Windows 10: user files are accessible to all users

Discus and support user files are accessible to all users in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am setting up a new computer. I am set up as administrator local account and I have added my kids as Other users local account-not administrator. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LW02, Jan 20, 2020.

1. LW02 Win User

user files are accessible to all users

I am setting up a new computer. I am set up as administrator local account and I have added my kids as Other users local account-not administrator. I do not want to set them up as a Microsoft accounts.

The new computer has one small hard drive for storing the operating system and a large hard drive for storing data. All user accounts were set up on the small drive. I changed all the user accounts to the other drive by following steps on Microsoft to move the folders under folder properties, doing it folder by folder-documents, then music, then pictures, etc. for each user. All the files in the various user accounts are synced with a local copy with Dropbox.

That seemed to work except that all of user files are accessible to all users. If you look on the folder properties for the folder, they all say they aren't shared but they are.

I am trying to fix this by going in to folder properties and changing the security settings. Under the security settings, the following groups have access to my administrator folder: Authenticated Users, SYSTEM, [my user account], Administrators, Users. Under Advanced, I disabled inheritance for the user account folder. Then I delete the access for user. That blocked access for other users to my some of my user folders but not others. I primarily care about access to my files.

Any suggestions for fixing this?

:)

2. File history on USB security user access

Hi,

To isolate this concern, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Open File History folder.
    • Select all the files that you don't want to be accessed.
    • Right-click on the highlighted files and choose Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Click on Advanced.
    • Select all the user account that you don't want to have access on your File History folder.
    • Click on Disable inheritance.
    • Lastly, click on OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Desiree Yau, Jan 20, 2020
  3. Kreij Win User
    Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Jan 20, 2020
  4. user files are accessible to all users

Removing a "hidden" user and user files

Thanks for your patience. I was able with "Net User" to remove the left over user. It no longer appears when I invoke Net User.

Now for the user's folder which remains behind. After performing the series of steps that you suggested, I attempted to delete this folder. The result again was an error message about permission
    user files are accessible to all users 1579d3b5-d6d3-4481-ad8c-0dae5f689a1a.jpg

"Administrators" appears on the list in the list of advanced security.

RobertOBollinger, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

user files are accessible to all users

1. user files are accessible to all users - Similar Threads - user files are

2. How can I access all files with all users on local device?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I access all files with all users on local device?: I have multiple users on my desktop PC, and I want all users to access all files across accounts. Just to be clear, I am not looking at how to share OneDrive files, everything is stored locally on a C: drive.How can I simply share apps and files so it's possible to use...
  3. How can I access all files with all users on local device?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I access all files with all users on local device?: I have multiple users on my desktop PC, and I want all users to access all files across accounts. Just to be clear, I am not looking at how to share OneDrive files, everything is stored locally on a C: drive.How can I simply share apps and files so it's possible to use...
  4. Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done

Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done: Is there any way to block a user from accessing the files of the main account in Win10?I have gone to security to find the other user's account to block, but I can't find it. Have tried adding it, but no where to be found.thanks...
  5. User - how to stop a user from accessing private files of the Administrator user?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User - how to stop a user from accessing private files of the Administrator user?: Can't find how to stop one extra user from accessing files of Administrator user.How can this be done?The other user is not family and does not have an email address, it is a user I can user to lock the PC when i'm not there, but still have access to it.Should I set up a...
  6. User - how to stop a user from accessing private files of the Administrator user?

User - how to stop a user from accessing private files of the Administrator user?: Can't find how to stop one extra user from accessing files of Administrator user.How can this be done?The other user is not family and does not have an email address, it is a user I can user to lock the PC when i'm not there, but still have access to it.Should I set up a...
  7. User - how to stop a user from accessing private files of the Administrator user?

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. User's Access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User's Access: Hello! Is there a way to restrict other users for viewing my files in my internal drive but they can still put files in it??? PS. sorry for my grammar tho LOL https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/users-access/9e6b634c-3fb1-4bac-b367-fb6015b8f513
  9. user is not accessible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    user is not accessible: I had a windows users that i cannot access, any document or program is not accessible. i was working using this user and i had all necessary programs installed. Once my computer restarted with blue screen since i cannot see that user on startuo screen. Although that folder...
  10. User access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User access: I have given myself full control of C: drive using properties/security. However if I try r click/New/Text document I get error 0x80070522 haven't got privilege. I am able to create a folder and create a text document in it....