Windows 10: User Accounts / Shared Files

Discus and support User Accounts / Shared Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I work in a onsite department and one of are clients has a computer in one of their head employees office that they are also using as a server.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DonaldBlevins, Apr 14, 2021.

1. User Accounts / Shared Files

Hello, I work in a onsite department and one of are clients has a computer in one of their head employees office that they are also using as a server.

On the server computer they have a folder on his C drive called Shared that other computers inside the network can access. On the shared folder their is several sub folders.

They have a employee that needs access to only two sub folders that he has read/write permissions to stored inside of the Shared Folder and should not be able to see any of the other folders in the shared folder.

When trying to set this up I was able to get him access to the Shared folder by mapping a network drive to that location but he could just click Shared in the path directory and see all the folders and files stored in here rather then the two he needs access to.

To try to resolve this from the Computer they are using as the server I tried to edit the permissions of the shared folder but their was only a everyone user currently.

My colleague thinks we need to get all of the employees current usernames and passwords for their computers and set up a user from the server computer using this same information so we can remove the everyone group and give each user specific permissions.

The location I believe is all using Windows 10 computers and I was just wanting to see if that is what we need to do and are going about this the right way as a lot of research I have been doing is showing me a lot of methods I do not think is any longer supported on windows 10.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

:)

DonaldBlevins, Apr 14, 2021
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Apr 14, 2021
  3. DTG1 Win User
    Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

4. User Accounts / Shared Files

Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Apr 14, 2021
Thema:

User Accounts / Shared Files

1. User Accounts / Shared Files - Similar Threads - User Accounts Shared

2. Want to restrict standard user account to share any folder and sub-files, but admin account...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Want to restrict standard user account to share any folder and sub-files, but admin account...: I Want to Restrict the Standard User Account from Sharing Any folder and files but the Admin Account Can Share that folder and files.Till now I have used :- I'm Using Windows 11 pro edition Create a New User Group:In the Local Users and Groups window, right-click on "Groups"...
  3. Want to restrict standard user account to share any folder and sub-files, but admin account...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Want to restrict standard user account to share any folder and sub-files, but admin account...: I Want to Restrict the Standard User Account from Sharing Any folder and files but the Admin Account Can Share that folder and files.Till now I have used :- I'm Using Windows 11 pro edition Create a New User Group:In the Local Users and Groups window, right-click on "Groups"...
  4. File Sharing Network User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Sharing Network User: Hello! I'm trying to setup a file to be shared specifically between two users on different computers. I know how to share files across a network for everyone, and how to share the file with a user on the same computer. However, how do I get only those two users on different...
  5. File Sharing Network User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Sharing Network User: Hello! I'm trying to setup a file to be shared specifically between two users on different computers. I know how to share files across a network for everyone, and how to share the file with a user on the same computer. However, how do I get only those two users on different...
  6. File Sharing Network User

7. Sharing My User Account Folder in File Explorer Shares the Entire \Users Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sharing My User Account Folder in File Explorer Shares the Entire \Users Folder: When using net share Steve=C:\Users\Steve /grant:Steve,FULL a new share named Steve pointing to C:\Users\Steve is created as I'd expect.However, if I share my user account folder C:\Users\Steve using File Explorer, a new share named Users is created which points to C:\Users,...
  8. Sharing My User Account Folder in File Explorer Shares the Entire \Users Folder

Sharing My User Account Folder in File Explorer Shares the Entire \Users Folder: When using net share Steve=C:\Users\Steve /grant:Steve,FULL a new share named Steve pointing to C:\Users\Steve is created as I'd expect.However, if I share my user account folder C:\Users\Steve using File Explorer, a new share named Users is created which points to C:\Users,...
  9. Is my Admin user account "Shared"? Or Not? With Whom?

Is my Admin user account "Shared"? Or Not? With Whom?: When I go to PC\Local Disk (C:)\USERS\Admin\Properties\Sharing tab, in the "Network File and Folder Sharing" box, there is a folder icon named, "admin Shared" (Network Path: \\Dell\Users\admin) Below that is a "SHARE" button. If "admin" is "Shared", why is there a "Share"...
  10. Network File Sharing - Different Users

Network File Sharing - Different Users: I'm trying to understand the latest W10 ver. 1803 network file sharing, like I've been trying to do with all other Windows versions since Windows began. I think I've boiled it down to a simple question: There are two networked computers named "BLUE" and "YELLOW". Blue has...