Windows 10: User account missing from login screen

Discus and support User account missing from login screen in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I cant log in to my main user profile. Previously I had an issue where I was getting notifications saying to set up Windows Hello, although I already... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by kisokos03, Aug 25, 2020.

1. kisokos03 Win User

User account missing from login screen

I cant log in to my main user profile.

Previously I had an issue where I was getting notifications saying to set up Windows Hello, although I already had a pin, and when I tried to create a pin, it would ask for my pin to verify identity then the window would just close. This was the same if I tried to make a pin through Windows settings. I tried to find a solution online and most forums and the likes, including on Microsoft Answers said to delete the contents of the Ngc folder in C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Ngc, which would rest pin data and allow me to remake it and Windows to realise this.

Initially it seemed to fix the issue as I did this on my user account and I was now able to set up a pin through Windows settings, however I tried to first relog then restart my PC (just to make sure it worked) but when I tried to log in again, my user account was gone from the login screen, and the only account was the default Windows Administrator account which I had enabled anyway.

From the Admin account I can see my user account, and before restarting it even said it was still logged in, but on clicking on it, it still just takes me to the Administrator login screen with no way to change user.

I tried multiple system restores to even a few days before this happened, but that didnt restore Ngc, and even said that documents werent affected by the restore. I also tried to navigate to where it should've been, and used the 'previous versions'
    tab from properties. Here theres actually an older version from before it was deleted but I cant restore or view it, because whether I try to open Ngc directly or from the previous version of the parent folder, access is denied. I cant copy the file or change the permissions or its owner, if I try that I get an error message saying 'The media is write protected', and I cant enter or copy the folder from powershell (if I open the 'previous version' folder and shift right click to open powershell'.

The only way I have managed to in any way get inside the previous version of Ngc was through git bash which I already had on my PC. With that I can do right click>open git bash here, and I can navigate the contents of the Ngc folder and verify that this 'previous version' does actually have all the files.

so just to recap: I deleted the contents of Ngc to reset my pin. I cant restore it through system restore which leaves it unaffected. Although I know previous versions of the folder do contain the deleted files, I have no way to restore them, copy them or save them anywhere on my PC.

Is there any way I can still restore these files, or make Windows re-create them from scratch?

All my user specific files are still there, and the user still exists, I just cant log on to it.

I'm on Windows 10 2004, build 19041.450

:)

kisokos03, Aug 25, 2020

2. User accounts / login screen

Hello, I have two issues and I suspect they are related.

I am using Windows 10 version 1909.

Ultimately, I want to disable the login screen when starting windows.

I have unchecked the box that asks for a password under netplwiz, and unchecked the box for password login under power and sleep settings.

I am still asked to login when I start windows. I suspect this is because there are two user accounts.

One user account is just user, which is what I use. The other is my name, John, which I must have set up when I was installing windows and I don't remember the password for.

I tried to delete the John account so it would just login automatically to the user account, but when I go under user accounts after typing in systempropertiesadvanced under the run command, I don't see this "John" account.

So in short, I have done all the things that a simple google search would suggest for me to disable the logon screen following a restart, but to no avail. I suspect this is because of a second user account for which I don't know the password, but I can't seem to find this account anywhere to delete it.

Any suggestions? Thank you for your time!

greenevening, Aug 25, 2020
  3. ATIonion Win User
    login screens

goto CONTROL PANEL/ USER ACCOUNTS then you have to remove all the other accounts except for the one you logon with....then restart...it should bypass the login tho it will still show the screen for it...it will continue to load windows...good luck*Rockout :rockout:

edit:: it asks for a login when there are more then one accounts..or if you set a pw to your login name...

ATIonion, Aug 25, 2020
  4. User account missing from login screen

Main User Account missing, I need to restore

I don't know what I did but the main user account (and another) is missing at the login screen. I managed to create an administrator's account which is visible but I can't see the other user accounts at login or in the user accounts control panel. I've activated and verified that the missing user accounts are active by using net user "username" /active:yes command prompt. The user's folder's are still on the hard drive. Any suggestions?

Werewolf195, Aug 25, 2020
Thema:

User account missing from login screen

1. User account missing from login screen - Similar Threads - User account missing

2. Other User Icon Missing from Login Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Other User Icon Missing from Login Screen: I am just so frustrated right now.I got a new computer, it came with Windows 11, I am trying to access my work account, so I did the Access Work or School Account under the settings. Then tried to change users like on my old computer, and there is no Other User Icon on the...
  3. Other User Icon Missing from Login Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Other User Icon Missing from Login Screen: I am just so frustrated right now.I got a new computer, it came with Windows 11, I am trying to access my work account, so I did the Access Work or School Account under the settings. Then tried to change users like on my old computer, and there is no Other User Icon on the...
  4. Other User Icon Missing from Login Screen

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Standard users missing from login screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Standard users missing from login screen: Since a system update to build 19042.906 earlier this week, only the administrator user is shown on the login screen. Windows 10 Home Reported fixes don't work. Adding new users doesn't help. Unupdated laptop works OK Can you advise. Thanks...
  6. User account missing from login screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User account missing from login screen: I cant log in to my main user profile. Previously I had an issue where I was getting notifications saying to set up Windows Hello, although I already had a pin, and when I tried to create a pin, it would ask for my pin to verify identity then the window would just close....
  7. User profile missing from login screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    User profile missing from login screen: I cant log in to my main user profile. Previously I had an issue where I was getting notifications saying to set up Windows Hello, although I already had a pin, and when I tried to create a pin, it would ask for my pin to verify identity then the window would just close....
  8. ‎"Other user" option is missing from Login Screen

‎"Other user" option is missing from Login Screen: So this morning I have installed a new Windows 10 on a Laptop. And after Windows 10 installation, I install my O365 software to this laptop and connect my work account with this Laptop then enable Ctrl+Alt+Del Login. Then after that I reboot the Laptop, an after I press...
  9. ‎Oher user option missing from Login Screen

‎Oher user option missing from Login Screen: So this morning I have installed a new Windows 10 on a Laptop. And after Windows 10 installation, I install my O365 software to this laptop and connect my work account with this Laptop then enable Ctrl+Alt+Del Login. Then after that I reboot the Laptop, an after I press...
  10. user accounts missing from logon screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    user accounts missing from logon screen: I have several user accounts on my laptop but after updating recently only about half of them now appear on my logon screen.The accounts still show in the users folder and are in the NETUSER list but they don't show in NETPLWIZ box.I have seen articles that suggest this can...