Windows 10: User directory filled with odd files and missing others

Discus and support User directory filled with odd files and missing others in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My user directory has odd files in it. They look like system files and there were a lot more than now but I deleted them. I can't delete these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by D0_We11, Dec 17, 2019.

1. D0_We11 Win User

User directory filled with odd files and missing others

My user directory has odd files in it. They look like system files and there were a lot more than now but I deleted them. I can't delete these because Windows tells me they are in use by the system. Maybe that's why they look like system files. I have a picture of the directory here, if I can get it in. This is my first time using this and I'm hoping it goes OK. Anyway, here it is:

User directory filled with odd files and missing others 9577d652-a02f-4102-8083-71ccc80f9702?upload=true.png

Can anyone tell me why these are here and what I need to do get the directory back to normal? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

:)

D0_We11, Dec 17, 2019
  2. D0_We11 Win User

My user directory has odd files in it. They look like system files and there were a lot more than now but I deleted them. I can't delete these because Windows tells me they are in use by the system. Maybe that's why they look like system files. I have
    a picture of the directory here, if I can get it in. This is my first time using this and I'm hoping it goes OK. Anyway, here it is:

User directory filled with odd files and missing others 9577d652-a02f-4102-8083-71ccc80f9702?upload=true.png

Can anyone tell me why these are here and what I need to do get the directory back to normal? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

D0_We11, Jan 7, 2020
  3. D0_We11 Win User

I wanted to let you know I think I've solved the problem albeit a rather involved solution. What I did was reset Windows keeping user files and reinstalling most programs but this was a relatively recent installation of Windows so that helped some. Here
    is the final result:

User directory filled with odd files and missing others 64c9adb2-c19b-4e67-b908-f52d2ce165b2?upload=true.png

This looks like the user directory we're all so fond of seeing. I'm happy now and consider the matter resolved and thank all for their suggestions. This is my first use of this site but will probably be much more involved in future.

Thank You.

K E T

D0_We11, Jan 7, 2020
  4. Ashton W Win User

Hi D0_We11,

I am an independent advisor and a Microsoft user like you, and I am hoping to help you out with this.

The odd files you are seeing are indeed system files. You don't need to delete them as some of them are essential to keeping settings and preferences for the operating system.

You can change the setting to hide these files, and only show the "regular" folders.

1. Open File Explorer from the taskbar.

2. Select View > Options > Change folder and search options.

3. Select the View tab and, in Advanced settings, deselect "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" and press OK.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/402831...

I hope this has helped you. If this is not what you are looking for, please reply and let us know and we would be happy to look into providing some different suggestions!

Regards,

-Ashton

Ashton W, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

1. User directory filled with odd files and missing others - Similar Threads - User directory filled

2. Missing directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing directory: Windows 11Started my computer this afternoon, tried to open my primary working directory. File Manager does not show it. Tried the hidden files option with no luck. I did not delete it, but did a restore from the Recycle bin. Still does not show up. The path is...
  3. Missing directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing directory: Windows 11Started my computer this afternoon, tried to open my primary working directory. File Manager does not show it. Tried the hidden files option with no luck. I did not delete it, but did a restore from the Recycle bin. Still does not show up. The path is...
  4. Burning Mystery of missing file directories !!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Burning Mystery of missing file directories !!!: Gentlemen, a mini-catastrophe happened to my laptop Asus X751L - for no reason, all the files /documents in the "Documents" folder and in the "Downloads" folder have completely disappeared !!!... What is a probable reason for such an elimination/ erasing of the documents in...
  5. Burning Mystery of missing file directories !!!

Burning Mystery of missing file directories !!!: Gentlemen, a mini-catastrophe happened to my laptop Asus X751L - for no reason, all the files /documents in the "Documents" folder and in the "Downloads" folder have completely disappeared !!!... What is a probable reason for such an elimination/ erasing of the documents in...
  6. family and other users missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    family and other users missing: when I follow the instructions to add my daughter to my family on her computer, the "family and other users does not appear. What is the error and how can it be fixed?...
  7. family and other users missing

family and other users missing: when I follow the instructions to add my daughter to my family on her computer, the "family and other users does not appear. What is the error and how can it be fixed?...
  8. Windows 10 missing DLL files and other OS required filles

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 missing DLL files and other OS required filles: HI, I have a dell Optiplex 790 that was originally produced as a Windows 7 PC. I bougth it from Amazon and it had been Professionally and Microsoft approved Windws 10 Pro. That being said, Dell shut me off. Said there was nothing they could do period. and were not nice about...
  9. odd user porblem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    odd user porblem: so I used to be the admin account on my pc, with Jonst as the second account. i swapped my gpu then swapped it back again, and now the jonst account can't be logged into, but kept its files, and a new account called "administrator" is on my pc. "administrator" is an admin,...
  10. Other user option is missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Other user option is missing: Hello. My desktop doesn't show me 'other user' option. (What I mean is → https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/education/windows/images/autopilot-reset-customlogin.png) It has Windows 10 pro, and I need this option to access my company account. How can I make it appear?...