Windows 10: User account types

Discus and support User account types in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I upgraded my laptop automatically to Windows 10 a long time ago, but I just finished my new build, and I've been dealing with security settings, admin... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by rolldog, Nov 15, 2016.

1. rolldog Win User

User account types

I upgraded my laptop automatically to Windows 10 a long time ago, but I just finished my new build, and I've been dealing with security settings, admin privileges, local account, Microsoft account, etc trying to get everything working seamlessly, and I'm hoping someone can answer this one question for me.

When installing Windows 10 on a new PC, and when given the option for the type of account to setup, are there any advantages/disadvantages to use a Microsoft Account vs a Local Account, or vise versa? Are there any specific reasons why I should choose one over the other? It just seems to me like if I setup a Local Account, then none of my information is synchronized between my PCs, which might prevent issues from spreading from one PC to another. After choosing the type of account to use, is it difficult to switch the account type down the road?

:)

rolldog, Nov 15, 2016
  2. J Curran Win User

creating new user account types or allowing a user to run executables

How can I configure a new user account type with permissions in between standard and administrator in Windows 10? Or, how can I allow a user to run executables without being an administrator in Windows 10?

I am an investment advisor. Daily, an admin support person needs to download an executable file with my client's account information, run the executable, and then import it in order to update our software with client account info. This was not a problem
    until this weekend when my computer decided to upgrade itself to Windows 10. Now, when the support person tries to run the executable, they are blocked and an administrator has to enter a password to enable this. It is not practical for me to enable that
    daily. I need to allow the support person to be able to run executable files, but I do not want to give them full administrator privileges allowing them to access everything on the computer. The name of the executable files changes daily (based on the date),
    so enabling it for one file on one day does not fix the problem for the next day.

Can someone please help me to set up this user so that he can run executable files (with different names every day) but without allowing full administrator privileges?

J Curran, Nov 15, 2016
  3. Mohan B P Win User
    creating new user account types or allowing a user to run executables

Hi,

I realize that you are facing the issue in user account.

As per your query, I like to inform you that; we cannot create a user account in Windows 10, with the features you have mentioned above.

We can have only two types of user account in Windows 10;

• Standard account: If you are logged on to Windows with a standard account, you can do everything that you can do with an administrator account, but actions such as installing software or changing security settings,
      Windows might ask you to provide a password for an administrator account.

• Administrator account: If you are logged on to Windows with a administrator account, you can do everything, even the actions such as installing software or changing security settings and control other user accounts.
    I suggest you to send a feedback to Microsoft regarding this feature. Type
    Feedback on Search bar and go to Feedback app.

I hope the given information is helpful. Kindly write back to us for further assistance on Windows.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, Nov 15, 2016
  4. Try3 Win User

User account types

There are fewer things that might go wrong with a local user account.
    • A local user account might develop a user profile fault.
    • An MSAccount might develop a user profile fault or it might suffer from some account / password online synchronisation problem

You can switch the account to an MSAccount later on if you wanted. But you could also consider keeping your local user account as your day-to-day account and then adding an additional account to link to your MSAccount. That way, you could have the convenience of an MSAccount when you wanted it but could switch back into a local account at any time.

Make sure that you have at least one password-protected Admin-level account
    • that is a local user account
    and
    • that is in addition to whichever account you end up using for your day-to-day activities.
    By doing so you are protected against the risk of your day-to-day account developing user profile faults. If your day-to-day account ever starts failing to log on & you get allowed in with a temporary profile then you can just log on with this additional Admin-level account to get back full access to your computer.

Denis

Thema:

User account types

1. User account types - Similar Threads - User account types

2. Windows 11 User Settings/Account types

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 User Settings/Account types: I'm curious Windows 11 how do I go about editing the Account type permissions, or creating my own custom account type? With my own permissions. Currently Standard account type does weird things. It prevents people from using Gmail but will allow them to install anything they...
  3. Windows 11 User Settings/Account types

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 User Settings/Account types: I'm curious Windows 11 how do I go about editing the Account type permissions, or creating my own custom account type? With my own permissions. Currently Standard account type does weird things. It prevents people from using Gmail but will allow them to install anything they...
  4. Cannot type PIN into User Account Control

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type PIN into User Account Control: Suddenly every time I go to do something Windows 11, the User Account Control Window appears asking for a PIN, but I cannot actually type in the PIN. I've tried more than one keyboard and they all work fine otherwise anyway. Have only recently begun using Windows 11....
  5. Cannot type PIN into User Account Control

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot type PIN into User Account Control: Suddenly every time I go to do something Windows 11, the User Account Control Window appears asking for a PIN, but I cannot actually type in the PIN. I've tried more than one keyboard and they all work fine otherwise anyway. Have only recently begun using Windows 11....
  6. Account Type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account Type: So I accidentally changed my account type from Administrator to Device owner and whenever I try to change it back it won't let me. I was just wondering if I could do anything to change it to Admin....
  7. Account Unknown user account from Local type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Account Unknown user account from Local type: Hello MS Community! - I'm having some issues regarding users on my PC, the problem basically is that there are 4 " Account Unknown " in my users profile all of them has different sizes, I'm currently only got 1 active account which I'm logged in and use as my main also,...
  8. cannot change type of user account.

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot change type of user account.: Hi, Please Help Me! When i creat a strandard account and i change it in administrator. Then i open it, my computer say to me"user profile service service failed the logon. user profile cannot be loaded". Then i close it and open my old strandard account and tried to...
  9. To change the user account type

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    To change the user account type: when I tried to change the user [ATTACH]account type it wont allowing me to change it. And when iam deleting the files in one user account and it will be also[ATTACH]deleted in another administrator account also....
  10. Types of sign in accounts... administrator or regular user??

in Windows 10 Customization
    Types of sign in accounts... administrator or regular user??: When I set up my new Pavilion desktop, I set up my profile account using my Gmail/ Microsoft account as an ADMINISTRATOR. When I try to access my Quicken account, I get a message that Quicken does not allow administrators to access accounts! So, I suppose I have to set up...