Windows 10: User account somehow got renamed and now it requests a password.

Discus and support User account somehow got renamed and now it requests a password. in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I dis a fresh install of windows about a year ago, for which I chose to only use a local user account (my license is granted by my employer, and I... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by VicMRH, Oct 18, 2019.

1. VicMRH Win User

User account somehow got renamed and now it requests a password.

I dis a fresh install of windows about a year ago, for which I chose to only use a local user account (my license is granted by my employer, and I don’t want my home and work accounts mixed up).
    Recently, the system started asking me for a password when I start the system up, but I made sure to leave the local account without a password so that anyone of my family members could use it (and it did work like that for a year).
    Now, I know that this account wasn’t created by somebody else because the name is my video gaming nickname.
    What could’ve happened?

:)

VicMRH, Oct 18, 2019
  2. Arul_D Win User

I can't rename my user account

Hello Owen,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Are you using a Microsoft account or local account?
    If you are using local account, I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the user name.

Please follow the steps to rename the user account in Windows 10.

a. In the search box, type user accounts and click on User Accounts.

b. Click on “Change your account name”

c. If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on Yes.

d. Enter the new user name.

e. Click on change name.

If you face any more issues while working with Windows do post on Microsoft Community Forum.

Arul_D, Oct 18, 2019
  3. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Oct 18, 2019
  4. User account somehow got renamed and now it requests a password.

Rename user account in Windows 10

Hello Michael,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We do understand your concern and we will be happy to help you regarding this.

Please answer the below questions:

• The account which you were using before, was it a Microsoft account?
    • Did you download the game from Windows store?

If you were using local account, I request you to try the below steps to get that back.

• Select the Start button, then select Settings.

• Select Accounts > Your email and accounts > Sign in with a local account instead.

• Enter the Hotmail account password and follow the steps to change the Microsoft account to local account.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Oct 18, 2019
Thema:

User account somehow got renamed and now it requests a password.

1. User account somehow got renamed and now it requests a password. - Similar Threads - User account somehow

2. Request to change my account password to the previous one, or change the user-set password...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Request to change my account password to the previous one, or change the user-set password...: Dear Microsoft Support Team,I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to express my sincere concern regarding the recent mandatory password change for my Microsoft account. For the past decade, I have used a seven-character password without any issues. However, during...
  3. User Account got kicked an now cannot login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Account got kicked an now cannot login: Hello Microsoft Community,i have a problem regarding a Microsoft Surface Go.I was in the safe mode to test some settings and wanted to restart the device.After the restart the User got disabled with the name Administrator and currently neither i nor do the IT Tema know how to...
  4. User Account got kicked an now cannot login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Account got kicked an now cannot login: Hello Microsoft Community,i have a problem regarding a Microsoft Surface Go.I was in the safe mode to test some settings and wanted to restart the device.After the restart the User got disabled with the name Administrator and currently neither i nor do the IT Tema know how to...
  5. Renamed User account, now want to rename its folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Renamed User account, now want to rename its folder: I renamed a User account by using netplwiz. It was all good - the user can easily login and see all his files. Now I need to rename C:\User\<name> folder accordingly, but it does not work. The user cannot see his files upon logging in. I believe that there must be...
  6. user account requiring username and password now

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    user account requiring username and password now: Curious. For many months when I turn on my laptop I have entered a four-digit PIN. Recently I did something and now my computer starts by asking me to enter a username and password. If I hit "OK" then I see to the lower left the names of two user accounts (they are...
  7. Rename the user account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Rename the user account: I have several PC's with my user name under C:\users\ being correct. But on one machine it is not correct and I would like to change it. I am not able to find out how to do that....
  8. Requesting user password change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Requesting user password change: Turned on my computer today and on the first screen it says that the user's password must be changed before signing in. It has never happened before. What password? I've even tried system restore but getting nowhere! Help, I need my computer for the weekend! Rob...
  9. Renaming User Accounts and their folders

Renaming User Accounts and their folders: In a short while I will be purchasing a Windows 10 PC, but I am not sure if I'll be able to tell them I want to install Win10 myself or if they'll do it for me. The point is, all the software I've collected, executables and all, is stored in my present Windows 7 folder:...
  10. Okay to rename user accounts?

Okay to rename user accounts?: I have just deployed a customised Windows 10 Pro x64 1607 image with six user accounts pre done as part of the SysPrep. I'd like to use this to reinstall on my sister's PC, too. She only needs four users, but they aren't included in my six (different family). As there's...