Windows 10: User file in C drive that is not a user file

Discus and support User file in C drive that is not a user file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been having a huge fight with this problem for a day or so and I'm losing and getting tired. So this is me asking for help. It all started a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SheIde51, Oct 9, 2019.

1. SheIde51 Win User

User file in C drive that is not a user file

I've been having a huge fight with this problem for a day or so and I'm losing and getting tired. So this is me asking for help.

It all started a few days ago when I received a notification from Windows that my account needed attending to. So I clicked on the notification and did what I was told to do. Then I noticed that Windows wanted me to sign-in again on the sign-in screen, which I hadn't done for some time. Then I noticed that in the bottom left corner of the sign-in screen there were two accounts listed, with different names, one of which I had never seen before. So I started looking at my accounts and anything peripheral to them for some explanation. I couldn't find anything. Then last evening I thought I would check out my C drive, Users, and there it was. It's full of files, many duplicate files from This PC and Quick Access. Looking closer I noticed it's a System file so deleting this so-called User seemed out of the question.

I would really appreciate some advice so I can fix this bleeping computer.

:)

SheIde51, Oct 9, 2019

2. User can't copy files from network share. Permission error.

Seems security essentials wasn't liking the file for the user for some odd reason. Thanks for your suggestions.

Hybrid_theory, Oct 9, 2019
  3. How to copy administrator user account

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the below steps to copy the user date and check if it helps.

Note: I suggest to create a new user profile and transfer user data to new account and delete or change the corrupt user profile.

Copy User Data: Follow the below steps to copy files to the new user profile

• Log on as a user other than the user whose profile you are copying files to or from.
    • In Windows Explorer, click View, and Check mark hidden files and folders, uncheck the
      Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click
      OK
    • Locate the C:\Users\Old Username folder, where
      C is the drive on which Windows is installed, and Old Username is the name of the profile you want to copy user data from.
    • Press and hold down the CTRL key while you click each file and subfolder in this folder, except the following files:

• Ntuser.dat

• Ntuser.dat.log

• Ntuser.ini
    • On the Edit menu, click
      Copy
    • Locate the C:\Users\New Username folder, where
      C is the drive on which Windows is installed, and New Username is the name of the user profile that you created in the "Create a New User Profile" section.
    • On the Edit menu, click
      Paste
    • Log off the computer, and then log on as the new user.

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 9, 2019
  4. User file in C drive that is not a user file

Removing a "hidden" user and user files

Thanks for your patience. I was able with "Net User" to remove the left over user. It no longer appears when I invoke Net User.

Now for the user's folder which remains behind. After performing the series of steps that you suggested, I attempted to delete this folder. The result again was an error message about permission
    User file in C drive that is not a user file 1579d3b5-d6d3-4481-ad8c-0dae5f689a1a.jpg

"Administrators" appears on the list in the list of advanced security.

RobertOBollinger, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

User file in C drive that is not a user file

1. User file in C drive that is not a user file - Similar Threads - User file drive

2. Users and files gone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Users and files gone: When i turned on my pc, it took time, when it finally did, it gave me 2 options - one, to continue to windows; two to repair windows. Me thinking everything was fine, i just clicked continue. Finally it loaded up as usual but i had to press ctrl alt delete to login, which i...
  3. Merged Documents file with User name file in C:/Users by accident and looking to fix them...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Merged Documents file with User name file in C:/Users by accident and looking to fix them...: Hello Today I merged my documents folder with my name folder by mistake, now I have my game saves and apps, programs, files together on the document file that is ment to be Lewis (my name file). The reason this happened was because I moved my documents (using the location...
  4. User files issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User files issue: Hi Today I moved my documents folder from D drive to C drive that's on an SSD, when I moved the document folder to users in C drive it overwrite my Lewis folder and placed all of my saved stuff with the apps, programs and other files/folders. I tried making a new name...
  5. why cant i change my USERS file name in drive C:/

why cant i change my USERS file name in drive C:/: I made an error when I first set up this pc and now I cant fix it....when I go into c drive and to my users file it wont let me rename the file and I have done a factory fresh reboot and it keeps adding my incorrect name to the same file and I cant change it or find a...
  6. Changing the name of the "Home" file in C:\Users

Changing the name of the "Home" file in C:\Users: It's been bugging me for so long because whenever something pulls up my account name it uses Home, and I really want to change it. Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-the-name-of-the-home-file-in-cusers/62b9d640-c05f-4eb6-be42-680f7a8fc4a3"
  7. An application file in this given location (C:\Users\Mahmudul Hasan...

An application file in this given location (C:\Users\Mahmudul Hasan...: Two days ago I have installed a software named "Foxit reader" from a third-party website. Now today I have suddenly noticed out that in my C drive which is 120GB is full and only a couple of bytes are left. Then I have found this application setup file named...
  8. Can not find script file { C:\users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\tempTETDJUV2BA.js }

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can not find script file { C:\users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\tempTETDJUV2BA.js }: System is giving me this error every single time i close it down. Can you tell me a way to fix it!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-find-script-file/48ad3cda-2332-49eb-b7e4-b7bb331c0310
  9. logged in user not shown in c:\users\user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    logged in user not shown in c:\users\user: I log onto my computer as "Joe", showing as a local account with administrator privileges, but there is no "joe" under c:\users\user. Instead, when I make changes, they show up in c:\users\users (Appdata and things like that). Could "Joe" somehow be an alias for "user"? When...
  10. User name not shown in C:\Users

User name not shown in C:\Users: Since updating from Win 7 to Window 10 - I have 'lost' the appropriate user name in C:\users. Therefore when trying to set 2 other computers to recognise this particular laptop is not possible. My account is Local, and the network is private. A visit to C:\users shows the...