Windows 10: user accounts at windows start

Discus and support user accounts at windows start in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; When I reboot my computer there are two user accounts I can choose from (which we will call user1 and user2). I use user2, and user1 comes up by... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by mickeddie, Jul 24, 2017.

1. mickeddie Win User

user accounts at windows start

When I reboot my computer there are two user accounts I can choose from (which we will call user1 and user2). I use user2, and user1 comes up by default. When I run netplwiz there is only one user for this computer, and the user name is "test". Under this user account window I do not see either user1 or user2. When I open explorer and look in my "users" folder I see one folder that I think is the culprit, though the name is not neither user1 or user2. Can I just move this folder to another drive? And why doesn't the user folder name match what shows up at bootup?

Thank you,

Eddie G

:)

mickeddie, Jul 24, 2017

2. user accounts

Why does the second user on my computer not have access(no such interface) to windows. I get all the desktop icons and access to a working taskbar. He gets two icons and powershell, how do I get him access to the internet when nothing is there. yes he
    has a Microsoft account, yes I've tried all of the settings, added, deleted and readded. still I get a nonresponsive desktop and can only access powershell. What can I do to get him access to the internet with his own account?

jessicaharrison413, Jul 24, 2017
  3. User Accounts

All three of us are already local users and the box that says 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this
    computer' box in netplwiz is ticked. I see that it says that checking this box means that it won't open up a particular users account, but it does.

Another irritation - I don't like Edge browser because despite setting my own Home page, when I click the 'home' button (which I added) I DON'T return to my home page (even though my own home page opens correctly when I launch the browser). I therefore reverted
    back to IE (which I like anyway so why would I change?) and set that as my default browser. However, when I click any link, say in an email, I am constantly asked what app I wish to use. I select 'IE' and check the box that says 'always do this' but it never
    registers my selection as the next link I click I get the same response. Very annoying.

sputnikdinsdale III, Jul 24, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

If you open a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) and run:
    net users

What do you get as a result?

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063] (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>net users User accounts for \\JOHN-LAPTOP ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Administrator DefaultAccount Guest John The command completed successfully.[/quote] Also, one way that will remove "ghost" accounts is to run netplwiz. Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." Click apply. Then click Cancel on the window that pops up. Then click apply again and OK.

NavyLCDR, Jul 24, 2017
  5. mickeddie Win User
    Ok - let me restate my situation with actual names - when I reboot my machine the default user account is "eddie". I have to manually change it to another user, "mypc". Under my User folder in explorer there are two folders for users, "eddie" and "test". Test is the administrator account and is tied to the "mypc" at log in.

When I run netplwiz and the "net users" at command prompt all I see is "test" as administrator. I already have "user must enter user name..." unchecked, yet when I log in I'm asked for a password.

If you can help me, I would like to remove "eddie" from the machine and have the only user at log in as "mypc". Maybe a registry change? But registry changes scare me.

Also, any idea why the name under user accounts (test) is different than the one at windows start up (mypc)?

mickeddie, Jul 24, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Eddie, *Smile

How does it behave when you have "user must enter user name..." checked instead?

I'm thinking netplwiz may still be set for "mypc", and is why you're seeing what you do at sign in since "mypc" doesn't exist anymore.

Brink, Jul 24, 2017
  7. mickeddie Win User
    mickeddie, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. user accounts at windows start - Similar Threads - user accounts start

2. User visible on "User Accounts" but not on start-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User visible on "User Accounts" but not on start-up: Hello everyone,I have a problem with my windows computer, where the user account that I would like to log into is not visible on the start-up screen, but is clearly there on settings > Accounts > Other users, and "User Accounts".I would like to be able to sign into my account...
  3. User visible on "User Accounts" but not on start-up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User visible on "User Accounts" but not on start-up: Hello everyone,I have a problem with my windows computer, where the user account that I would like to log into is not visible on the start-up screen, but is clearly there on settings > Accounts > Other users, and "User Accounts".I would like to be able to sign into my account...
  4. User visible on "User Accounts" but not on start-up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 Safe Mode Starts with Other User account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 Safe Mode Starts with Other User account: Hi, I have the popular only log-in with Other User option on the start-up screen. I have been trying to start the computer on Safe Mode, using the Shift + Restart menu. However, after clicking on Restart after Start-up Options, I still see the Other User log-in screen....
  6. Windows 10 Start Screen Account User Photo

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Start Screen Account User Photo: I deleted my photo in account, personal info, and now the Lock Screen background shows a black circle. How do I delete? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-screen-account-user-photo/f1bd6b32-eeb4-4769-bc78-25ab6c8b2bbc
  7. Unwanted user account in start window can't be deleted

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unwanted user account in start window can't be deleted: When I restart Windows 10, I get two user accounts on my startup screen. The first is my name and I use a pin to log in. The second I have never created and shows up first on startup. The user account does not show up in the Control Panel. I've tried to use the command...
  8. Windows User Account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows User Account: I have recently noticed a 'ghost' account on my Windows 10 HP a.i.o Desktop. When the sign in page opens it shows just one account, in my name but not with my photo. I input the 'correct' password, but am told it is not correct, I press OK and then up pops 2 accounts in...
  9. Windows User Accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows User Accounts: Hello everyone, I deleted my old User account and when i checked the user folder i saw its still exist. [ATTACH] Now when i checked the account list i dont see this name on the list [ATTACH] How can i remove this folder from my computer? thanks for the help. -Elhanan...
  10. Start Menu Closes if User Account Selected

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Closes if User Account Selected: Ok, so I am having a strange problem. In my PC's admin account, when I attempt to switch users by: Start Menu > (click user account) The start menu disappears / rolls back down. I cannot switch users this way, but this only affects my admin account. What can I do to make...