the right way?: I have two 2 accounts, one is a standard user account for all daily tasks; the second is for elevating privileges when required installing software, etc. This works 'ok' most of the time, but there are scenarios where doing this causes the software to install instead on the...
  4. Windows 10 - do not have a user account with administrative rights

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - do not have a user account with administrative rights: Windows 10 - do not have a user account with administrative rights. I can't create a new user with administrative rights because there is no "Family & other users" option in Settings - Accounts. How can I create a user?...
  5. Clear Explorer Administrative Rights on Standard User Accounts

Clear Explorer Administrative Rights on Standard User Accounts: I am encountering quite the security issue here that seems pretty blatant. I have two users on my Windows 10 device: 1 Adminstrator and 1 Standard. From the Standard account, I try to access Administrator folders. I get prompted for administrative rights and I provide...
  6. Administrator rights as local user?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Administrator rights as local user?: Hello! I have a little problem for the busy community! Thanks already: The following scenario: I am a local user, so I don't have administrator rights on the Windows system! The password of the admin user is unknown to me. I don't want to change it either. That one...
  7. Lose my administrators rights + could not shutdown and restart

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lose my administrators rights + could not shutdown and restart: My laptop could not shutdown.. when i click on Power button,some message shown "these are currently no power options available"...and i am also lose my all administrators rights...what can i do ..?...
  8. User and Administrator accounts help...

User and Administrator accounts help...: Hello... Just joined the forum to get some help on windows 10 user accounts... OK... Here I go, See if I can relay what I'm fighting... I upgraded to windows 10 made one account because this is my home personal computer... I don't need a password... I just like to start...
  9. User Account / Administrator

User Account / Administrator: well, I have nobody to blame but myself but when installing Windows 10 I allowed the software to create a Microsoft account and it naturally built an account with no administrator privileges. Of course this is totally wortless for me - I'm the only User on this laptop and...
  10. Administrator account do not have administrative rights always

Administrator account do not have administrative rights always: I tried this over several laptops to see if its corruption and the result is not . Accounts with Administrator rights do not have administrative privileges over all folders owned by Administrators group , that i either have to own the folder or add the user (administrator)...