Windows 10: User Account Question

Discus and support User Account Question in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello, I've just purchased a used computer running Windows 10 Pro. It has under C: Users a folder named "Keith" from the previous owner. How can I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by MarcHoppe, Apr 13, 2016.

1. MarcHoppe Win User

User Account Question

Hello,
    I've just purchased a used computer running Windows 10 Pro. It has under C: Users a folder named "Keith" from the previous owner. How can I change that folder to my name ? I've created a new User Account in my name and have logged in using that but the Keith folder is still there and a folder for my new account is not there. Can someone please help me get the user folder in my name or have my new user account folder show up please ? Thank you....or I could just change my name to Keith........*Tongue

:)

MarcHoppe, Apr 13, 2016
  2. embarr Win User

Window users account questions

I had to rebuild with keep files option to get my PC working again. My PC after the update from Microsoft crashed my computer doing that blue stop error screen error.

I now feel something is off and not working right cause I had 2 users accounts over sudden. At finishing the rebuild only had one until another update then when the PC came back up I had 2. So the following info is from a command promt someone said to
    do.

Any one can tell me if its OK or am I on the wrong account? Its says administrator only and I cant give my account a name as I could before crash when I first set up the PC.

Also, I worry about the password expiring part. Is that OK or is my PC compromised?

Thanks for anyhelp given.

Copied info follows:

Trying with the User name command it showed the following for first account.

C;\Users\Administrator>net user “administrator”

User name Administrator

Full Name Spot was blank

Comment Built-in account for administering the computer domain

Users comment Spot was blank

Country/region code 000 (System Default)

Account active yes

Account expires never

Password last set 3/10/2018 4:28:14 PM

Password expires 4/10/2018 same time listed

Password changeable same as set date

Password required yes

User may change password yes

Workstation allowed All

Logon script was blank

User profile was blank

Home directory was blank

Last log on 3/23/2018 1:00;16 Pm

Logon hours allowed All

Local group memberships *Administrators

Global Group membership *None

The command completed successfully.

Then user account list full way it said the following:

Account type=522

Description=Built-in account for administering the computer /domain

Disabled=False

Domain=Desktop (had numbers not adding in case of identifying security safety)

FullName= was blank

InstallDate was blank

LocalAccount=TRUE

Lockout=FALSE

Name=Administrator

PassworChangable=TRUE

PasswordExpire=TRUE

PassworRequired=TRUE

SID=S- had numbers (not adding in case of identifying security safety)

SIDType+1

Status=OK

embarr, Apr 13, 2016
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Windows 10 User Account question..

Barbara,

You are mixing up some terms so I hope you don't mind if I explain a few things before addressing your questions.

1 A user account can be

- Local [i.e. it exists only on the computer] or

- MSAccount-linked [i.e. you have an MSAccount and you have chosen to use that to sign in to your computer as well]

The choice of local / MSAccount-linked has no bearing on whether or not an account is an Admin-level one.

2 A user account can be a

- Standard user account [you have to put in an Admin account's password in order to do some tasks such as installing software]

- Admin-level user account [you have to confirm permission to proceed in a Yes/No dialog box in order to do some tasks such as installing software]

The choice of Standard / Admin has no bearing on whether an account is local or MSAccount-linked.

3 Even if your user account is an Admin one, when you sign into it, you are treated as a Standard user. You will only see the difference when you get challenged during, for example, installations -

- a Standard user would have to put in an Admin account's password to give permission to proceed, whilst

- an Admin user would just have to click OK to give permission to proceed.

When permission to proceed is given, it applies only to the task stated in the permissions dialog.

4 In Settings, Accounts, Your info you will see whether the currently logged in user account is Local or email address [meaning MSAccount-linked] and whether it is Standard or Admin.

5 In Settings, Accounts, Family & other people you should see all the other user accounts on the computer. The list identifies them as Admin / Standard and Local / email address [meaning MSAccount-linked].
    This list does not include the currently logged in user account.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

6 "Went to Settings (My info) and it had "Administrator". Went to Family / Other people and it had "Local Account". So what do I have- a Local Account (which is a regular user/non administrative) or a Administrative account?"
    - you are comparing apples & pears here. Your info only showed you the currently logged in user account whilst
    Family etc only showed you all the other user accounts on the computer.

7 There is no such thing as a dual account. If, as I suspect, you just want to be ready to give Admin permission to proceed when installing software etc then you are already set up that way. That is how Windows works - an Admin user logs in and is treated
    as a Standard user until Admin permission is required for anything at which stage the dialog asking for permission to proceed appears and you can click on OK. Since the permission applies only to the task identified in the permissions dialog, you remain in
    Standard user mode for all other tasks. So you can give Admin permission to run an installation but carry on with whatever else you are doing as a Standard user.

8 You are correct in stating that Windows 10 Home does not have the Local Users and Groups facility. We have
    Settings, Accounts and Control panel**, User accounts. [** Right-click on the
    Start button then select Control panel. It can also be handy setting the
    View to in the upper right of the Control panel window to Small icons so that you can see everything at once.] We also have a set of
    net user commands we can enter in Command prompt windows but these need to be studied properly as using them improperly can cause all sorts of problems.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

9 It can be risky only having a single Admin account on the computer. If the "user profile" gets corrupted then you might not be able to sign in to the computer at all. It is useful to create an additional password-protected user account [in
    Settings, Accounts, Family & other people] then make it Admin - you create the new account then click on its entry [still in
    Settings, Accounts, Family & other people], select
    Change account type
    and make it an Admin account. Make sure you write the password down somewhere as you might not use that account for years if ever.

Has this answered everything for you?

Denis

Tryx3, Apr 13, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

User Account Question

dalchina, Apr 14, 2016
  5. MarcHoppe Win User
    Thanks for the reply but the account I created yesterday is the only one showing up in User Accounts. Owner/Keith does not show. All I want to do is change the folder name in the Users folder to my name. If it's going to be complicated I'll just live with everything going into the folder named keith.......

MarcHoppe, Apr 14, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, if you created a new user with a different identity, I find it hard to understand how there cannot be a folder with the name you specified.

For example, I log in with a live id (email and password) and my user folders are under my first name.

Please try this experiment:
    Launch explorer.
    In the address bar type
    %Appdata%
    Now click the address bar, and copy and paste what you see.

Mine's
    C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming
    which includes my first name.

Does yours include Keith or sthg you have entered?

We need to be sure what's going on before deleting sthg that would make things difficult!

dalchina, Apr 14, 2016
  7. MarcHoppe Win User
    Mine shows as Marc Hoppe\AppData\Roaming but it looks like the account was placed on the Desktop not in the Users Folder although there is not folder on the desktop and everything is still going in to the 'keith' folders
    User Account Question [​IMG]

MarcHoppe, Apr 15, 2016
  8. MarcHoppe Win User

User Account Question

Ok I've added a shortcut to my user account on my desktop but it's still not showing in C: Users

MarcHoppe, Apr 15, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, Something is clearly corrupted if you can't (apparently) correctly create a new user account, and there must be sthg pointing you to the Keith folders- perhaps an environmental variable. Hopefully you will see Keith in one of the following to explain one part of what you're seeing.

It could be helpful if you can give your complete literal paths for the following environmental variables:

Variable My path Your path %HOMEPATH% C:\Users\David %APPDATA% C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming %ALLUSERSPROFILE% C:\ProgramData %LOCALAPPDATA% C:\Users\David\AppData\Local %PUBLIC% C:\Users\Public %USERNAME% David %USERPROFILE% C:\Users\David To evaluate %USERNAME% & %USERPROFILE% open a command prompt and type
    echo %USERNAME%
    echo %USERPROFILE%

Also right click on Documents, click Properties, click Location, and post the complete path you see.

If not obvious from this, this is looking like you need help from someone who's dealt with such issues in more depth.

dalchina, Apr 15, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    My advice to people who bought a used computer has always been this................... do a Clean Install.
    Regardless of how trustworthy the seller is, you do not want to inherit the "baggage" that comes with the computer.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

Before you do a clean install...........................
    Backup the files you want to keep first.
    Do a System Image backup using the Windows 10 own built-in program, or the "de facto" Macrium Reflect so dearly recommended by majority of our members.

davidhk, Apr 15, 2016
  11. MarcHoppe Win User
    Ummmm thanks guys. I'll just leave things the way they are. The story behind this computer is it was refurbished by an Authorized Microsoft Refurbisher but before the owner could use it he passed away. It was then purchased at an estate sale and I bought it from that person. There is almost nothing on the drive except Office 2013 which I did not get a reinstall disk for (it appears to be a legitimate install). I've installed a license for Bitdefender Total Security 2016 ( I have this on four other computers and love it). I've done a complete system scan and it's clean. So since all I'm going to ask of this computer is to check e-mail, surf the net and maybe do some spreadsheets I think I'll just leave things the way they are. It's not that big of as deal the folder is named Keith instead of Marc. I think the risk of messing something up doesn't justify the reward of having a folder in a different name. The system seems to be performing perfectly so if it ain't broke..............Anyway thanks a lot for the help. I appreciate it a great deal. *Smile

MarcHoppe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

User Account Question

1. User Account Question - Similar Threads - User Account Question

2. Administrator and user accounts question

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Administrator and user accounts question: I recently had to reformat my hard drive, and I chose to use the Custom installation. Somehow I created a User account with a nickname that I use, and a Administrator account with my real name. When I installed Windows 10 a number of years ago I did it from scratch, and...
  3. Administrator and user accounts question

in Windows 10 Support
    Administrator and user accounts question: I recently had to reformat my hard drive, and I chose to use the Custom installation. Somehow I created a User account with a nickname that I use, and a Administrator account with my real name. When I installed Windows 10 a number of years ago I did it from scratch, and...
  4. User account question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User account question: I recently got a new hard drive after my last one broke and had to install windows on it. While I was installing it asked for my Microsoft account to finish setting up, I couldn't remember mine so I used my dad's old one. A little while later I got my account righted and...
  5. Question about user accounts/security

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about user accounts/security: Windows recommends a standard user account. All these years I have been installing and using the main default account you create when you fresh install windows 10. I heard that this is possibly not safe? I know there is a hidden "Administrator" account and I assumed that was...
  6. Question: User Account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question: User Account: I have read many places that we should not use windows logged in as a Administrator. I made a new user account for myself. I am the only one using my laptop. I just want to know weather I have to keep things like this ? I feel that the admin account is just going a waste....
  7. Question re User Account Control settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Question re User Account Control settings: I have a couple of applications that every time I launch them Windows asks that I grant permission to allow the application to make changes to my computer. The slider under User Account Control settings makes the decision to grant access an all or nothing choice, that is to...
  8. Remove User Account Picture Followup Question

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Remove User Account Picture Followup Question: There seems to be very little activity in the Customization forum so I am posting here hoping not to get admonished : ) I tried this method outlined here last year with out any success (1703) though that was before @Ten Forward 's comments. Has anyone tried this lately...
  9. Remove User Account Picture Followup Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove User Account Picture Followup Question: There seems to be very little activity in the Customization forum so I am posting here hoping not to get admonished : ) I tried this method outlined here last year with out any success (1703) though that was before @Ten Forward 's comments. Has anyone tried this lately...
  10. User names and microsoft accounts, and a OneDrive question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User names and microsoft accounts, and a OneDrive question: Hello, I am revamping my system as I migrate to Win 10 Microsoft encourages us to use our Microsoft account to sign in. I do have such an account because I have an Office 365 account I have a desktop and two laptops (one is my wife's) on our home network and would...