Windows 10: User accounts and Microsoft accounts

Discus and support User accounts and Microsoft accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Our genealogy club has a room with a few PCs that members may use to access online databases the club pays for. With Windows 7, members use a flash... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by tarascon, Sep 23, 2015.

1. tarascon Win User

User accounts and Microsoft accounts

Our genealogy club has a room with a few PCs that members may use to access online databases the club pays for. With Windows 7, members use a flash drive for data transfer between their home PC and a club PC.

If a member had a Microsoft account and could log in to a club PC with that account, OneDrive could be used instead of the (old-fashioned, clunky) flash drive.

But from what I can tell, the Windows 10 club PC would have to have an account already set up, that was connected to the Microsoft account. We'd have to define an account on each PC for each member who wanted to use OneDrive. That doesn't sound like a good idea after all.

Is there any way to use different Microsoft accounts from the same PC user account?

:)

tarascon, Sep 23, 2015

2. Confused user and microsoft accounts

Hi Safin,

We are glad to know that you were able to fix the issue on your own.

Thank you for sharing the resolution with us.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Sep 23, 2015
  3. Safin777 Win User
    Confused user and microsoft accounts

My ever helpful husband updated my laptop to windows 10. I was previously and happily on windows 7, having successfully avoided 8. I resigned myself to the upgrade but I can't make head nor tail of windows 10 yet and its taking me forever to find anything

Next he helpfully created user accounts on the same laptop. The laptop was previously without separate users. He couldn't find my microsoft account and set his own up. Mine was added later.

Now I find all "my" laptop stuff - documents, photos, desktop, everything basically, belongs to his account and I have no access to it from my account. I managed to reset my browser (Chrome was luckily signed in so that and saved data associated with it
    was movable). I changed his account from administrator to standard and upgraded mine to administrator.

How do I sort this mess out? Can I just go back to a point before the users were created and start again? Can we change names/microsoft accounts associated with each user?

Safin777, Sep 23, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Yep. Settings, then Accounts, then click on Sign in with a local account instead. That will remove the existing MS login and convert the account to use a local login. Then new person logs in on the local PC account, then goes to Settings, then Accounts, then clicks on something like Sign in a with a Microsoft account instead and converts the local account back to Microsoft login. Then before they sign out, they go back and convert it back to a local account.

You only asked if there was a way - not a practical way.

They can always just use the OneDrive website from Firefox or Edge or Internet Explorer to log into their personal OneDrive cloud. Personally, if it were me, I would rather just use a flash drive.

NavyLCDR, Sep 23, 2015
  5. XweAponX Win User
    Yah that would work, but then you will have to set up the Onedrive account too. It would take about 30 minutes for the account to populate into the PC, it took mine almost an hour, but mine is filled. I actually was moving a bunch of images from my Dropbox into the OneDrive, which had 40 more GBs. The files copied fast to OneDrive, but It took several days for the changes to reflect on the OneDrive and DropBox sites.

XweAponX, Sep 23, 2015
  6. tarascon Win User
    It's not sounding like the tie-in with Microsoft accounts is a good reason to upgrade to Windows 10, for our club computers. I'll keep looking.

tarascon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. User accounts and Microsoft accounts - Similar Threads - User accounts Microsoft

2. User account linked to wrong microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User account linked to wrong microsoft account: Sometime after making both my wife's computer and my computer discoverable and allowing them to share files, my wife's only user account on her computer was somehow linked to my microsoft account. It shows her user but my account in the settings app. How can I change this so...
  3. User account linked to wrong microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User account linked to wrong microsoft account: Sometime after making both my wife's computer and my computer discoverable and allowing them to share files, my wife's only user account on her computer was somehow linked to my microsoft account. It shows her user but my account in the settings app. How can I change this so...
  4. New Local User Account taken over Microsoft User Account'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Local User Account taken over Microsoft User Account': I had 2 Local Standard User Accounts and1 Microsoft Administrator Account. I wanted tosign in with any of these accounts but Microsoft Account was blocking access to signing in with the Local Accounts. I tried to change sign in to the Microsoft Account by switching to one of...
  5. New Local User Account taken over Microsoft User Account'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Local User Account taken over Microsoft User Account': I had 2 Local Standard User Accounts and1 Microsoft Administrator Account. I wanted tosign in with any of these accounts but Microsoft Account was blocking access to signing in with the Local Accounts. I tried to change sign in to the Microsoft Account by switching to one of...
  6. switch Microsoft account used on a windows user account,

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    switch Microsoft account used on a windows user account,: hi I was wondering if it's possible to switch what Microsoft account i use on my windows desktop account as i don't want to go through the pain of losing all my files and having to reinstall all my steam games. also will my windows key activated on this pc but also...
  7. Windows User accounts and microsoft accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows User accounts and microsoft accounts: Hi, My daughter added her microsoft account for school to my windows user account before I had added mine making it the default. I have added her as a user and put her Microsoft account on it. I would like to remove her Microsoft account off my user account but it doesn't...
  8. User folders and Microsoft account ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    User folders and Microsoft account ?: I have now changed so I log on with my Microsoft account. If I look in the Users folder there is NO folder with my MSAcount name ! On the other hand there IS a folder for the a user I way back used - I think that a local account - right ? How do I get rid of that - OR...
  9. User profile of a Microsoft account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User profile of a Microsoft account: Hi Using the web, how do I see the public profile of a user who has a Microsoft account live.it or outlook.com or outook.it? Thanks Bye 64612
  10. Connecting User Account to Microsoft Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Connecting User Account to Microsoft Account: Hello, I have done the upgrade for a few family members, connecting the accounts too with no issues at all, however, in one particular case, I ran into issues. The process started as it should do, and the window says it was currently doing the changes.... then the...