Windows 10: User control access, NETPLWIZ, admin accounts

Discus and support User control access, NETPLWIZ, admin accounts in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am running Win10, home user version, build 18363. I am listed as an administrator, but I cannot do any of the functions, troubleshooting, etc. When I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MCH_226, Mar 8, 2020.

1. MCH_226 Win User

User control access, NETPLWIZ, admin accounts

I am running Win10, home user version, build 18363. I am listed as an administrator, but I cannot do any of the functions, troubleshooting, etc. When I run NETPLWIZ or o to control panel and try to change the account type the User Access Control screen pops up and says to continue, type an administrator password,, and then click yes. However, no box pops up so I can enter the password and even if there was, the "yes" box in the UAC is gray out and not functioning. When I try to go to into safe mode or try any function to answer the problem the UAC pops up again, with same results. It appears as though I am a guest user and have no access. How do I change this. As a side note, I am running O365 home user.

:)

MCH_226, Mar 8, 2020
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Netplwiz deleted my Admin account!

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

• Are both the accounts listed under Advance User Accounts Control Panel (Netplwiz)?

If yes, to convert your main account to an administrator account, you may try any of the methods listed below.

Method 1

From Control Panel:

1. Login to the new account (which is currently the admin account).
    2. Open ‘Control Panel’ and click on ‘Change
      account type’.
    3. Select the main account (which is currently the standard one).
    4. Click on ‘Change the account type’ link.
    5. Select ‘Administrator’ and then click ‘Change Account Type’.

Method 2

From Advance User Accounts Control panel:

1. Login to the new account (which is currently the admin account).
    2. Press ‘Win + R’ keys together on the keyboard to open the Run dialog and type the following into the Run box:
      netplwiz
    3. Select the main account (which is currently the standard one), click on ‘Properties’.
    4. Under ‘Group Membership’, select ‘Administrator’ and Apply the changes.

Note:

To make any prominent changes on the computer that seeks the admin privilege, we need to login as an administrator.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Mar 8, 2020
  3. kenkickr Win User
    Deleting User Accounts

If you can access the admin account through safe mode then all you have to do to remove the other account passwords is go into User Accounts in the control panel and either delete the accounts or, I'm not sure, remove the account passwords.

kenkickr, Mar 8, 2020
  4. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Mar 8, 2020
Thema:

1. User control access, NETPLWIZ, admin accounts - Similar Threads - User control access

2. Account gone from netplwiz user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account gone from netplwiz user: I changed my name in netplwiz and my acc in the list is gone and I'm stuck at the password input display. I can't log in after I enter the password. If I press reset password it will say "This feature requires removable media, such as a USB flash drive. Please connect a USB...
  3. Account gone from netplwiz user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Account gone from netplwiz user: I changed my name in netplwiz and my acc in the list is gone and I'm stuck at the password input display. I can't log in after I enter the password. If I press reset password it will say "This feature requires removable media, such as a USB flash drive. Please connect a USB...
  4. Changed my User Account "Privilege" to Owner using netplwiz and have lost all admin access....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed my User Account "Privilege" to Owner using netplwiz and have lost all admin access....: Within netplwiz there is "Other" option. I looked at it just seeing what was there and noticed the Owner second selection, which gives a description of Full control of everything, basically. So, I chose it.Now, I am incapable of accessing anything requiring Admin Priv. Any...
  5. Changed my User Account "Privilege" to Owner using netplwiz and have lost all admin access....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed my User Account "Privilege" to Owner using netplwiz and have lost all admin access....: Within netplwiz there is "Other" option. I looked at it just seeing what was there and noticed the Owner second selection, which gives a description of Full control of everything, basically. So, I chose it.Now, I am incapable of accessing anything requiring Admin Priv. Any...
  6. User Account Control and Admin Approval mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Account Control and Admin Approval mode: In GPedit I set User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval mode to Disable, but that can be change by the User Account Control slider in the User Account Control Settings, how do I disable the slider function or make make the Approval mode read only. It...
  7. Admin Access and Netplwiz command

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Admin Access and Netplwiz command: I am unable to access my downloaded programs or anything I download. I get the screen to run as admin but there is no place to enter password and no yes option. Only no. After researching online I find lots of solutions but none work for me. One example is using the...
  8. Admin access to users accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Admin access to users accounts: Now that I've upgrade our main machine from xp64 to Win10, I am not trying to restore everyone profile stuff. However, even as admin I can't seem to access anyone's profile but mine. How can i access their profiles so I can load all their stuff back into them? It would...
  9. Netplwiz deleted my Admin account!

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Netplwiz deleted my Admin account!: Ok, so what happened was that I was using clipboard and on the bottom it had a note that I could transfer clipboard through devices. I tried logging in with my account, but it said it was already in use, so make another one with my other email. Then it changed the name (Of...
  10. User Account Control will not change in non-admin accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Account Control will not change in non-admin accounts: I have changed the UAC in my (Admin) account to turn it off. I have accounts for 3 other people, regular user accounts. On those regular accounts, if you try to start several of the games I have installed (LOTRO, Neverwinter, etc.) UAC stops the game from loading, asks if...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. help with user account control in windows 10 NETPLCWIZ