Windows 10: User desktop and switching users

Discus and support User desktop and switching users in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After upgrading from Win 7 64 to Win 10 64, whenever a different user logs into the computer the desktop gets screwed up for the original user. Both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mgculver, Sep 24, 2015.

1. mgculver Win User

User desktop and switching users

After upgrading from Win 7 64 to Win 10 64, whenever a different user logs into the computer the desktop gets screwed up for the original user. Both accounts are admin accounts; one has a password, the does not.

Has anyone else seen this and does anyone know how to fix it?

Thx

:)

mgculver, Sep 24, 2015
  2. Lucas_Gi Win User

Private and User Desktop Switched Places

While trying to unzip a file that was on my desktop, to a file on my desktop, all of my files and folders disappeared leaving just my applications and shortcuts. I went to C:/Users/Jgo/Desktop and all of my files and folders were there but not my applications
    and shortcuts. I went to C:/Users/Public/Public Desktop and saw just my applications and shortcuts. When I close/minimize all of my windows to see the desktop I don't see my files so Windows is now using my Public Desktop instead of the proper one. What happened
    and how do I fix this?

Lucas_Gi, Sep 24, 2015
  3. Lucas_Gi Win User
    Private and User Desktop Switched Places

The location is correct, I looked at the link you gave me and followed the steps and the Desktop file in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders is exactly what it's supposed to be but my Desktop still shows
    the private desktop.

Lucas_Gi, Sep 24, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Sep 24, 2015
  5. mgculver Win User
    Mark this one as resolved. I am having to reinstall everything due to getting slammed with the ransom virus so I'll have to recreate the system. I'm not going to allow a second user so it has become academic.

Thanks for your reply.

mgculver, Sep 24, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Sorry to hear that. I hope this new installation will do better for you.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. User desktop and switching users - Similar Threads - User desktop switching

2. "switch user"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "switch user": I was just working on my borther's win 10 laptop, to I add a user profile for me on it, but when I when to the power button to "swith" to the id the "switch user" item/entry was not there --- what did I miss? Thanks...
  3. "switch user"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "switch user": I was just working on my borther's win 10 laptop, to I add a user profile for me on it, but when I when to the power button to "swith" to the id the "switch user" item/entry was not there --- what did I miss? Thanks...
  4. Other users are not shown on switch user

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Other users are not shown on switch user: I have a Acer Aspire E 15 E5-576G-5762 laptop with Windows Home 10 64 bit ver 20H2OS Build 19042.985 "as a Standalone home use Machine". I have already read and followed all instructions to resolve this issue which exists for innumerable users but till date it remain...
  5. switch Public Desktopto user desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    switch Public Desktopto user desktop: In my work computer I have no permission to delete shortcuts on Public Deskop. Is there anyway to switch from public(default) desktop to user desktop. OR hiding the public desktop shortcuts without permission? submitted by /u/mardar572 [link] [comments]...
  6. User switching

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User switching: I'm running W10 PRO on a desktop and I have the following problem: There are 2 users Both have admin rights and password User1 is logged in Taskmanager, tab users shows User1 Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and switch to User2 Taskmanager, tab users shows User1(disconnected) and...
  7. User switching

in Windows 10 Support
    User switching: I'm running W10 PRO on a desktop and I have the following problem: There are 2 users Both have admin rights and password User1 is logged in Taskmanager, tab users shows User1 Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and switch to User2 Taskmanager, tab users shows User1(disconnected) and...
  8. Switching User

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Switching User: When I CTRL+ALT+DEL to switch users, the screen goes blank; nothing happens. I must reboot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-user/05489d44-2c5e-4cbc-a03a-9f833829fabe
  9. Switching users

Switching users: I can't change usersctrl + alt + del, winkey + Start menu not working, but I can add new local users. Only last logged user is shown on windows login and switch user screen. I tried https://youtu.be/5qobIM7rvJM didn't work. What could it be?...
  10. Switch users

Switch users: Hi, I having a problem that when I want to switch a user,the logon user disconnect. I am using windows 10 1809 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switch-users/e0b39807-e827-4f98-8584-939850d0d643